Pokémon Platinum Version
Pokémon Platinum (Japanese: ポケットモンスター プラチナ Pocket Monsters Platina) is a sister game to Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, and is the third Generation IV main series game. The mascot is Giratina. It will take place in the Sinnoh region and the player's starting location will be Twinleaf Town, just like Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. The game was first seen on May 11, 2008 when a low-resolution cell-phone picture of an upcoming issue of CoroCoro magazine was leaked around the Internet. On May 15, the magazine was officially released and the game was also officially confirmed by Nintendo.
Known changes from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
- Lucas, Dawn and Pearl will have different outfits designed for colder weather, apparently due to Sinnoh's climate suddenly dropping in temperature.
- The template for the level, HP, and name of Pokémon in battle is a dark gray instead of white.
- The Pokétch has been redesigned.
- When Pokémon are sent out from their Poké Balls, the back view animation will have been changed, along with the front view animations. Much like the animations introduced in Pokémon Emerald and carried over to Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, these entry animations will consist of two frames with various distortions to the sprite.
- When battling certain trainers such as Gym Leaders, their sprites are now animated to move in the same manner as Pokémon.
- Several, if not all of the gyms, have apparently been given redesigns.
- Lucas and Dawn have been seen utilizing a flashlight.
- Gym Leader closeups, just before a Gym battle, have been changed from enlarged sprites to higher-quality drawings.
- The player meets Professor Rowan and the opposite gender character earlier, and obtains his or her starter Pokémon at Route 201.
- The player and his rival now encounter Cyrus at Lake Verity at the start of the game.
- Dialga and Palkia will both appear on Spear Pillar. Giratina then phases into the dimension in front of Cyrus.
- A new area known as the Torn World (Japanese: やぶれたせかい Torn World) will be playable. A small screenshot depicts it with floor-like sections floating at ninety-degree angles from each other, creating an effect similar to the art of M. C. Escher. Another screenshot depicts Lucas surfing downward along a waterfall. Giratina, when here, will be in its Origin Forme. It is unknown if other Pokémon will be wild in the area. A video has shown that the camera angle switches between perspective and isometric views to suit the angle of the player. It also shows moving platforms with jumpable gaps between them.
- At least two new characters will be added. One is a professor of Team Galactic, and one is a police officer spying on Team Galactic, using the codename “Handsome” (Japanese: ハンサム).
- There will be a battle with the rival against Flint and Volkner.
- Team Galactic's plans for world domination and the layout of their HQ have been changed. In addition, Team Galactic openly recognizes its goal and is more widely known.
- Giratina can appear both as Another Forme and Origin Forme in Platinum. It will appear in Origin Forme while in the Torn World, and in Another Forme while out of it. It is unknown if there is an item to transform it to its Origin Forme outside of the Torn World.
- The ability of Origin Forme is Levitate.
- Shaymin's new form is called Sky Forme and takes on a canine appearance. Its ability is Serene Grace and the form is focused on Speed and Special Attack. It will be able to learn new moves like Air Slash and Leaf Storm.
- Shaymin will be able to change between its two forms via the use of the Glacidea Flower (Japanese: グラシデアのはな). This item will not work at night or if Shaymin is frozen.
- Regirock, Regice and Registeel will be catchable at level 30 with the help of an event Regigigas that has been distributed in Japan.
- The Wi-Fi area has been enhanced with the Wi-Fi Square, which supports up to 20 people at a time. The new area seems to focus exclusively on mini-games, which include Rapid Wobbuffet, where you hit a Wobbuffet, and Merry Mime Jr., where you balance Mime Jr. on a ball.
- The Poffin making has been modified with a new feature involving a Swalot machine, into which Berries can be thrown. This can be done over Wi-Fi in the new Wi-Fi area.
- There is a new key item called the Battle Recorder, which allows players to record battles they take part in and share them with friends over the GTS.
- More Pokémon, such as Piplup, will be allowed in Amity Square.
- A new Battle Frontier will take the place of the Battle Zone. It is confirmed to have the Battle Tower and Battle Factory as venues.
- Areas such as Eterna City seem to have been refurbished with new foliage and building designs. Other places such as the Canalave Library and the Cycling Road have also changed. Snow is also more prevalent.
- An arch now represents the entrance to Floaroma Town. It is unknown if this will be also applied to other towns and cities.
- The GTS in Jubilife City has been improved and now includes a bigger global terminal. It now has the ability to send mail to friends.
- Platinum Lucas.PNG
- Platinum Dawn3.PNG
- Jun Platinum.png
The new Pokétch
- Vs shaymin.gif
Shaymin's Sky Forme in wireless battles
- Vs giraina origin.gif
Against Giratina's Origin Forme with a new, altered battle screen
- PlatinumNew sprites.gif
- PlatinumNew char.gif
Two new characters. Second frame: "The world is at risk. I'm a member of the International Police." Third frame: "Come now, Mars! This is the part where we retreat."
- Shaymin glacidea.gif
The Glacidea Flower
- PlatinumSpear pillar.gif
At Spear Pillar. "Make me a new galaxy! Create for me a universe!"
- Torn world.gif
The Torn World
"The energy to replace this world...I have the power I've dreamed of at my disposal!"
The new GTS
- PlatinumBattle place.gif
Sinnoh's version of the Battle Frontier
A new way to make Poffins
- This is the first game where a version mascot's primary color is not the name of the game. However, while no color is especially dominant in Giratina's color scheme, it has gray elements that the "Platinum" may refer to, and the names Giratina and Platina share the same word ending.
- Unless the Sinnoh Dex is altered, Platinum will be the first game to feature a mascot not found in the game's regional Pokédex. Although this probably is possible since a Pokémon not native to Sinnoh can be traded to Diamond and Pearl safely before the National Dex is obtained.
- Platinum is the first game to be named after a metal since Pokémon Gold and Silver. However, both Gold and Silver are also considered colors, making Platinum the first game named solely after a metal.
- It also makes Generation IV the first generation in which two game names have the same first initial in English (Pearl and Platinum). However, other languages have had the same initial in their game names, with Spanish Azul and Amarillo for Blue and Yellow and German Saphir and Smaragd for Sapphire and Emerald. Coincidentally, all three of these are the respective second and third versions of their generation.
- Two of the mini-games feature Team Rocket's Pokémon: Wobbuffet and Mime Jr.
- Long before the CoroCoro scan was revealed, a Pokémon magazine revolving mainly around the TCG and anime called Beckett Pokémon had a tiny section saying that a game called Pokémon Platinum would come out in America in 2009. The magazine most likely had fake sources, so this is a coincidence.
- Official Pokémon Platinum Japanese Website
- Story on Bulbanews
- More Information on Pokémon Platinum
- Official Pokémon Platinum Trailer
- Official Second Pokémon Platinum Trailer