From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Zekrom and Reshiram using Fusion Bolt and Fusion Flare,one of their respective Signature moves.
Signature moves are moves that can only be learned by a single Pokémon or its evolutionary relatives by level-up, (unless the move cannot be learned by any Pokémon via level-up, in which case other methods are considered) usually in the same evolutionary line. Note that any of the moves included in this classification (except for Chatter) can be learned by Smeargle by use of Sketch, making Sketch and Chatter the only moves that are truly exclusive to one Pokémon legitimately. Also, some of these moves can be passed down via breeding to other Pokémon.
List of Pokémon and their signature moves
One-off signature moves
Victini using Fusion Flare, Fusion Bolt, and V-create
This is a list of signature moves that at only one point, another Pokémon had the ability to acquire:
Other signature move examples
- Although other Pokémon are capable of learning Drill Peck, Fearow, Dodrio, and Zapdos are shown to be the most common Pokémon to use it.
- The Squirtle evolution family and Sharpedo are the only Pokémon to learn Skull Bash by leveling up, but other Pokémon could learn it through TM40 in Generation I.
- Although Megahorn was no longer Heracross's signature move starting in Generation III, it was still the only Template:Type2 Pokémon that could learn the move prior to Generation V, where Megahorn is now learnable by Scolipede, Karrablast and Escavalier.
- Sudowoodo is the only Pokémon to learn Mimic by leveling up in Generation II, but other Pokémon could learn it through TM31 in Generation I and move tutor in Generation III.
- Lucario is usually associated with Aura Sphere and Force Palm, but eight Pokémon (including Lucario) can learn Aura Sphere in total. Seven Pokémon (including Lucario) can learn Force Palm. In Generation V, Lucario and Mienshao are the only Fighting-type Pokémon to learn Aura Sphere by leveling up.
- In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Charizard's trophy refers to Flamethrower as its signature move.
- Eight Pokémon can currently learn Arcanine's former signature move, ExtremeSpeed.
- Goldeen and Seaking had Waterfall as their signature move in Generation I, before it was changed to a HM. They are still the only ones to learn it by level up.
- In Generations II and IV, Hitmonlee is the only Pokémon who can learn Mega Kick. However, in Generations I and III, others could learn it through TM and move tutor respectively.
- As for Jump Kick, it was its signature move for the first three generations; however, it was discovered that Buneary and Lopunny can learn it in Generation IV.
- Electrode are most commonly seen using Explosion, with it being shown to use it most in the anime.
- Jolteon and Vaporeon's signature moves are said to be Pin Missile and Acid Armor, respectively. Both abilities are alluded to in both Pokémon's various Pokédex entries. However, many Pokémon learn both moves by leveling up, and some through breeding. Likewise, Umbreon's Moonlight matches Espeon's Morning Sun, though others can learn it even in its introductory generation.
- Suicune, being known as the Aurora Pokémon, is associated with the move Aurora Beam.
- Although Clefairy can learn Meteor Mash by leveling up in any Generation III game, the only Pokémon that were able to learn it legally before release of FireRed and LeafGreen were Metang and its evolved form, Metagross.
- Ditto has Transform as its only move and is most associated with it; however, Mew is also able to learn it.
- Unown can learn only Hidden Power; however, almost every other Pokémon can learn it via TM10 in Generation II and beyond.
- Each of Rotom's forms has its own signature move that cannot be carried over to any of its other forms. However, none of these five moves are exclusive to it.
- Although several Pokémon can learn it by TM, until Generation III only Diglett and Dugtrio could learn Dig by level up.
- Until Generation III, Koffing and Weezing were the only Poison-type Pokémon capable of learning Smog. As of Generation IV, they are still the only Poison-types to learn the move naturally, and all other Poison-types must be bred the move to have it.
- Though many others can learn it through TM or breeding, Skarmory is the only Pokémon to learn Steel Wing by leveling up.
- Also, this trait is shared with Volt Switch, which only Emolga can learn via level-up.
- Prior to Generation V, Vigoroth is the only Pokémon to learn Focus Punch by leveling up.
- Porygon-Z is the only Pokémon to learn Trick Room by leveling up, although that move can be learned via TM92.
- Almost every Pokémon is able to learn Facade via TM42. However, Chimchar is the only one to learn it by leveling up prior to Generation V.
- The move Razor Shell, although it can also be learned by Shellder, Oshawott's evolutionary line are tied to this move.
- Although only Panpour and its evolution are the only Pokémon to learn Scald by leveling up, other Pokémon can learn it via TM55.
- Also, Pansage is currently the only Pokémon to learn Grass Knot by leveling up, other Pokémon can learn it via TM86.
- Sacred Sword is not technically considered a signature move in the traditional sense because it is not involved in a sole evolutionary line, but it is uniquely learned by the musketeer trio.
- Although Blaze Kick was no longer Blaziken's signature move from Generation III, it remains the only Fire-type Pokémon to learn it by level up.
- The Venipede family are the only Pokémon besides Golem which can learn Steamroller. They are also the only Bug-type Pokémon to learn it.
- Audino is the only Pokémon to learn Secret Power as of Generation V, due to the removal of TM which taught that move.
- So far, Hitmonlee has had the most signature moves, with four. However, three of them were only temporarily Hitmonlee's signature moves, and now can be learned by other Pokémon. The other was also previously available to other Pokémon through TMs and Move Tutors.
- However, as of Generation V the Pokémon who possess the most signature moves is Vespiquen, with three, all of which are associated with its typing.