From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| This article is about shipping.|
As hints and evidence for ships are mostly speculation, this page may contain personal points of view.
NegaiShipping (Japanese: サトアイ SatoAi) is the belief that Ash Ketchum and Iris belong in a romantic relationship. Currently, it is the main pairing of the Best Wishes series, along with WishfulShipping.
- Iris blushes slightly upon meeting Ash and throughout most of the episode. Also, Iris becomes surprisingly excited and even leans in close to Ash when he mentions his and Pikachu's encounter with the legendary Pokémon Zekrom. Later on, after Pikachu and Axew are stolen by Team Rocket, Ash jumps up and falls down to the ground. Iris immediately jumps down from the tree, asking if Ash is alright, rather than trying to save the pokemon.
- Iris and Ash spend the majority of the episode arguing. During a rescue of some Pokémon, however, Ash loses his grip on a bridge made of Sandile, but Iris is there to grab his wrist, keeping hold of him as the Sandile righten themselves to safety. Afterward, the two look to each other and smile, having silently reconciled their differences. It is to be noted, however, they shared this look a moment later with the main Sandile; ultimately, it means, "A job well done."
- Iris marvels at how Ash saved and treated the Tepig before capturing it.
Iris watching Ash's gym battle
- During Ash's gym battle with Cilan, Chili, and Cress, while the brothers' fans stayed on one side of the arena to cheer on the Gym Leaders, Iris stays on the opposing side and quite blatantly gazes at Ash with a look that could easily be interpreted as attraction or cool admiration (among others, both positive and negative, given she's been calling him a "kid" up until now, and not kindly).
- After Ash beats Cilan, Iris is impressed with Ash's performance and whispers his name while watching him celebrate. After Ash receives his badge from Cilan, he shows off to Iris who quickly criticizes him. Ash then challenges Iris to a battle, to which she refuses, somewhat embarrassed. After this, Cilan asks Ash if he and Iris are traveling together. Iris yells that they aren't and runs off. Later, once Cilan has formally joined Ash's travel party, Ash and Cilan are on their way to leave Striaton City. As Ash wonders where Iris is, she appears from a tree, surprising him. After being asked by Ash to join him and Cilan on their journey, she is overjoyed and excitedly accepts his invitation.
- During the battle between Iris and Cilan, Iris seems to pay just as much attention to Ash than the battle at hand. Most of the time she and Ash argue over battle strategies and why she isn't battling him. Iris was too busy arguing to tell Axew how to counterattack, and it ended up taking a SolarBeam at close range. Throughout the episode Iris is surprised that Ash wants to battle her so much.
- When Trip was leaving after he "canceled" the request to battle, She took up for Ash and helped convince Trip to change his mind. Iris blatantly gazes at Ash with a look that could easily be interpreted as attraction or cool admiration for the second time, during his battle with Trip. Also, Iris seems to be genuinely concerned when Ash is losing the battle to Trip, having a look of fear on her face and frantically yelling at him when he doesn't know the ability of Trip's Pururiru.
- Iris grabs Ash's shoulder in an affectionate way when asking Lenora what type of Trainer he is. She is also very concerned about Ash's depressed attitude after he lost the gym battle.
- Ash seems a little disappointed when Iris was missing the morning after their meeting.
- After his battle with Cilan, Ash happily shows his badge to Iris and asks her opinion. Iris criticizes Ash for his choices in battle and he is upset, not expecting that answer from her. Also, Ash seems to be upset when Iris declares that he and she are not traveling together and takes off on her own. At Cilan's suggestion, Ash formally invites Iris to travel with him through the Unova region.
- Ash is annoyed that Iris would not battle him and that she battled Cilan instead. He continuously asks her for a battle throughout the episode. Also, Ash reassured Iris that they would get Axew back after it was taken by a wild Pendra.
- Cilan notes that both Ash and Iris give off an "interesting flavor" when they are together.
- Both Ash and Iris own Pokémon that do not reside within a Poké Ball: Ash's Pikachu and Iris's Axew.
- Both have at times shown an impulsive nature, especially when protecting their Pokémon.
- Both Ash and Iris have owned Pokémon that have refused to obey them at one point (Ash's Pikachu, Charizard and Primeape and Iris's Excadrill).
- Ash and Iris are the only main characters in the series to own a Dragon-type Pokémon (Ash's Gible and Iris's Axew).
- Coincidentally, both Gible and Axew have trouble executing a certain Dragon-type move, Draco Meteor and Dragon Rage, respectively.
- Also, Gible and Axew are both part of a three-stage evolutionary line that retain the same type throughout their evolution.
- Both Ash and Iris own Pokémon that were recently hatched from eggs: Ash's Zuruggu and Iris's Axew.
- Both Ash and Iris own Pokémon that have revealed that their primary goal is to reach their final evolutionary stage (Ash's Butterfree and Iris's Axew).
- Coincidentally, both Butterfree and Axew are part of a three-stage evolutionary line.
- Also, both Pokémon were raised from and expressed this goal in their first evolutionary stage.
- Negai is from the Japanese characters 願い (negai) to mean 'wish' (in terms of 'desire,' 'prayer,' or 'request'). It is used as an alternate name over WishShipping, after the title of the Japanese series "Best Wishes."
- AaIL - stands for Ash and Iris Love
- サトアイ SatoAi - meaning Satoshi and Iris (ai being the phonetic pronunciation of the long i sound)