Pokémon Heroes (Japanese: 水の都の護神 ラティアスとラティオス Mizu no Miyako no Mamori Gami Ratiasu to Ratiosu, The Water Capital's Protector Spirits Latias and Latios, officially Pocket Monsters The Guardians of Altomare in Japan) is the fifth Pocket Monsters movie. It features Latios and Latias.
It was released in Japan on July 13, 2002. Distributed on limited release by Miramax, it opened in select American theaters on May 16, 2003.
In Latin America, it was the last Pokémon movie to be dubbed to the Spanish language; the series continued to be dubbed in México, however.
Ash, Misty, Brock, and Pikachu come across the beautiful canal city of Alto Mare and decide to take a break from battling. However, unknown to our friends and the people of Alto Mare, two thieves decide to steal the Template:I, a trinket which holds the key to Alto Mare's defense systems and a great power. Ash must battle to save Alto Mare and its people.
- Director Kunihiko Yuyama looked to Venice, Italy for inspiration when designing Alto Mare.
- In a throwback to Pokémon 2000, Annie and Oakley are reading about Lawrence III during the credits of the movie.
- Images of Mewtwo, Lugia, Entei, and Celebi were hidden in the movie.
- This is the first movie to feature the death of a Pokémon.
- In the scene before the movie where Brock tells how Ash got Pikachu, Ash is pictured fully clothed - in the episode in question, Ash was still in his pajamas. Also, Pikachu is pictured like he and Ash already were friends. In the episode however, Pikachu hated Ash and it was first in the end they become friends.
The entire backstory of the movie was changed in the dub. A segment of approximately two minutes, which told the story of the origin of the Soul Dew in Alto Mare's ancient history, was cut. This cut also removed the reference to the fact that many Latios and Latias came and went to and from Alto Mare frequently, causing some confusion to dub watchers when two Latios and a Latias appeared in the credits. Replacement backstory was added in the form of dialogue telling about an evil trainer who once attacked the people of the city with a Kabutops and Aerodactyl, until Latios brought water to the town, drowning the evil Pokémon and turning the streets to canals.
Also, in the American DVD release of the movie, an intense blue tint was applied, making most of the colors much darker than in the original.