|Spoiler warning: this article may contain major plot or ending details.|
| Natural Harmonia Gropius|
ナチュラル・ハルモニア・グロピウス Natural Harmonia Gropius
Art from Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
|Eye color||Gray, Blue|
|Hair color||Tea green|
|Relatives|| Ghetsis (foster father)|
Anthea and Concordia (foster sisters)
|Trainer class|| Pokémon Trainer,|
|Games|| Black and White|
Black 2 and White 2
|Member of||Team Plasma|
|Game animation debut||Pokémon Black Version 2 and Pokémon White Version 2 Animated Trailer|
|English voice actor||Tom Wayland|
|Japanese voice actor||Hiroshi Kamiya|
|Counterpart debut||New Places... Familiar Faces!|
N (Japanese: Ｎ （エヌ） N) is a character in Black, White, Black 2, and White 2. He was the puppet leader of Team Plasma in Pokémon Black and White and aspired to create separate worlds for humans and Pokémon. His full name is Natural Harmonia Gropius (Japanese: ナチュラル・ハルモニア・グロピウス Natural Harmonia Gropius).
- 1 In the games
- 1.1 Pokémon
- 1.1.1 Pokémon Black and White
- 1.1.2 Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
- 1.1 Pokémon
- 2 Quotes
- 2.1 Pokémon Black and White
- 2.2 Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
- 3 Artwork
- 4 In the anime
- 5 In the manga
- 6 In the TCG
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Names
- 9 References
In the games
N was raised by Ghetsis, the internal leader of the Seven Sages. As he grew up, he was appointed as the king and leader of Team Plasma. He is an anti-villain, being the secondary antagonist, yet a good natured person who sees Pokémon as his friends and is generally rather amicable toward the player as well. According to Concordia, "N's heart is pure and innocent." At several points during the game he appears before the player to battle.
As a child, he was raised together with Pokémon and was isolated from humans. Ghetsis would only let N see Pokémon that had been hurt by humans. Based on the contents of his room in N's Castle, as a child he appeared to be interested in skateboarding, transportation (such as planes and trains), basketball, and darts. He also had many brand new toys. Pokémon have played with his toys, as his skateboard is covered in claw marks and scratches. It is revealed by Anthea and Concordia in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 that N was an orphan raised by Pokémon in a forest until he was taken in by Ghetsis. The Seven Sages educated him in many subjects.
In Black and White, N is first seen in the game's prologue movie, in which N, clothed in special garb, is crowned by Ghetsis in the throne room of a castle. During the ceremony, as the other sages watch, N remembers his childhood spent with his Pokémon friends.
The player first meets N in Accumula Town after Team Plasma's public rally and Ghetsis's speech, where he challenges the player to a Pokémon battle. He again appears outside of the Nacrene Gym, for another battle, and later at Nimbasa City, where he asks the player to talk to him while riding the Rondez-View Ferris Wheel. During this excursion, N reveals that he is the leader of Team Plasma; Ghetsis had asked him to assist him in Team Plasma's liberation of Pokémon. It is confirmed after the ride, when a group of Plasma Grunts address him as their leader, and he battles the player to allow them time to get away. He is again encountered at the Chargestone Cave, where he battles the player, and lastly, in Dragonspiral Tower, where he found ZekromB/ReshiramW for his plans.
When the player challenges the Pokémon League, after beating the Elite Four, the player finds N with Alder, the Champion, arguing over the use of Pokémon as tools. When the player arrives, N summons his Castle from the earth, which attaches itself to the Pokémon League, and as he enters the Castle, he challenges the player to face him. Cheren arrives, and he and Alder ask the player to stop him.
Within the castle's throne room, N tells the player that his goal is to create separate worlds for both humans and Pokémon, saying that he is willing to battle even if his Pokémon are hurt. To combat the player, he summons ZekromB/ReshiramW. As N's dragon appears, the player's LightB/DarkW Stone is revived into the opposing dragon, and N encourages the player to battle it.
Once the dragon is caught, N will challenge the player. After N is defeated, Ghetsis appears and reveals he revived ZekromB/ReshiramW for N to use, calling him a disappointment. Team Plasma's motive for stealing Pokémon—separate worlds—is shown to be a lie. Ghetsis manipulated N and Team Plasma to ensure that he was the only person in Unova with Pokémon so that he could dominate the region. Alder and Cheren both hear this. Ghetsis battles the player in a rage, despite N's protest. After the battle, Alder and Cheren arrest Ghetsis and take him away.
After the battle, N apologizes, walks to a hole to outside on edge of the throne room, lets out his legendary Pokémon, and bids a final farewell to the player. Then, after the credit-roll, an epilogue movie plays in which ZekromB/ReshiramW, with N on top, hovers above the clouds and, activating its tail's engine, accelerates away.
In Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, N returns to save Kyurem from Ghetsis riding ZekromB2/ReshiramW2. When his legendary dragon is absorbed by Kyurem to transform to Black KyuremB2/White KyuremW2, he pleads the player to stop Ghetsis and get it back.
After the player has entered the Hall of Fame, N will appear in Nimbasa City at the Rondez-View Ferris Wheel on Fridays, and N's Zoroark will appear on Victory Road, leading the player to the ruins of N's Castle, which N and the player walk around. In the throne room, N asks the player to battle him and his ZekromB2/ReshiramW2. When the player defeats him, N reverts his dragon to its dormant state—the Dark StoneB2/Light StoneW2—and gives it to the player to summon it at Dragonspiral Tower to catch.
After catching or knocking out ZekromB2/ReshiramW2, N arrives to congratulate the player and informs that Kyurem has returned to the Giant Chasm. After Kyurem has been caught or knocked out by the player, N returns to the ruins of his castle, which now form part of Victory Road, for a rematch with different Pokémon depending on the season.
- Before battle
- "Your Pokémon... Just now, it was saying..."
- "Yes, they're talking. Oh. Then, you two can't hear it, either... How sad. My name is N."
- "The Pokédex, eh? So... You're going to confine many, many Pokémon in Poké Balls for that, then. I'm a Trainer, too, but I can't help wondering... Are Pokémon really happy that way?"
- "Well, <player>, is it? Let me hear your Pokémon's voice again!"
- After taking a hit
- "More! Let me hear the voice of your Pokémon!"
- After being defeated
- "I never expected to hear Pokémon say such things..."
- After the battle
- "As long as Pokémon are confined in Poké Balls... Pokémon will never become perfect beings. I have to change the world for Pokémon, because they're my friends."
- "I... want to see things no one can see. The truths of Pokémon inside Poké Balls. The ideals of how Trainers should be. And a future where Pokémon have become perfect... Do you feel the same?"
- Yes: "That so? I think my friends and I should test you to see if you can see this future, too."
- No: "Huh. I expected more from you. Now pay attention. My friends and I will test you to see if you can see this future, too."
- After being defeated
- "I cannot see the future yet... The world is still to be determined..."
- After battle
- "Right now, my friends aren't strong enough to save all Pokémon. Maybe I can't solve the equation that will change the world. So, I need power... Power enough to make anyone agree with me."
- "Now I know what power I need. ZekromB/ReshiramW! The legendary Pokémon that, along with the hero, created the Unova region. It's my turn to become that hero--and you and I will be friends!"
- "You're looking for Team Plasma, right? They ran into the amusement park. Come with me."
- "They're not here. Let's ride the Ferris wheel and see if we can spot them. I love Ferris wheels. The circular motion… The mechanics… They're like collections of elegant formulas."
- "First, I must tell you... I am the king of Team Plasma. Ghetsis asked me to work with him to save Pokémon. I wonder how many Pokémon exist in this world..."
- "There's no problem. You're part of the people we brought in to help us save the Pokémon. So, you're under my protection, as well. Go, quickly, and let my battle cover your retreat. ...Now then, <player>, do you follow my logic?"
- Yes: "If true, your words please me. Ah. Then... The future I envision... Perhaps I can't beat you here and now, but I'll battle you to buy time for these members of Team Plasma to get away!"
- No: "So that's how it is... That's unfortunate. Ah. Then... The future I envision... Perhaps I can't beat you here and now, but I'll battle you anyway to buy time for these members of Team Plasma to flee."
- After the first move
- "Your Pokémon look happy."
- After sending out last Pokémon
- "Even if I lose, is it different from the future I saw?"
- Upon defeat
- "The result was the same... But you... Who are you?"
- After battle
- "You're quite strong. But I have a future that I must change. And, for that future... I'll defeat the Champion and become unbeatable, unlike any other! I'll make all Trainers free their Pokémon! Just try and stop me! If you want to be together with Pokémon, your only hope is to collect the Badges from each area and head for the Pokémon League! Try and stop me there, if you dare! If your conviction is not strong enough, you will never be able to defeat me."
- "Ah, yes. That was the Shadow Triad, just now. Ghetsis enlisted them in Team Plasma. Apparently, they were the ones who prepared the Galvantula nest at the cave entrance."
- "Chargestone Cave... I like this place. Formulas express electricity and its connection to Pokémon... If people did not exist, this would be an ideal place. You have been chosen, you know. Does it surprise you I said that?"
- Yes: "Of course. Such news should be a surprise."
- No: "Hmph. If you don't understand what that means, it's not likely to surprise you."
- "I told Ghetsis about you and your friends. After I did, he apparently used the Shadow Triad to find out about you. Cheren is pursuing the ideal of strength. Poor Bianca has faced the sad truth that not everyone can become stronger. And you are not swayed either way--more of a neutral presence. Which is apparently a good thing. Team Plasma will be waiting for you ahead. Ghetsis wants to see what kind of Pokémon Trainer you really are."
- Before battle
- "Many different values mix together, and the world becomes gray... That is unforgivable! I will separate Pokémon and people, and black and white will be clearly distinct! Only then will Pokémon become perfect beings! Yes, that is my dream! That is the dream I must fulfill! <player>, do you have a dream of your own?"
- Yes: "You have a dream... That's wonderful. I'll learn just what kind of dream you have--in battle!"
- No: "As if a person without a dream could ever understand me! Eh... I guess... I have to crush your will here!"
- After takes a hit
- "Do you believe that Pokémon battles help us understand one another?"
- After sending out last Pokémon
- "I will show you that my love for my friends permeates every cell of my body. Behold!"
- Upon defeat
- "My friends getting hurt... That's what a Pokémon battle is."
- After battle
- "Tsk! Why? Is it impossible for me to win while feeling bad about being a Trainer? As if I could pursue my idealsB/the truthW with something as meaningless as a battle! As if that could make me worthy to become friends with the legendary Pokémon!"
- "Professor Juniper, what are you thinking? You appear to have no qualms about the relationship between Pokémon and people. You put Pokémon into categories using arbitrary rules and think you can understand them like that... The very idea of a Pokédex revolts me. What do you have to say for yourself?"
- "You're saying I should just allow people to think whatever they want and treat Pokémon however they want, no matter whether the Pokémon suffer? I refuse to tolerate the existence of a world like that!"
- "They may say it is for understanding one another better, but what Trainers really use battles for is to compete... And they hurt each others' Pokémon! Am I the only one who finds this terribly painful? Whatever... I'm going to talk to your Pokémon. I've been living with Pokémon since I was born, so it's easier for me to talk with them than with people. ...Because Pokémon never tell lies."
- "Hey, <lead Pokémon>. Would you tell me what kind of Trainer <player> is?"
- "OK, OK, got it. So <player> was born in Nuvema Town, lives with Mom, and was given the Pokédex to start off a journey to see the world. Still, this <lead Pokémon> trusts you for some reason. That's good! If every person and Pokémon cared about one another like you two do, I could watch over the future of people and Pokémon without having to liberate Pokémon from people who just use them."
- "Ghetsis is using Team Plasma to search for some special stones--the Light Stone and the Dark Stone... These stones hold the essence of two legendary Pokémon. It is said that when they lost their physical form, they fell into a slumber and were transformed. Now, they wait for the hero's arrival... I shall resurrect a legendary Dragon-type Pokémon from one of these stones, and become its friend. That will show the world that I am the new hero. Everyone will follow what I say!"
- "My vision is to change the world without using force. Trying to change the world by force will just make others resist. If people resist, the ones that will be hurt are the innocent Pokémon used by foolish Trainers. You understand. Pokémon are not just tools for people to use!"
- "As a result... Pokémon and Trainers who care about one another, like you and your Pokémon, will be separated. And that does break my heart a little."
- "What do you think, <player>? How do you like the powerfulB/beautifulW form of the Pokémon who appears before and fights beside the hero that will lead the way to a new world?"
- "Now, ZekromB/ReshiramW and I will head to the Pokémon League and defeat the Champion! This will be the last of the Pokémon battles that hurt Pokémon so. A world for Pokémon alone... It's finally going to be a reality."
- "If you want to stop me, you must become a hero as well! That's right! When ZekromB/ReshiramW's counterpart, ReshiramB/ZekromW, recognizes you, we will finally be even, and then you can try to stop us!"
- "Well, what will you do? My prediction... If the future that I see is true, you will meet ReshiramB/ZekromW. The Pokémon with you believe in you so strongly... Will you be the one who interferes with my formula for changing the world? If you want to protect the bonds between Pokémon and people, you must search for ReshiramB/ZekromW! I'm sure it is waiting for you in the form of the Light StoneB/Dark StoneW."
- "It's over! Never again will Pokémon be made to suffer or be held captive by humans. It's all thanks to my friend, ZekromB/ReshiramW! You may have the title of Champion… But you can't stop me with just a title. Your soft heart has left you weak. Years ago, you lost your Pokémon, your partner, to sickness. In order to forget the pain in your heart, you wandered Unova… Who knows how long it's been since you've had to fight with your full strength? I actually kind of like that about you, though. As a Trainer who far outmatches the Champion, I shall issue an order across Unova: Trainers of the world, free your Pokémon!"
- "You and I both put our beliefs on the line and fought with all our strength. And I won. Do not say another word."
- "...I've been waiting. In the future I envisioned, you obtained a stone. And, indeed, you have. That Light StoneB/Dark StoneW... ZekromB/ReshiramW is responding to it. Stop. This is not a suitable for the legendary dragons! From the ground, rise up! The castle of Team Plasma! Surround the Pokémon League!"
- "What has just appeared is Team Plasma's castle. The king's words will resound from the heights to all below. You must come to the castle, as well. Everything will be decided there. Whether Pokémon will be liberated from people, or whether Pokémon and people will live together… We will see whose belief is stronger... And our result will change the world."
- "What I desire is a world for Pokémon, and Pokémon alone. I will separate Pokémon from people, so Pokémon can regain their original power."
- "It's time to settle this once and for all! My determination is absolute! I will prove the value of my beliefs even if it means my Pokémon friends get hurt! Since you've come this far, I believe you are equally determined. If that's so, prove it to me! Show me the depth of your determination!"
- "You came all this way to battle me… But ReshiramB/ZekromW is not responding. You haven't yet been recognized as the hero, have you? How disappointing. I actually kind of liked you a little. Through our many battles, I got the feeling that you might be a Trainer who truly cares for Pokémon!"
- "But I was kidding myself. The idea of Trainers getting to know each other through battles is ridculous! You have two options. Challenge me to a fight you can't win, or leave this place and watch the birth of a new world where Pokémon are free of people! ZekromB/ReshiramW! Come to me!"
- "Your Light StoneB/Dark StoneW is… I mean, ReshiramB/ZekromW is…"
- "Zekrom and Reshiram… They were once one life. One Pokémon. Complete opposites, yet the same. Zekrom and Reshiram are Pokémon that appear before the hero they recognize. Ah… I see. You really are a hero, too. I'll tell you what that Pokémon is saying to you. "I want to battle with you. Try to make me your friend and ally." It plans to test you to see if you are really pursuing truthB/idealsW. I, also, am curious to see how powerful you are. Now, catch ReshiramB/ZekromW and make it your ally!"
- "Get ready! Go after it! Reshiram will incinerate people who fail to keep truth in their heart."B
- "Get ready! Go for it! Zekrom will bare its fangs at people who fail to follow their ideals."W
- "Ah… I see. ReshiramB/ZekromW, who is said to lend its power to the hero who searches for truthB/idealsW, has recognized your power and now agrees to stand by your side…"
- "Hold on. Your Pokémon are hurt. There is no triumph to be gained in battling a weakened opponent."
- "Now, I will create the future I desire! I shall sweep you before me!"*
- First hit
- "Do you really think you can stop us with that?"
- After sending out last Pokémon
- "My last friend... Please share your courage with me!"
- Last Pokémon at low health
- "Is the world going to choose you, and not me?!"B
- "Is the world going to choose you-- and not me?!"W
- Upon defeat
- After battle
- "… … ZekromB/ReshiramW and I were beaten. Your truthB/idealsW… Your feelings… They were stronger than mine, it seems… ReshiramB/ZekromW and ZekromB/ReshiramW… Each of them choosing a different hero… Is that even possible? Two heroes living at the same time— one that pursues truthB/idealsW and one that pursues idealsB/truthW. Could…could they both be right? I don't know. It's not by rejecting different ideas, but by accepting different ideas that the world creates a chemical reaction. This is truly the formula for changing the world."
- "But…I have no right to be the hero!"
- "Acting like you understand… Up till now, we've been fighting each other over our beliefs! Yet, despite that… Why?!"
- "I want to talk to you about something."
- "It's about when I first met you in Accumula Town. I was shocked when I heard what your Pokémon was saying. I was shocked because that Pokémon said it liked you. It said it wanted to be with you."
- "I couldn't understand it. I couldn't believe there were Pokémon that liked people. Because, up until that moment, I'd never known a Pokémon like that. The longer my journey continued, the more unsure I became. All I kept meeting were Pokémon and people who communicated with one another and helped one another. That was why I needed to confirm my beliefs by battling with you. I wanted to confront you hero-to-hero. I needed that more than anything."
- "There's no way a person like me, someone who understands only Pokémon— No, actually… I didn't understand them, either. No way could I measure up to you, when you had met so many Pokémon and were surrounded by friends…"
- "The Champion has forgiven me, and… What I should do now is something I'll have to decide for myself."
- In Black:
- Replied yes at Chargestone Cave: "<Player>! You said you have a dream… That dream… Make it come true! Make your wonderful dream a reality, and it will become your truth! <Player>! If anyone can, it's you! Well, then… Farewell!"
- Replied no at Chargestone Cave: "Dream your dream! Follow the path of truth to make that dream a reality, and someday you will achieve all that you dreamed of! Well, then... Farewell!"
- In White:
- Replied yes at Chargestone Cave: "<Player>! You said you have a dream… That dream… Make it come true! Wonderful dreams and ideals give you the power to change the world! If anyone can, it's you! <Player>! Well, then… Farewell!"
- Replied no at Chargestone Cave: "Dream your dream! Then, pursue the ideals to make that dream a reality, and someday you will achieve all that you dreamed of! Well then… Farewell!"
Meeting Friends, Saying Good-Bye
- "Thank you, my friend. Return to the peaceful life you lived before."
- "I can't... I just can't keep Pokémon confined in Poké Balls! Also, if they stay with their Trainers, Pokémon will battle, and they will be hurt... Even if it is for changing the world to protect Pokémon... It's too hard for me to put them through so much pain..."
- "Who decided that catching Pokémon and making them battle each other is how the world works? That wasn't how things were before Poké Balls were invented... The rules that govern this world are wrong!"
- (To grunt) "Not yet! The world hasn't changed yet! The time to free your Pokémon will be when I befriend the Unova region's legendary Dragon-type Pokémon, surpass the Champion, and become the hero!"
- "I will separate Pokémon and people, and black and white will be clearly distinct! Only then will Pokémon become perfect beings! But then why... Why did those Pokémon seem so sad to leave me?"
- "<linked player>! Is it because of that Trainer that my heart wavers now? Were the words of the Pokémon in Accumula Town really true? Does that mean <linked player> is an ideal Trainer?"'
- "The cries of the suffering Pokémon filling that room... The borderline between Pokémon and humans... I exist on that line. I live in the margins between everyone, so I will save them! I will change the world! And to that end, I must fight to the finish with <linked player>"'
White and Black
- "I'm here though..."'
- "I've been worried about the people who believed in me... But it seems they know what they can do for Pokémon in their own ways."'
- "Compared to them... What was I doing? What I really should have done was tell people how Pokémon feel...! The legendary Dragon-type Pokémon knew that. It has lived long and known many people. It knew humans and Pokémon have lived and will live together. It knew that in this relationship, humans' actions have an enormous impact on Pokémon. That's why it helps the one who searches for the idealB/truthW... the one who opens the way to the future."'
- "It's not necessary... Separating the black from white and humans from Pokémon! If you think in terms of each individual life, this world was in a state that couldn't be divided any further. Possibilities are born out of combining and fusing these different lives! There are some things we can understand only by doing this. It will give form to unseen things. These formulas will restructure the world and make it richer!"'
- "From their Poké Balls, I can hear the many different feelings Pokémon have about their Trainers! More than anything, I can hear their joy that they met people who need them!"'
- "I'll go... For Pokémon, for Trainers, and for all lives... And for my friends who saved me!"'
(just the voice)
- "Chargestone Cave -- I really like it here."
- "Formulas express the forces behind electricity, its connection to Pokémon, and humans and Pokémon themselves."
- "This -- this is my ideal place."
- "I have to go..."
- "I have to go in order to save Pokémon and protect the very friend that I have to stop!"
- "Zekrom! Fusion Bolt!!B2/Reshiram! Fusion Flare!!W2
- "ZekromB2/ReshiramW2 told me Kyurem is suffering! I can't allow selfish humans to make Pokémon suffer! And I like Unova. It's the place that taught me how to live as a human... It's the place that made me notice the harmony between Pokémon and humans living together... I will protect the Pokémon and humans who live here!"
- "That's an ugly formula! It won't work!"
- "...! I never would have believed that Pokémon can fuse together... That there was a formula like this..."
- Before challenging Kyurem
- "It's faint, but I can hear my friend. I can hear Zekrom'sB2/Reshiram'sW2 voice. It says they can be separated again! I beg you! Please save my friend! And all of Unova's Pokémon and humans..."
- After defeating Ghetsis
- "It's hard to call you this, but... Father! Please understand. Pokémon are not tools. Pokémon and humans take each other to greater heights. They are our wonderful partners. Some humans understand this. Why can't you?"
- (to the Shadow Triad member) "OK... Without Father, Team Plasma is..."
- (to the player) "On behalf of everyone... Thank you. Kyurem is fine. Now, it has lost its power, but it will come here again."
- "ZekromB2/ReshiramW2 says thank you as well! That's right... I can talk with Pokémon."
- "On that day two years ago, a certain Trainer and Alder taught me something... By accepting different ideas, this world creates a different chemical reaction... So I met many different Pokémon and people and heard so much... And that's how my world quietly grew bigger... By being with Pokémon, humans can continue toward new horizons. By being with humans, Pokémon can exhibit their true power. That's what ZekromB2/ReshiramW2 taught me: the truth for Pokémon and me. And someday both truth and ideals will come together... Then Pokémon and humans will be freed from the oppression of Poké Balls."
- "You! What are you and your Pokémon striving for? You should head to the Pokémon League and put your truths to the test!"
- "You came..."
- "The Pokémon League is just past Victory Road."
- "Pokémon battles do nothing more than hurt Pokémon... That's how I understood it, and that's why I hated battles. But it's not that simple."
- "Pokémon battles decide winners and losers, it's true. Yet they do so much more. Your Pokémon! You! Your opponents! And their Pokémon! Everyone can see what wonderful things the others have to contribute! That's right! Accepting different ideas--different beings--changes the world like a chemical reaction! Pokémon battles are like a catalyst: a small component that leads to big changes! My friend ZekromB2/ReshiramW2 taught me that... And it's the formula I've derived from traveling the world. I want you to think for yourself what it means."
- "What's this? Why, you're the... You're the [Pokémon species] that helped me that time, aren't you? Hey, thanks!"
- "Here! Take this with you! The new Victory Road has areas that are only accessible with Waterfall."
- "Yes! If it's your Pokémon and you... You will get past the Pokémon League and recognize your own idealB2/truthW2! That's what I see in store for you!
- "You lead... I'll follow."
- "This place... was my world."
- "When I was little, I was abandoned deep in the woods."
- "The ones who took me in and raised me were the Pokémon who lived there."
- "Then, one day, a man appeared, claiming to be my father. That was...Ghetsis."
- "The things he gave me were...the name "Harmonia"...the knowledge a king would need...Pokémon with their hearts shut so very tightly I couldn't even talk to them...and this room... I'll be outside..."
- While walking
- "I remember...This is the place where Anthea and Concordia took care of me as a child. The Seven Sages all taught me different things..."
- "That's the place!"
- "It was two years ago. For the sake of Pokémon... For my ideal world... I put my beliefs on the line and battle a certain Trainer! And I lost... But at the same time, I learned something important. To make a the world better,you must accept different ideas."'
- "I learned that this is the formula for changing the world. Accepting different ideas... I want to see if you a trainer whose heart is strong enough to do that."
- "ZekromB2/ReshiramW2, come!"
- "ZekromB2/ReshiramW2 always want to know what idealsB2/truthsW2 you seek and how good of a trainer you are."
- Before battle
- "Battle with me. Are you prepared?"
- No: "I'm ready whenever you are! I'll wait as long as it takes!"
- Yes: "Show me the depth of your determination!"
- "ZekromB2/ReshiramW2 and I were defeated. You feelings, your desire to know the truth— that's what surpassed us. Battling with you reminded me of two years ago..."
- "It may just be a little, but I know you better... That's how I feel.
- "And ZekromB2/ReshiramW2...thanks for everything. My journey with you has been truly wonderful! From now on, I want you to use your power to help this Trainer realize his/her dreams."
- "I know. I'll miss you, too... But your task is to help humans who seek idealsB2/truthW2. I learned so much from you. I'll do my best to tell everyone else what I learned on my own."
- "'I'll be OK! I can talk to Pokémon!"
- "I'll become the bridge between Pokémon and Humans! That's my idealB2/truthW2!"
- "So...Rest well..
- "<Player>, I'll entrust you with this Dark StoneB2/Light StoneW2!"
- "Take the Dark StoneB2/Light StoneW2 to Dragonspiral Tower!"
If talked to again
- "Go to Dragonspiral Tower. I will... I'll search for that Trainer I battled two years ago. And... I plan to say thank you.
- "How surprising... I didn't expect you'd come here."
- "Well, that is the formula for understanding other Trainers, after all... You're OK with a Pokémon battle, right?"
Second time onwards
- "Your Pokémon are saying they want to battle with my friend..."
- "What would you like to do? Will you have a Pokémon battle with me?"
- "Very well... You're free to choose that, too."
- After damaging his Pokémon
- "More! Let me hear the voice of your Pokémon!"
- Last Pokémon
- "For the sake of my friend who saved me, I will never give up!"
- "Your Pokémon are happy... They are happy to be with you."
- "I remember something ZekromB2/ReshiramW2 told me once..."
- "Zekrom and Reshiram are searching for new possibilities by walking alongside humans..."
- "Meanwhile, those that live in the wild try to better themselves without relying on anyone else."
- "There are many different Pokémon..."
- "And their different ways of living... That is the true freedom of Pokémon. That is what connects Pokémon to us."
- "I will set off on another journey."
- "There are still many Pokémon in the world I should talk to."
- "And there is also a Trainer I want to tell how I feel..."
At Dragonspiral Tower
- "ZekromB2/ReshiramW2 has recognized you as the new hero. That right! As a Trainer with the will strong enough to change to world! I have something to tell you. Go to Giant Chasm! Kyurem has returned. That's what my friend had told me."
- "<Player>! The world that you desire for Pokémon and humans... I look forward to seeing how full of love that world is."
- "Someday... Pokémon and humans will be bound together without Poké Balls. They will simply trust and help one another. Make that kind of world."
Ferris Wheel - Friday
- "This sure takes me back..."
- "You! Ride this Ferris wheel with me!"
- "I love Ferris wheels."
- "So, you there! Come with me!"
- (N and player enter Ferris wheel)
- "You... remind me of that Trainer."
- "Now that I think about it, we both rode this Ferris wheel, too."
- "Making dreams come true is hard... I wonder if we will meet again..."
- (N and player exit Ferris wheel)
- "...That made me remember that day. ...Sorry. I'll be going."
- "Ferris wheels sure are great."
- "But that can't be proved with numbers. It's the incompleteness theorem..."
|Conceptual artwork||"The Puzzle that N Carries"|
|Black and White artwork||Artwork with Zekrom||Artwork with Reshiram|
| N's sprite from
Black and White
| N's sprite from
Black 2 and White 2
| N's overworld sprite from
| N's VS sprite from|
In the anime
- Main article: N (anime)
N appears as a recurring character in the Pokémon anime. He is a mysterious young man with the ability to understand what Pokémon are saying. After encountering Ash and his friends, N joins them on their search for the White Ruins and their battle against Team Plasma.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
N first appears in VS Cottonee, where he watches Black set off to battle his first Gym. After Black manages to save an Xtransceiver commercial shooting from a wild Galvantula attack, N sheds tears from seeing Pokémon being used by humans.
In Accumula Town, N appears to confront and battle Black. He expresses his disgust at the Pokédex by claiming that Trainers lock up his "friends" in Poké Balls to fill the Pokédex with information, thus making them nothing more than a source for said information. Eventually, Black's Tep manages to defeat his Tympole, so N decides to take his leave after learning that there are Pokémon that enjoy the company of Trainers. After leaving, Black reveals that N isn't really a bad person after his Musha used his ability to eat dreams and show the contents of them to others.
At Nimbasa City, N knocks White into one of the Ferris wheel cars and climbs into it. After a brief talk, N forces White's Gigi to fight his Servine. After Gigi wins, N concludes that White had been neglecting Gigi's battle skills. When White tries to escape, she is shocked to see Gigi side with N instead of her and falls hard to ground below. As the two watch from the Rondez-View Ferris wheel, N sends his Servine to White's aid.
Later, N and Gigi arrive at the Dragonspiral Tower. As he stares at the building, N muses over the location where Truth and Ideals meet while Gigi watches him. Later, he successfully awakens Zekrom, but initially has trouble connecting with it and convincing it to join his side. After recruiting Zekrom, he is challenged to a battle by Alder to a two-on-two battle. Soon after, Black, White, and Iris come to scene after hearing the commotion, where they witness N defeating Alder with Gigi and Zorua. Reacting to N's Zekrom, the Light Stone in Black's possession turns into Reshiram, but quickly reverts, signifying that Black doesn't have full control over it. Having defeated the Pokémon League Champion, N believes that more people will listen Team Plasma's ideal. Before he can leave, N is attacked by a Samurott owned by Cedric Juniper who demands to know where the captured Gym Leaders are.
Together, Black, White, and Cedric defeat Gigi and Zorua. There, it is revealed that N had liberated the set of starter Pokémon that Cedric was going to give to new Trainers a year before, leaving Snivy with N, Tepig in an unknown location, and Oshawott to stay with Cedric. N accuses Professor Juniper as the cause of the suffering of Pokémon with her distributing of starters, but is stopped by Black's Pokémon. Before they can do anything, N manages to use his abilities to get them to back off, confusing Black into needing Musha to clear his head so that he can figure out a plan.
Unfortunately, N reveals that Musha doesn't like the taste of Black's dreams anymore, so he leaves Black, causing him to faint from the shock of losing his partner. N leaves on Zekrom, where he reveals that Zekrom wants to battle Black again, this time with Reshiram fully awakened.
|Purrloin is the first Pokémon seen in N's possession. It was used to battle Black in Accumula Town.|
| Gurdurr is N's second known Pokémon. It was used to battle Black in Accumula Town. Later, it was seen helping N befriend Zekrom.
None of Gurdurr's moves are known.
| Tympole is N's third known Pokémon. It was used to battle Black in Accumula Town. Later, it was seen helping N befriend Zekrom.
Tympole's only known move is Echoed Voice.
| Pidove is N's fourth known Pokémon. It was used to battle Black in Accumula Town.
None of Pidove's moves are known.
| Two Woobat were seen in a flashback of N's childhood. It is unknown if he is still in contact with them.
None of their moves are known.
|Debut||Listening to Pokémon|
| Zorua was first seen in a flashback of N's childhood. It was first seen in person at Castelia City, where it harassed Black's Tep and spied on Black under N's instructions. At the Driftveil Drawbridge, it caused havoc by preventing the bridge from lowering, but was defeated by Black. It was seen with N at Dragonspiral Tower, when he was awakening Zekrom. Later, it faced Alder's Accelgor with Gigi and distracted Accelgor long enough for Gigi to defeat it. It fought Buoh, Amanda, and Cedric's Samurott, but was defeated.
None of Zorua's moves are known and its Ability is Illusion.
|Debut||Listening to Pokémon|
|Darmanitan was first seen in a flashback of N's childhood. It was later seen with N at Dragonspiral Tower, when he was awakening Zekrom. Later, it was used to battle Alder's Bouffalant and Escavalier and lost.|
|Debut||Listening to Pokémon|
Gigi (Japanese: ぶぶちゃん Bubu-chan) was one of the Pokémon actresses seen in White's BW Agency. After discovering her true battle potential, Gigi decides to side with N and leaves White to join him.
|Debut||Lights, Camera, Action|
| Archeops was seen with N at Dragonspiral Tower as an Archen, when he was awakening Zekrom. Later, it was used to battle Alder's Bouffalant and Escavalier but was eventually defeated by his Accelgor.
None of Archeops's moves are known.
|Debut||Black & White chapter|
| Zekrom was seen with initially the Dark Stone, which was held at Lenora's Gym. Later, it was stolen by the Shadow Triad and later given to N. At the Dragonspiral Tower, N managed to awaken Zekrom, but was unable to connect with it for a while. Later, he successfully connected with Zekrom and convinced to fight for his cause.
Zekrom's only known move is Fusion Bolt.
Servine, as a Snivy, was one of the two Pokémon that N liberated from Cedric Juniper. Afterward, she stayed with N until she eventually evolved. She appeared with him at Nimbasa City when N confronted White at the Rondez-View Ferris Wheel. She was used to tease White's Gigi in order to force her to fight and free herself from her grip. After being defeated and Gigi joined N, Servine was sent to White's aid where she joined her.
In the Pocket Monsters BW manga
N first appears in the third chapter of the Pocket Monsters BW manga where he shows his ability to communicate with Pokémon which Red's Clefairy tries to record and sell for money.
|Purrloin was only shown interacting with N while Clefairy was recording N's voice to sell CD's. Due to this brief appearace, it is not known if it is a permanent member of N's team.|
In the Pocket Monsters BW: The Heroes of Fire and Thunder manga
N appears in every chapter of Pocket Monsters BW: The Heroes of Fire and Thunder as the king of Team Plasma, known for harshly punishing any failure by grunts and wishing to turn Unova into a country inhabited only by Pokémon. He is first seen wearing a cape in a town in Unova, where he is approached by Shin who asks him for a battle, impressed by his Purrloin. He responds that he is not a Pokémon Trainer, but merely a Traveler. Several Team Plasma grunts then appear and snatch up his Purrloin, not realising that he is their boss. Shin is angry about them stealing Pokémon, but N states that he should not get involved because it'd be dangerous for him, but Shin replies that he doesn't mind.
As they follow the grunts, N questions Shin's reasons for desperately trying to rescue his Purrloin if he is just a Pokémon Trainer who uses Pokémon as tools, to which he replies that traveling together with a Pokémon is just more fun. N overhears a pair of Pidove talking, to which Shin begs N to teach him how to understand Pokémon language, leading N to call him an odd Pokémon Trainer.
Catching up with Togari in a rocky plateau, he wonders why humans give orders to Pokémon to make them hurt each other, and tells Shin he is just saving Pokémon to make himself feel good, which he rejects, stating that being with a Pokémon is more fun for both the Trainer and the Pokémon as N hears Shin and his Tepig's voices in unison. N feels that Shin is stirring some emotion within him, saying that Shin really is an odd Pokémon Trainer for getting Purrloin back for him, and Shin decides to travel together with N as his journey will be more fun if they're together.
The second chapter starts as Shin and N are trying to return a Blitzle to its Zebstrika herd, but though having being asked to by the Blitzle, the Zebstrika are too scared to think because they are humans. N, realising this when Shin attacks with his Pignite, jumps in the way and takes the attack instead, getting severely burned upon his arms. He says that despite being in pain, it's fine if to stop a Pokémon from being hurt, explaining his dream to create a world where Pokémon can live happily by using the power of legendary Pokémon.
Shin replies that it's a dream he'll support too, but N advises him to find his own dream. As they arrive at Dragonspiral Tower, N and Shin are separated by a falling pillar. N suggests that they should each make their separate way to the top floor where the legendary Pokémon resides, but as Shin tries to ascend the tower, he is met by Togari who blocks him upon the orders of his "King"—to give him time to befriend Zekrom.
Finally, Shin arrives, and is surprised that no-one is there but N. N introduces Shin to his new friend who will fulfill his dream, Zekrom, this time stating in full that his dream is to free Pokémon from foolish humans and create a place they can live happily by making a country just for Pokémon. Shin realises his dream is the same as the dream of the "King" of Team Plasma, to which N replies is him himself, and argues that there is no other choice as the world as it exists just gets Pokémon hurt. As he flies off upon Zekrom's back, he tells Shin that though he despises humans, Shin alone he'll allow to live in the world he creates.
In chapters three and four N is shown standing on the rubble of the Pokémon League having defeated the Elite Four and states Alder is next; and is explained by Alder that N told him that nobody but a Pokémon Trainer by the name of Shin could stand up to him, and sent Alder to help him become the Hero of Fire by controlling Reshiram.
In the final chapter Shin arrives at the secret headquarters of Team Plasma, N's Castle to fight N. N decides that Shin is after all just another human who cannot hear the weeping voices of Pokémon, summoning Zekrom to do battle and easily defeating Shin, saying that the strength of the legendary Pokémon depend on how strong their hero's ideal or truth is, with his being the strongest having heard the weeping voices of Pokémon for so long, and the pain of separation will be only an instant of pain among a future free of it, as while humans live together with Pokémon, there will always be Pokémon hurt and crying somewhere.
Shin replies that if he was a real hero he'd save everyone, not just Pokémon, to which N replies that if that is true, show him his resolution through Reshiram. However, Shin gets defeated again, with him and Reshiram getting trapped under rubble, and Emboar unable to produce a flame. Yet he proclaims that he'll never give in until the very end, and Reshiram sets Emboar's fist on fire with its flame, to give it the power to attack through Zekrom's shield of thunder. However, as Emboar attempts to punch through it, instead it combines with the flame on his fist to become a piece of the Original Pokémon's power, a ball of flaming thunder, and Shin states that while N may be strong alone, Emboar's power now is a power they have only created by everyone working together, and Emboar punches out Zekrom.
Some time later, N lies together with Shin on the roof of his castle, realising that perhaps the world is not as black and white as he calculated, and that he will disband Team Plasma and rework his ideals over again from the start. Admitting that he too enjoyed their battle, he bids farewell to Shin as he flies off on Zekrom, wishing that perhaps one day they may meet and battle again.
N refuses to call the Pokémon he befriends "his Pokémon," instead naming them "his friends."
| Purrloin is the first Pokémon seen in N's possession. It is stolen by Team Plasma grunts attempting to win N's favor, yet not knowing they are stealing it from N. Shin helps N defeat Togari and get it back. Later, he uses it to deliver a letter to Togari.
None of Purrloin's moves are known.
|Debut||Justice Trainer Shin Appears!|
|Zekrom is N's second known Pokémon. Atop Dragonspiral Tower it responds to N's commitment to his ideals and allows him to befriend it. He later uses it to destroy the Pokémon League and battle against Shin.|
|Debut||The King's Identity...!!|
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring N in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
| Related cards|
Cards listed with a blue background are only legal to use in the current Expanded format.
Cards listed with a silver background are legal to use in both the current Standard and Expanded formats.
|N||Su||Noble Victories||92/101||Red Collection||066/066|
|Noble Victories||101/101||Red Collection||071/066|
|Dark Explorers||96/108||Reshiram EX Battle Strength Deck||016/018|
|Zekrom EX Battle Strength Deck||016/018|
|Master Deck Build Box EX||041/046|
|BW-P Promotional cards||180/BW-P|
- The cube hanging from N's belt is a sliding puzzle similar to a Void Cube, and has been in his possession since childhood. It's one of many design elements reflecting the character's mathematical motif, and also resembles the first iteration of a Menger sponge, a geometric figure that simultaneously has infinite surface area and zero volume.
- N's concept artwork and the accompanying notes indicate that the puzzle cube might eventually become relevant to the game's plot and show that a central cube with a keyhole will appear when the puzzle is solved, locking away something mysterious in its core, which is implied to be a Pokémon.
- N, Bianca, and Cheren are the only Trainers in Pokémon Black and White with animated battle sprites.
- Unlike most recurring characters, N battles with a completely different team in every appearance. This stems from his belief that Pokémon should not be used as tools, as every Pokémon he uses (except for the last battle against him) can be found in the surrounding area.
- Even if the player battles his Zekrom or Reshiram in Easy Mode or Challenge Mode, where it is levels 65 and 75 respectively, it will still be level 70 when the player battles it at Dragonspiral Tower.
- N has used all 17 types of Pokémon.
- Of the four seasonal teams he uses in Black 2 and White 2, his winter team is the only one to have a Pokémon introduced in Generation V: Vanilluxe.
- N is fought more times than any other villainous team leader. However, he uses the Pokémon Trainer class during his first two battles.
- N is the only villainous team leader who keeps his Japanese name.
- N speaks very quickly, as indicated by the fact that his dialogue is printed faster than that of other characters and by Cheren's comment upon first meeting him: "Slow down. You talk too fast." Regardless of what speed the player has the dialogue set at, N's dialogue prints at the fastest speed. If the dialogue is set to "fast," N's speech will print even faster.
- N is 1.80 m tall (5'11").
- N is the only non-player character in the main series games to use a legendary Pokémon, outside of battle facilities.
- N is also the only Trainer to use an event Pokémon.
- N's Trainer ID number is 00002.
- Discounting multiplayer and downloadable content, N is the only NPC to use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities, using a Ninetales with Drought and a Politoed with Drizzle.
- N is the only leader of a villainous team to befriend the player.
|Japanese||Ｎ N||The Latin letter N; from natural number. Also possibly short for Natural.|
|English, French, German,
Spanish, Italian, Chinese
Natural Harmonia Gropius
|Japanese||ナチュラル・ハルモニア・グロピウス Natural Harmonia Gropius||Natural comes from natural number; it may also reference to his understanding of nature. N and Harmonia may compound to make Enharmonic. Gropius may be a reference to the Bauhaus architect Walter Gropius.|
|English, French, German, Spanish, Italian||Natural Harmonia Gropius|
|Korean||내추럴 하르모니아 그로피우스 Naechureol Hareumonia Geuropiuseu|
|Non-player characters in the core series games|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|