From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection (Japanese: ニンテンドーＷｉ－Ｆｉコネクション Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection), also known as Nintendo WFC for short, is a service run by Nintendo that allows free online play all over the world. It is used by Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS, and Wii games.
- Main article: Friend Code
Every game that utilizes the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection requires players to use a unique 12-digit code known as a Friend Code. It is generated when the player logs onto it for the first time, and it is used to identify other players on online play.
The Wii allows players to buy WiiWare and Virtual Console games from the Wii Shop Channel. Players must use Nintendo Points, which are bought with real money.
The Nintendo DSi, on the other hand, allows players to buy DSiWare games on the DSi Shop for Nintendo Points as well.
The Nintendo 3DS also allows the eshop, and "ambassadors" can get 20 games and a certificate for free.
In the games
The first Pokémon games to utilize the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection were Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, with Platinum following soon after.
Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection allows players to connect with the games of other players all over the world.
- The Global Terminal brings the most features to the main series, with the Global Trade Station and the ability to upload, view and download several types of data including full videos of battles. In Diamond and Pearl Versions, this facility is limited to the GTS.
- The Wi-Fi Club, for private online activity with friends registered in the player's Pal Pad. In Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver, players can partake in Battle Frontier challenges, games from the Wi-Fi Plaza, and spin trades, among other activities.
- The Wi-Fi Plaza allows groups of up to 20 players to play three different games together online.
- Special key items, such as the Secret Key and Member Card can be downloaded to obtain additional Pokémon, items, features or areas. The exact dates in which these items are or were distributed may vary by region.
- Special Pokémon can be downloaded to trigger additional events and unlock certain Pokémon, items, features, areas, or aspects of the game's storyline. The exact dates in which these Pokémon are or were distributed may vary by region.
Features in the Pokémon Ranger series
Features in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series
- In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, Darkness and Sky, players can send and receive requests for rescuing each other.
- Users can purchase and download additional software to their Nintendo DSi, Nintendo 3DS or Wii.
- One application that can be downloaded allows users to browse the Internet on their DSi, 3DS or TV.
- On these systems, it is also possible to download an update to the console's operating system to be able to use additional features, such as upload pictures taken on the Nintendo DSi Camera to Facebook.
- On the Wii, users can send messages to each other.
Games compatible with Wi-Fi
The following Pokémon games are compatible with the Wi-Fi Connection service.