From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the Professors specializing in Pokémon. For the TCG tournament term, see Professor Program (TCG).
A Pokémon Professor (Japanese: ポケモン博士 Pokémon Expert) is considered an expert on Pokémon in his or her respective region. Pokémon Professors are often researchers as well, and many times they are the ones responsible for distributing Pokédexes and giving the player their first Pokémon. The first Pokémon Professor introduced in the games and anime, Professor Oak, was also the first NPC ever seen in the main series games. He also has made the most appearances in the main series games, appearing in all games but the Hoenn-based ones and the Unova-based ones.
Several known Pokémon Professors have had reports published in Pokémon Researchers Monthly, such as "Pokémon adaptive variation as a function of regional distribution" by Professor Ivy and "Challenges facing anthro-Pokémon global co-habitation" by Professor Oak.
Pokémon Professors from regions in the main series of Pokémon games are all named after trees.
List of Pokémon professors
Others in the main series
Other fields of study
In the anime
Other professors, scientists, and researchers introduced in the anime include:
- Dr. Fuji, creator of Mewtwo.
- Professor Westwood V of the Seafoam Islands, Kanto.
- Professor Ivy of the Orange Islands, who studies the regional differences between Pokémon.
- Gary Oak of Pallet Town, Kanto, is a Pokémon researcher known to have researched Fossil Pokémon, successfully resurrecting a living Aerodactyl and researching the habitat of supposedly extinct Shieldon. He has also shown interest in the legendary Pokémon of Sinnoh.
- Dr. Gordon of Saffron City, Kanto, Pokémon inventions specialist.
- Professor Jacuzzi, Gulpin specialist.
- Professor Lund of LaRousse City, Hoenn, the leading authority on Deoxys.
- Professor Kodama, inventor of the "Affinity enabler".
- Dr. Namba, a Team Rocket scientist.
- Dr. Wiseman, a researcher of Shiny Pokémon
Other fields of Pokémon study
Pokémon computer scientists
Other fields of study
In the manga
Other professors, scientists, and researchers introduced in the various manga include:
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
- Professor Yanase Berlitz of the Sinnoh region who researched ways to control legendary Pokémon such as Rayquaza.
- Professor Berlitz of the Sinnoh region who works as an assistant to Professor Rowan.