From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Professor Elm (Japanese: ウツギ博士 Dr. Utsugi) is the resident Pokémon Professor of New Bark Town in the Johto region. Saying so himself, Professor Elm studies unusual Pokémon Abilities. He also specializes in Pokémon breeding, and is credited with the discovery of Pokémon Eggs. According to Professor Oak, in HeartGold and SoulSilver, Professor Elm "is the best when it comes to the research of Pokémon evolution."
Elm gives one of the three starter Pokémon of Johto—Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile—to Ethan, KrisC, or LyraHGSS so that he or she will have an easier time getting to Mr. Pokémon's house.
In the games
Elm's art from Gold, Silver, and Crystal.
Professor Elm works at his Laboratory in New Bark Town with his aide. He lives in a small house near his laboratory with his wife and son, who wants to grow up to be a Pokémon Professor like his dad. Elm is known for being a little scatter-brained and disorganized when he gets wrapped up with his research. He holds Professor Oak in high regards. At the start of Pokémon Gold, Silver, Crystal, HeartGold, and SoulSilver he gives the player his or her first starter Pokémon.
After successfully hatching the Egg containing Togepi, he gives the player an Everstone.
After obtaining all eight Johto Badges, Elm gives the player a Master Ball; after defeating the Elite Four, he gives the player a ticket to the S.S. Aqua.
In Generation II
In Gold, Silver, and Crystal, Professor Elm will give out one of these Pokémon to Trainers.
In Generation IV
As in Gold, Silver and Crystal, Elm will give out one of these Pokémon in HeartGold and SoulSilver.
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Gold, Silver and Crystal
New Bark Town
- "<player>! There you are! I needed to ask you a favor. I have an acquaintance called Mr. Pokémon. He keeps finding weird things and raving about his discoveries. Anyway, I just got an e-mail from him saying that this time it's real. It is intriguing, but we're busy with our Pokémon research. Could you look into it for us? I'll give you a Pokémon for a partner. They're all rare Pokémon that we just found. Go on. Pick one!"GS
- "<player>! There you are! I needed to ask you a favor. I'm conducting new Pokémon research right now. I was wondering if you could help me with it, <player>. You see... I'm writing a paper that I want to present at a conference. But there are some things I don't quite understand yet. So! I'd like you to raise a Pokémon that I recently caught."C
- "But... Please, I need your help!"
- "Thanks, <player>! You're a great help! When I announce my findings, I'm sure we'll delve a bit deeper into the many mysteries of Pokémon. You can count on it! Oh, hey! I got an e-mail! .................. Hm... Uh-huh... Okay... Hey, listen. I have an acquaintance called Mr. Pokémon. He keeps finding weird things and raving about his discoveries. Anyway, I just got an e-mail from him saying that this time it's real. It is intriguing, but we're busy with our Pokémon research... Wait! I know! <player>, can you go in our place? I want you to raise one of the Pokémon contained in these Balls. You'll be that Pokémon's first partner, <player>! Go on. Pick one!"
- If player tries to go away
- "Wait! Where are you going?"
- If talked to before choosing Pokémon
- "If a wild Pokémon appears, let your Pokémon battle it!"
- Player is choosing Cyndaquil
- "You'll take Cyndaquil, the fire Pokémon?"
- Player is choosing Totodile
- "Do you want the Totodile, the water Pokémon?"
- Player is choosing Chikorita
- "So, you like Chikorita, the grass Pokémon?"
- If player answered no when choosing
- "Think it over carefully. Your partner is important."
- After player chose Pokémon
- "I think that's a great Pokémon, too! Mr. Pokémon lives near Cherrygrove, the next city. It's almost a direct route to there. If your Pokémon is hurt, you should heal it with this machine. Oh, here's my phone number. Call me if something comes up." (registers number)GS
- "I think that's a great Pokémon, too! Mr. Pokémon lives a little bit beyond Cherrygrove, the next city over. It's almost a direct route there, so you can't miss it. But just in case, here's my phone number. Call me if anything comes up!" (registers number) "If your Pokémon is hurt, you should heal it with this machine. Feel free to use it anytime. <player>, I'm counting on you!"C
- If talked to after choosing Pokémon
- "Mr. Pokémon goes everywhere and finds rarities. Too bad they're just rare and not very useful... <player>, I'm counting on you!"GS
- "Mr. Pokémon goes everywhere and finds rarities. Too bad they're just rare and not very useful..."C
- If talked to after Silver steals Pokémon
- "<player>, this is terrible... Oh, yes, what was Mr.Pokémon's big discovery?" (player hands over egg) "This? But... Is it a Pokémon Egg? If it is, it is a great discovery! What?!?! Prof.Oak gave you a Pokédex? <player>, is that true? Th-that's incredible! He is superb at seeing the potential of people as trainers. Wow, <player>. You may have what it takes to become the Champion. You seem to be getting on great with Pokémon too. You should take the Pokémon Gym challenge. The closest Gym would be the one in Violet City. ...<player>. The road to the championship will be a long one. Before you leave, make sure that you talk to your mom."
- If talked to again after theft
- "Don't give up! I'll call if I learn anything about that Egg!"
- When going to Mr. Pokémon
- "Hello, <player>? Try not to overdo it. Be sure to heal your Pokémon if they are hurt."
- After visiting Mr. Pokémon
- "Hello, <player>? Did you meet Mr. Pokémon? Great! Come back safely!"
- After exiting Mr. Pokémon house (automatic call)
- "H-hello? <player>? It's a disaster! Uh, um, it's just terrible! What should I do? It... Oh, no... Please get back here now!"
- After Silver steals Pokémon
- "<player>? I'm very upset now. We had a Pokémon stolen from here. How could anyone do that?"
- "Hello, <player>? We're checking the Egg now. It does appear to be a Pokémon Egg.
- After collecting 7th badge (automatic call)
- "<player>, how are things going? I called because something weird is happening with the radio broadcasts. They were talking about Team Rocket. <player>, do you know anything about it? Maybe Team Rocket has returned. No, that just can't be true. Sorry to bug you. Take care!"
- Pokérus comment (automatic call)
- "Hello, <player>? I discovered an odd thing. Apparently there's something called Pokérus that infects Pokémon. Yes, it's like a virus, so it's called Pokérus. It multiplies fast and infects other Pokémon too. But that's all. It doesn't seem to do anything, and it goes away over time. I guess it's nothing to worry about. Bye!"
HeartGold and SoulSilver
- After beating Team Rocket
- "Hello, is this <player>? Just one more Badge to go before you collect all the Johto Badges! Blackthorn's Gym Leader is said to be a pretty powerful Dragon Tamer! ...Click!..."
In the anime
Professor Elm in the anime
Elm was the top student of Professor Oak, and often argues with him over their research. Elm is also well known for his very long and unnecessary speeches. He is also absent-minded and Elm has a habit of getting incredibly wrapped up in his research that he is completely oblivious to his surroundings.
Ash, Misty, and Brock first met Professor Elm in the episode Don't Touch That 'dile. After a period of travel, they met up again while he was studying in the Whirl Islands with Captain Marius, and finally again when Ash returns to New Bark Town.
As the head of the Pokémon Preservation Council, he asked Ash to deliver an Egg that had been poached from Mt. Silver to him. This hatched into a Larvitar, which Professor Elm then asked Ash to deliver to its home.
His most recent appearance was a short cameo in The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon.
This listing is of Professor Elm's known Pokémon in the anime:
| Professor Elm's Corsola is his only known Pokémon that he actually owns, it is very fond of pools. This Corsola inspired Misty to try to catch her own Corsola. It first appeared when Ash, Misty and Brock where blasted off the boat by Team Rocket and into the water with raging whirlpools, Corsola found the trio and helped them.
Later when Team Rocket have captured all the Pokémon in the swimming pool, Corsola jumps into the water, it tries a Tackle but Weezing attacks which Corsola dodges and defeats Arbok. It then uses Spike Cannon and sends Team Rocket blasting off.
Corsola's known moves are Tackle and Spike Cannon.
|| Around the Whirlpool
Gives to new Trainers
Gave away to new Trainers
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
In Pokémon Adventures, he was initially to be brought several Pokémon by Joey from Professor Oak, but before that happened, the Totodile that he was studying was stolen, and he was knocked unconscious before he could do anything. Gold then arrived and took Cyndaquil as well to catch the thief.
After Gold first battled with the Masked Man at the Ilex Forest and lost, Elm was able to get a sample of his clothing and found particles on them, but he did not know what they were. Elm then contacted Gold when he was battling the Masked Man for a second time, informing him that the particles on the clothes are the same substance used for Gym Badges, and that the Masked Man must be a Gym Leader. He tells Gold that he shouldn't try to fight him, but Gold simply replies with "It's too late".
A while beforehand, he decided that Gold was trustworthy enough to try to hatch an Egg for him, saying that it hadn't moved an inch while it was in the lab. While the Egg did hatch into a Togepi, due to Gold's habits of visiting arcades while it was an Egg, it learned how to play dice, pool, and poker, making Elm furious about how Gold had turned it into a delinquent. Little did he know, with Togepi's aggression came Gold's innate talent for bringing the fullest potential of baby Pokémon, allowing it to easily defeat the wild Gligar that tried to eat it right before it hatched (and the Tyranitar that Silver borrowed from Lance).
Joey stays behind with him to help Elm with chores and research.
Afterwards, both Joey and Elm make a cameo in the DP saga, talking with Professor Rowan via videophone.
| Sentret is the only known Pokémon of Professor Elm's. It is usually with him when he was in his lab.
|| Murkrow Row
Gives to new Trainers
|| Megaree ♂
- Main article: Megaree
Megaree (Japanese: メガぴょん Megapyon) ran away from Professor Elm's lab as it wanted to go out on an adventure when it was a Chikorita. Crystal found the Chikorita and was able to catch it along with a Victreebel. Crystal was reluctant to keep Chikorita on her team. But after noticing some strength it had, she decides to keep it on her team.
|| Murkrow Row
|| Exbo ♂
- Main article: Exbo
Gold was loaned a Cyndaquil to get back the Totodile Silver stole in the lab. However, as Gold went out on his journey, he kept the Cyndaquil and nicknamed it .
|| Murkrow Row
In the Pokémon Pocket Monsters manga
Professor Elm in Pokémon Pocket Monsters
Professor Elm appears in the Johto saga of Pokémon Pocket Monsters. He recommends Gold and Silver to Professor Oak as the chosen Trainers to get their first Pokémon. He even introduces them to Red.
Unlike other media, he was not seen giving away the Johto starters to new trainers yet. Professor Elm makes a cameo in Pocket Monsters BW along with the other professors.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Professor Elm in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
- Professor Elm is the only professor in the main series that doesn't welcome the player to the world of Pokémon at the start of the game. Professor Oak takes his place instead.
- As such, he is also the only Professor without a large in-game sprite, having only the overworld sprite.
- Professor Elm is also the only Professor to give the player character a starter Pokémon that does not also give them a Pokédex.
- In the anime, Professor Elm is the only professor that didn't give one of his starter Pokémon to a main character.
|| Reference to
|| ウツギ博士 Dr. Utsugi
|| ウツギ Utsugi, Deutzia.
| English, Spanish
|| Professor Elm
|| Elm tree, following the naming of Professor Oak.
|| Professeur Orme
|| Orme means elm in French.
|| Professor Lind
|| Linde means lime tree in German.
|| 공박사 Dr. Gong
|| 공 is from 空 which is taken from 空木 Utsugi, Deutzia.
|| 空木博士 Dr. Kōngmù
|| 空木 is from 空木 Utsugi. Can mean "hollow wood" or "sky tree".