From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| This article is about shipping.|
As hints and evidence for ships are mostly speculation, this page may contain personal points of view.
SpecialShipping (Japanese: レイエ ReIe) is the belief that Red and Yellow belong in a romantic relationship. This pairing is one of the more popular ships; however, some consider it to be a one-sided ship on Yellow's part, since Red doesn't seem to return the feelings or even recognize them. The name is derived from the Japanese name of Pokémon Adventures: Pokémon Special. It is considered the rival of LuckyShipping and MangaPokéShipping. At times, the ship can be similar to HandymanShipping or AdvanceShipping, with Red playing the part of the mentor and Yellow as the student.
- Round 36, Drat That Dratini!
- Red and Yellow first met in the third volume, when Yellow got lost in the Viridian Forest and was attacked by a wild Dratini. Red rescues her just in time, by shoving her out of the way and restraining Dratini with Saur's vines. Even though she was never really hurt, he repeatedly asks if she's okay and guides her in catching her first Pokémon, Ratty. After escaping from the forest, Red teaches her that Pokémon will always be their friends as long as they care for them with a kind and gentle heart. The background appears to glimmer, and such backgrounds are sometimes used to represent a type of passion in both the anime and the manga. If the same logic applies in this case, then it can be said that this is a special moment Red and Yellow shared.
- Round 38, Long Live the Nidoqueen!?
- Later, after his battle with Giovanni, Red was nursed back to health by none other than Yellow. She states that she found him at the edge of the forest and is about to express her worry and concern for him when he interrupts. Some believe that Yellow was about to say something along the lines of fearing that Red had died. Yellow tells Red that nobody around her hometown is very good with Pokémon, that they need somebody that can teach them. Red understands that she means him and promises her to be the best Gym Leader there ever was, even yelling as he departs, "Wait for me!"
- In the fourth volume, taking place two years later, Yellow sets off on a journey to find Red—who is missing—by Green.
- It is shown in Green's flashback that Green told Yellow Red was in trouble, Yellow appears very shocked and concerned about him. Green asks Yellow to search for Red, and she agrees immediately without much hesitation.
- Yellow has drawn Red in her sketchbook. In this round, Red finds his Pokédex and Yellow's sketchbook, and sees a picture of himself in that sketchbook. In previous round, Green sees some pictures of Red in that sketchbook.
- When Yellow finally defeats Lance she gets sleepy and starts to fall. Red was the one that caught her.
- Yellow discovers that a piece of her Caterpie's String Shot is tied around both her and Red's pinky fingers, causing her to blush and freak out, as this is similar to the way lovers are often portrayed in some cultures as having red threads tied around their pinkies. (Since the manga is in greyscale, there's no way to conclusively know the color of the string, but it was probably white, like most String Shots.)
- At this point, Red suggests that he and Yellow actually live together. However, he still doesn't know Yellow is actually a girl. By the end of the seventh volume, everybody has figured this out except for Red. However, she makes no attempt to tell him the truth for a whole year, being too embarrassed and shy.
- Daisy asks Yellow if she hasn't told Red her real gender. Yellow blushes in embarrassment.
- Yellow and Daisy are concerned about Red's health, but Red still doesn't give up the test to become Viridian City's Gym Leader. It may be because Red remembers his promise to the little girl (Yellow) before, or because he just wants to be a gym leader.
- When Yellow's true gender is revealed to Red at the end of the chapter, he is shocked speechless, but seems to get over it quite quickly because of the current situation. At that point, Misty accidentally calls him, trying to reach Erika (since Erika lent her Pokégear to Red). Yellow is curious who to Red is talking to. To this, Green suggests in imitation of Red's earlier comment, "Why don't you all just live together?" This causes Red, Yellow, and Misty to all blush furiously.
- In the storyline, after Red and Yellow have been trapped on Team Rocket's airship by Team Rocket's Beast Warrior Trio, Orm and Sird wonder whether they should lock the two up in one room, and laugh that it would make a very touching reunion. It bringing up the "living together" comment once more except in a more serious condition.
- In addition, as Yellow and Mewtwo are being transported off the aircraft by Deoxys, Yellow swings out her fishing line, which catches Red's finger in the same way as her Caterpie's String Shot in the end of the Yellow saga.
- As Yellow is found by Green, Silver and Blue, she, despite being fast asleep, still has her mind on Red.
- When the Pokédex holders are frozen into stone, an unconscious Yellow is being held in the arms of Red.
- During the GSC series Yellow's Chuchu and Red's Pika show signs of affection for each other. The two Pikachu produce an egg which is later hatched into a Pichu by Gold.
- Yellow received a Pokédex from Red.
- Another name for SpecialShipping is CallabaroShipping.