From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Shadow Lugia|
ダークルギア Dark Lugia
| This Pokémon is fully evolved.
Shadow Lugia (Japanese: ダークルギア Dark Lugia), codenamed XD001, is a Lugia corrupted by the criminal organization Cipher. It is believed to be the ultimate Shadow Pokémon, completely immune to purification. As a sign of its corruption, unlike other Shadow Pokémon, Lugia's appearance changes from that of a normal Lugia. Shadow Lugia has only been seen in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness.
Shadow Lugia attacking the S.S. Libra
In the prologue of Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, Shadow Lugia attacks the cruise ship S.S. Libra, which had been carrying many Pokémon to Orre. However, Shadow Lugia drops the ship in the middle of the desert leading to Cipher having to catch the Pokémon left in the ship.
During the course of the game, Shadow Lugia is mentioned often, but never seen. One of Cipher's administrators, Lovrina, tells Michael that it was she who created Shadow Lugia, and reveals that she has perfected it to be immune to purification when he encounters her again on Citadark Isle.
Also on Citadark Isle, Michael finally confronts Lugia, sent out by Greevil to defeat the boy before the other six (also Shadow) members of his party.
After snagging Lugia, Michael will find that Lovrina was right—Shadow Lugia cannot be purified through battling with it, using colognes, or by any other normal means. However, the Purify Chamber, which was jointly developed by Michael's father and Professor Krane, will be able to purify it, but only if all nine of the Sets within it are at maximum tempo.
In the TCG
Shadow Lugia was featured in the TCG as a promotional card. The English version was given out to attendants of the Nintendo Pre Electronic Entertainment Expo conference. This card was also distributed at the Nintendo World Store in New York in October 2005. This card was released as a Jumbo card and was therefore not legal to use in tournaments or official events, due to its unusual 300 hit-points and its only attack, Shadow Storm, has an incredible 1000 damage (also the highest amount of damage on any known card). It has the same artwork as the Pokémon XD box art.
- Shadow Lugia, available in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, is the only way to get Lugia without an event in Generation III. Its counterpart, Ho-Oh, is only available by purifying all Shadow Pokémon in XD's predecessor, Pokémon Colosseum, and then defeating all 100 Trainers at Mt. Battle in Colosseum Mode.
- The text on the Aura Reader is different with Shadow Lugia. Instead of saying "Oh! A Shadow Pokémon!", it says "The Aura Reader is responding! It is a Shadow Pokémon."
- Though it is more than just a palette swap, Shadow Lugia's color scheme is the reverse of a normal Lugia.
- While Shadow Lugia is never shown to be officially "owned" by a Trainer (as it appears to lack a Poké Ball and its "Trainer" already carries 6 Pokémon), Michael uses the Snag Machine on Shadow Lugia.
- Purifying Shadow Lugia is the only way to obtain a Pokémon other than Deoxys that knows Psycho Boost.
In other languages
For more information on this Pokémon's species in the normal form, see Lugia.