From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Zekrom and Reshiram using Bolt Strike and Blue Flare, their signature moves
Signature moves are moves that can only be learned by a single Pokémon or its evolutionary relatives usually in the same evolutionary line. Most are learned by level-up but some can be learned through other means when no Pokémon can learn the move by level up. Note that any of the moves included in this classification (except for Chatter) can be learned by Smeargle by use of Sketch, making Sketch and Chatter the only moves that are truly exclusive to one Pokémon legitimately. Also, some of these moves can be passed down via breeding to other Pokémon or are known by certain event Pokémon.
List of Pokémon and their signature moves
One-off signature moves
Victini using Fusion Flare, Fusion Bolt, and V-create
This is a list of signature moves that at only one point, another Pokémon had the ability to acquire:
Other signature move examples
- Lucario is usually associated with Aura Sphere and Force Palm, but nine Pokémon (including Lucario) can learn Aura Sphere in total plus two with Riolu from Almia and Raikou from Event. Seven Pokémon (including Lucario) can learn Force Palm. In Generation V, Lucario and Mienshao are the only Fighting-type Pokémon to learn Aura Sphere by leveling up.
- Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise are often associated with SolarBeam, Flamethrower, and Hydro Pump, respectively, due to them frequently being depicted using those moves in various Pokémon media (such as the anime).
- Waterfall was the signature move of Goldeen and Seaking in Generation I, before it became an HM. They are still the only ones to learn it by level up.
- In Generations II, IV and V and Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, Hitmonlee is the only Pokémon who can learn Mega Kick. However, in Generation I and Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, others could learn it through TM and Move Tutor respectively.
- As for Jump Kick, it was its signature move for the first three generations; however, Buneary and Lopunny can learn it in Generation IV and on.
- Electrode are most commonly seen using Explosion, with it being shown to use it most in the anime.
- Jolteon and Vaporeon's signature moves are said to be Pin Missile and Acid Armor, respectively. Both abilities are alluded to in both Pokémon's various Pokédex entries. However, many Pokémon learn both moves by leveling up, and some through breeding. Likewise, Umbreon's Moonlight matches Espeon's Morning Sun, though others can learn it even in its introductory generation.
- Suicune, being known as the Aurora Pokémon, is associated with the move Aurora Beam.
- Although Clefairy can learn Meteor Mash by leveling up in any Generation III game, the only Pokémon could have it legally before release of FireRed and LeafGreen were Metang and its evolved form, Metagross.
- Ditto has Transform as its only move and is most associated with it; however, Mew is also able to learn it.
- Unown can learn only Hidden Power; however, almost every other Pokémon can learn it via TM10 in Generation II and beyond.
- Each of Rotom's forms has its own signature move that cannot be carried over to any of its other forms. However, none of these five moves are exclusive to it.
- Although several Pokémon can learn it by TM, until Generation III only Diglett and Dugtrio could learn Dig by level up.
- Until Generation III, Koffing and Weezing were the only Poison-type Pokémon capable of learning Smog. As of Generation IV, they are still the only Poison-types to learn the move naturally, and all other Poison-types must be bred the move to have it.
- Prior to Generation V, Vigoroth is the only Pokémon to learn Focus Punch by leveling up, although many other Pokémon can learn it via TM01.
- Porygon-Z is the only Pokémon to learn Trick Room by leveling up, although that move can be learned via TM92.
- Almost every Pokémon is able to learn Facade via TM42. However, Chimchar is the only one to learn it by leveling up prior to Generation V.
- The move Razor Shell is tied to Oshawott's evolutionary line, although it can also be learned by Shellder.
- Although only Panpour and its evolution are the only Pokémon to learn Scald by leveling up, other Pokémon can learn it via TM55.
- Also, Pansage is currently the only Pokémon to learn Grass Knot by leveling up, yet other Pokémon can learn it via TM86.
- Sacred Sword is not technically considered a signature move in the traditional sense because it is not involved in a sole evolutionary line, but it is uniquely learned by the legendary musketeers.
- Although Blaze Kick was no longer Blaziken's signature move from Generation III, it remains the only Fire-type Pokémon to learn it by level up.
- The Venipede family are the only Pokémon besides Golem which can learn Steamroller. They are also the only Bug-type Pokémon to learn it.
- Audino is the only Pokémon able to learn Secret Power in Generation V, due to the removal of the TM which taught that move.
- Solosis and its evolutionary family are the only Pokémon able to learn Skill Swap in Generation V, due to the removal of the TM which taught that move.
- Castform was the only Pokémon capable of learning Weather Ball prior to Generation IV. However, due to Shadow moves only being present in Generation III, it remains the only Pokémon capable of taking advantage of Weather Ball's ???-type effect during Shadow Sky.
- Kadabra and Alakazam are the only Pokémon to learn Ally Switch by leveling up, but other Pokémon can learn it through TM51 in Generation V.
- Sawk is the only Pokémon to learn Rock Smash by leveling up, but other Pokémon can learn it through TM94 in Generation V.
- Emolga is the only Pokémon to learn Volt Switch by leveling up, but other Pokémon can learn it through TM72 in Generation V.
- No Pokémon can learn V-create outside of event distributions. Victini was the first to gain access to it and is often associated with the move. However, later, a Rayquaza with V-create was available as the winner of a popularity poll held in Japan in 2011, making it no longer Victini's signature move.
- So far, Hitmonlee has had the most signature moves, with four, albeit not at the same time. However, three of them were only temporarily Hitmonlee's signature moves, and now can be learned by other Pokémon. The other was also previously available to other Pokémon through TMs and Move Tutors.
- All Hoenn starter Pokémon could learn a signature move after evolution, although these moves can (from Generation IV onwards) be learned by other evolutionary families as well.
- Due to Smeargle's Sketch being able to copy signature moves, the only pure signature moves are Sketch itself and Chatter, which can only be learned by Chatot.