Signature moves are moves that can only be learned by a single Pokémon or a very small select group of Pokémon by level-up (with the exception of Pikachu's Volt Tackle), usually in the same evolutionary line. They are mostly seen in legendary Pokémon, however, some other Pokémon have moves specific to themselves or their evolutionary line. Note that any of the moves included in this classification (except for Chatter) can be learned by Smeargle by use of Sketch, making Sketch and Chatter the only moves that are truly exclusive to one Pokémon legitimately.
List of Pokémon and their signature moves
Note: All levels listed are the level the Pokémon will learn the move as of Generation IV.
One-off signature moves
This is a list of signature moves that at only one point, another Pokémon had the ability to acquire:
- A Dratini that knows ExtremeSpeed is obtainable in Pokémon Crystal after answering a quiz in the Dragon's Den.
- A Skitty with Pay Day can be obtained from a special egg after depositing 500 Pokémon in Pokémon Box Ruby & Sapphire from a Game Boy Advance game pak.
- After Lugia from Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness has been purified, it learns Psycho Boost and FeatherDance.
- A Pikachu that knows Volt Tackle (and Surf) is available as a prize for beating all the Colosseums for the first time in Pokémon Battle Revolution. Those two moves are also available in some other event Pikachu.
- A Darkrai with Roar of Time and Spacial Rend was available as a special giveaway to commemorate the opening of the 10th movie.
Other signature move examples
- Although other Pokémon are capable of learning Drill Peck, Fearow, Dodrio, and Zapdos are shown to be the most common Pokémon to use it.
- The Squirtle evolution family and Sharpedo are the only Pokémon to learn Skull Bash by leveling up, but other Pokémon could learn it through TM40 in Generation I.
- Although Megahorn was Heracross's signature move prior to Generation III, it should be noted that it is still the only Template:Type2 Pokémon that can learn the move.
- Sudowoodo is the only Pokémon to learn Mimic by leveling up in Generation II, but other Pokémon could learn it through TM31 in Generation I and move tutor in Generation III.
- Lucario is usually associated with Aura Sphere and Force Palm, but eight Pokémon (including Lucario) can learn Aura Sphere in total. Seven Pokémon (including Lucario) can learn Force Palm.
- Eight Pokémon can currently learn Arcanine's former signature move, ExtremeSpeed.
- Goldeen and Seaking had Waterfall as their signature move in Generation I, before it was changed to a HM.
- In Generations II and IV, Hitmonlee is the only Pokémon who can learn Mega Kick. However, in Generations I and III, others could learn it through TM or move tutor.
- Jolteon and Vaporeon's signature moves are said to be Pin Missile and Acid Armor, respectively. Both abilities are alluded to in both Pokémon's various Pokédex entries. However, many Pokémon learn both moves by leveling up, and some through breeding.
- Suicune, being known as the Aurora Pokémon, is associated with the move Aurora Beam.
- Ditto has Transform as its only move; however, Mew is also able to learn it.
- Unown can learn only Hidden Power; however, almost every other Pokémon can learn it via TM10 in Generation II and beyond.
- Each of Rotom's forms has its own signature move that cannot be carried over to any of its other forms. However, none of these five moves are exclusive to it.