From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Artwork featuring Reshiram and Zekrom
The Tao trio, sometimes called the energy trio, is the collective term used to refer to the three powerful legendary Pokémon of the Unova Region: Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem. According to Unova myths, the trio were created during the war plaguing the region.
Much like members of other legendary trios, the three Pokémon have similar appearances. Each has Dragon as their primary type. Both Reshiram and Zekrom have a base stat total of 680 while Kyurem's is 660.
Each of the members of the trio have control of their own types and sides. Reshiram represents the concept of yang and controls Fire, Zekrom represents the concept of yin and controls Thunder and Kyurem represents the concept of wuji (the absence of yin and yang) and controls Ice.
The mythologies of the trio are different yet somehow connected. The origins of Zekrom and Reshiram are told in legends, as they were once a single powerful Dragon Pokémon used by two brothers ruling the nation. However, the brothers' rule caused great conflicts as they fought over how best to rule the nation and, due to the fighting, the dragon was split into two separate Pokémon. Each dragon resided with its respective master, Reshiram with the older brother and Zekrom with the younger brother, and they decided to fight in an endless battle. It was foretold that they would fight until the region of Unova was destroyed. To stop the battle, the people decided to put both dragons into a deep sleep.
At the beginning of Black and White, one of them resides in the Dragonspiral Tower and either one of them were awakened by N to let history repeat itself.
Kyurem's origins are much different than those of the other two. The third dragon came down to Earth from an icy meteor and crashed into a place called Giant Chasm. An old legend in Lacunosa Town describing Kyurem claims that it would take people and Pokémon away from the town and eat them; this is why the town is now surrounded by a giant wall. Another claim is that Kyurem is the corpse of the original Dragon Pokémon after it had split into Reshiram and Zekrom.
Base stat comparison
- Like the legendary beasts in HeartGold and SoulSilver, each member of the trio share battle music that is slightly remixed to match their secondary typing.
- Zekrom's theme has a crackling thunder effect and Reshiram has a burning fire effect. However, Kyurem does not have a special effect, but has an extra slapped bass part playing in the background.
- It is so far the only legendary trio with no known trio master as of yet.
- Although, if Kyurem truly is what remains of the original dragon that Reshiram and Zekrom split from, Kyurem may, like Rayquaza, internally serve as the trio's master.
- This legendary trio is the first since the legendary birds to return to the three types being Fire, Electric and Ice-type, even though these types are secondary to Dragon.
- The eyes of each of the trio members references another member's secondary type.
- Reshiram's eyes are blue, referencing Kyurem's Ice type.
- Zekrom's eyes are red, referencing Reshiram's Fire type.
- Kyurem's eyes are yellow, referencing Zekrom's Electric type.