Talk:Beta Pokémon games
Should we reorganize the games' beta articles? For example, anything that belongs to the Gen I games, goes to an article about the Gen I games beta and apply the rest for the other gens. I'm suggesting this because I think it's unnecessary to have separate articles for the betas of RS, FRLG and E when I could simply go to an article with all the information. But that's just me... Any answers? Pokemon lover 15:52, 10 June 2009 (UTC)
When sould we create a page for HGSS?
When would be a good time to create a beta page for HGSS. Is it too early to create one and then protect it.--Pokéboy93 04:33, 11 July 2009 (UTC)
- It is too early. --エルレイド 04:38, 11 July 2009 (UTC)
Here's what I think is false that I found on the page: "Unlike earlier third versions, Emerald was not based on the coding of its counterpart pair, but instead on that of FireRed and LeafGreen. Thus, it has all locations and items that were programmed into the Kanto games, though they are not accessible, and the maps of Kanto consist of one blank tile."
That's not true. Emerald's engine is the Ruby/Sapphire engine, but with elements added in from FireRed and LeafGreen. The reason why the Kanto maps exist is because that way when you trade a Pokemon from FireRed and LeafGreen, it shows where in Kanto it was caught. That's the same reason why when you're in the trading room in Emerald with a FireRed or LeafGreen version, on the Emerald screen, instead of the other player appearing as Brendan/May, he/she appears as an R/S/E styled sprite of the FR/LG protagonist. The Kanto names weren't left over by accident, they were added in on purpose. Also the maps of Kanto are not one blank tile. According to the AdvanceMap program, the Kanto maps in Emerald aren't even one tile. They just exist as names with blank map data.
Also this false information is mentioned on the HG/SS page btw. Chaos Rush 21:55, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Why don't you remove it from the article then? Turtwig A Contributions Talk 21:56, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Because thats the only thing mentioned, so I'm not sure of any other beta things in Emerald, meaning that the section would just be empty. And also I can't edit the HG/SS page. bah whatever Chaos Rush 22:03, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Like I said, they added all of that in. Because other wise, they would have had to re-create EVERY SINGLE SCRIPT and EVERY SINGLE MAP and EVERY SINGLE MAP DATA FOR WILD POKEMON and I seriously doubt they would have wasted their time doing that. Also, explain why you have to press A to read a signpost, which is a FR/LG exclusive feature not present in Emerald. Do you think they would have left out a convenient feature? Of course not. They were too lazy to add it in. Chaos Rush 22:12, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
I know is very early still but....
I noticed there is no Crystal page. Aren't there any Crystal beta subjects? Lovely Rose 00:33, 10 February 2010 (UTC)
- I thought there was, maybe it's like Emerald, where it does not have a lot of beta things.--Midnight Blue 00:37, 10 February 2010 (UTC)
- If I have the chance, I'll search. YouTube and random GenII fansites might help.--immewnitythemew 01:34, 10 February 2010 (UTC)
Shouldn't there be a page for misc. Pokemon games? The spinoffs and whatnot. I noticed this Wiki states beta stuff about some of the spinoffs, along with having beta info about the games we have pages for that we don't include. Dia Sprite 00:14, 18 August 2011 (UTC)
Sorry i'm new to editing wikis, not sure where I should put edit notes, if any. Anyway, I removed the line "it also brought the suicide of hundreds of children and 3 programmers. From subliminal messages." from the Generation I section.
While creepypasta is amusing, this isn't the place for it. --Badgerjack 22:01, 29 March 2012 (UTC)
The term "beta" is downright incorrect as we don't have any development builds of the games available, with the exception of the leaked German version of a debugging ROM of Pokémon Ruby. And even that one isn't "beta". We don't know the stages of development to affirm that they correspond to the beta stage or not. Even then, it doesn't make sense to use the term as the articles have content referring to many other things other than a specific stage in the development of the games, such as pre-release information and post-release discoveries. SatoMew 23:55, 7 January 2013 (UTC)
- Seconded; this section using "beta" has annoyed me for this very reason for quite some time. I would recommend "Preliminary content" (eg "Preliminary content in Pokémon games" or "Preliminary content in Pokémon Black and White") in the place of "beta", as it strikes me as a decent umbrella phrasing to cover all facets of this section in a title. --some loser 01:37, 20 January 2013 (UTC)
- I think "development" is more appropriate as we need other kinds of information in these articles. For example, look at the "Development" section of the Pokémon game articles at Wikipedia.