Pokémon Learning League
The Pokémon Learning League was a web-based educational series that used the main characters from the Pokémon anime to teach students in the areas of science, math, language arts, and life skills. The site was aimed at American children in grades 3 to 6. The site was free when it was first set up in the Fall of 2006 but was later only viewable through a paid subscription service after January 1, 2007. On August 1, 2008 the site stopped taking new subscribers, and it now redirects to Pokémon.com.
It should be noted that there are many variations from the main anime canon, including the existence of the PokéPilot. Additionally, the fourth wall was often broken by the characters either asking for help or thanking the person doing the lesson. The animation used for the website was done using Adobe Flash.
The Mission Guides are characters created specifically for the Pokémon Learning League to assist the student and the characters in the four types of subject matter. As such, they don't appear in any media outside of the Pokémon Learning League.
- Ada is the Mission Guide for Mathematics.
- Lex is the Mission Guide for Language Arts.
- Quinn is the Mission Guide for Life Skills.
- Siara is the Mission Guide for Science.
Lessons in the Pokémon Learning League are divided up into three parts.
In the Watch segments, students are introduced to one or more characters from the Pokémon anime who have a problem. They then turn to the PokéPilot (and thus, the Mission Guide for that particular content area) to help them solve their problem.
In the Try segments, students follow a guided practice along with the characters from the Watch segment. The Try segment reinforces the lesson taught in Watch, often mirroring the order that the process was followed there.
In the Apply segments, students play a game on their own (with minimal interference from the Mission Guide or any character) and apply the skill or skills that they have been taught. The Apply segments often end in a short video that shows the anime characters solving their problem.
- List of all the Math lessons
- List of all the Science lessons
- List of all the Language Arts lessons
- List of all the Life Skills lessons
- When Dawn appeared on the site, her clothing was altered so that her white undershirt has long, white sleeves and she is wearing tights.
- Officer Jenny was voiced by Kayzie Rogers instead of Emily Williams (her current voice actress at the time). Kayzie had voiced Jenny before, but only in The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon.
- None of the Pokémon were voiced by their Japanese voice actors, including Pikachu.
- All of the episodes of the Learning League are non-canon from the main anime series. For example, some episodes being set in the Hoenn region, the two-part Media being set in Goldenrod City even though May and Max haven't been there before, having some that are centered on Misty or having some other character, like Brawly and Roxanne, making an appearance.
- Misty's skin color is different on the site. Her skin has a white color to it, while in the anime, her skin is the regular peach color.
- In some episodes, the characters will sometimes do something they normally wouldn't do or act out of character. For example, Brock in the Making Friends episode or Ash in the Self-Control episode.
- There would also be some points where you can see some errors in the character animation. This was most likely due to the limitations of the Flash animation or they weren't caught when the episodes were finished.
- Some of the lessons would now be out-of-date due to some of the content being changed or updated, like the Food Pyramid lesson.