| Pikachu's Rescue Adventure
The Pikachu Expedition
|| July 17, 1999
| United States
|| July 21, 2000
|| 園田英樹 Hideki Sonoda
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Animation director
|| 玉川明洋 Akihiro Tamagawa
| Additional credits
Pikachu's Rescue Adventure (Japanese: ピカチュウたんけんたい The Pikachu Expedition) is a short film that was aired with the feature film The Power of One. In it, Pikachu and friends must rescue lost Togepi.
It starts off with Ash and his friends resting in a camping site. All of their Pokémon are sleeping. A group of Ledyba flew by, waking Togepi. Togepi jumps up and watches them. Then Togepi yawns and falls back down a hill, waking Pikachu and the rest of the group’s Pokémon. They, then go after Togepi and while exploring, find themselves lost. Togepi continues to roll down, hitting a lost Meowth on the way. They both fall down a tree stump. The group’s Pokémon are calling for Togepi, but don’t get a response. Psyduck then comes running down the hill and knocks Pikachu and the others down the tree stump. The tree stump leads off a mountain. Some Ledyba catch them just before they hit the ground. The Ledyba drop them off in some leaves. They then come face to face with an Elekid. It and Pikachu start to fight and Meowth is seen stuck on a tree branch. He screams for help, waking a Gyarados, who attacks, though Meowth escapes.
Back with the group, Pikachu and the rest follow Elekid to a tree, where Togepi can be seen with some Exeggcute. Pikachu runs up the tree, but the Exeggcute stop him. Bulbasaur then uses his vines to grab Togepi, but one of the Exeggcute bites his vine. Squirtle then notices that one egg is missing. It seems that they want Togepi to fill the spot. The group searches for the lost Exeggcute.
Bellossom make an appearance, putting on a show the group. When finished, the group meets some Clefairy, who use Metronome, which turns into Explosion. This blows a hole in the cave, throwing the gang in the air. Pikachu and Elekid both collide with Meowth. They fall onto a Snorlax, bouncing off it, and into Gyarados's waterfall. The trio have a fight over who gets to ride Gyarados. Pikachu uses Thunderbolt, causing Meowth to blast off. Pikachu and Elekid meet up with the rest of the group again. A storm begins to stir, almost forcing the Exeggcute out of the tree. The group, as well as many forest Pokémon, try to help the Exeggcute. Thunder brews, and a strike of lightning hits the tree, causing a fire. Squirtle and Marill put the fire out by using their Water Guns. The nest with Togepi in it then blows away. Bulbasaur uses his vines to catch the nest. Now, Bulbasaur start to blow away, so all the Pokémon create a chain to save him. Finally, the sun then comes out, and Dragonair flies across the rainbow, Pikachu grabs Togepi in happiness. The Exeggcute are still missing one of their eggs. A Chansey then returns the last egg that she'd been looking after. The Exeggcute jump around a Leaf Stone in joy, and while doing so they evolve into Exeggutor. The group says their farewells and return to their Trainers.
- Ash (face is never shown)
- Misty (face is never shown)
- Tracey (face is never shown)
Pokémon who helped save Exeggcute
Other wild Pokémon
Pokémon seen during the Japanese credits
- The "welcome song" that the Tree residents sing to Pikachu and his group when they arrive also played in the background of the main menu for the DVD of Pokémon the Movie 2000.
- Although Exeggutor is usually described as having three heads, this is the first time an Exeggutor in the anime is confirmed to have only three heads, as all Exeggutor seen previously have had at least four to six heads.
- In the episode Misty Meets Her Match, Tracey shows Professor Oak a sketch of a mystery Pokémon that was an Elekid. It may have been the same one that appears in this short.
- The Butterfree seen are of the normal variation, rather than the Orange Islands variation.
- This was adapted into a full color manga in All That Pikachu!.
- The Icelandic sub of this short translated some of the Pokémon's names.
- Numerous Poliwhirl say "Poliwrath", and a Poliwag says "Poliwhirl."
- While the various Pokémon are dancing for Pikachu and friends, Elekid is seen with holes in its horns. However, upon turning its head, the holes are missing from the other side.
- While protecting the eggs, a Pidgey uses the sound clip of a Fearow.
- While Exeggcute is evolving, the Pidgey's belly is brown instead of the normal yellow.
- In the original, the narrator described the events of the short. The narration is removed in the dub.
In other languages