List of clothing in the anime
- 1 Ash
- 2 Misty
- 3 Brock
- 4 Tracey
- 5 May
- 6 Max
- 7 Dawn
- 8 Jessie, James and Meowth
In the Pokémon anime, while the main characters will generally wear a single outfit for several seasons, they have changed outfits from time to time and, at the start of a new saga, changed their main outfit entirely. This is a list of the different clothing and outfits worn by the main characters.
All of Ash's main outfits are highlighted by his hat. They often strongly feature the colors red and blue, along with black, white, green and golden yellow. These are primary and bold colors, accenting Ash's primary status in the series.
One of the curious notes about Ash's first outfit is that, unlike May and Dawn, while it is clear his clothing is directly inspired by Red's, it is a unique outfit design in its own right. This fact is also echoed by the outfits of Brock and Misty, which were designed purely for the anime instead of using the outfits seen in the game itself and the artwork for the game.
The outfit is a blue and white jacket with gold trims worn open over a black t-shirt with jeans, sneakers, green fingerless gloves, and of course Ash's hat. The only part of the outfit with a known story behind it is the hat, which Ash won from a contest from the Pokémon League. However, other parts of the outfit are notable for practical reasons: Ash kept his Kanto and Orange League badges pinned to the inside of the jacket, and hung his Poké Balls from his belt.
The sneakers are likely the ones mentioned in the lyrics of Type: Wild.
Ash's second outfit was the first alternate main outfit to be seen on any character, and by default, the least expected. Brock and Misty's second outfit would not debut until several episodes after Ash's did.
Along with a new hat, Ash wore a hoodie instead of a jacket, black gloves instead of green, and new pants and sneakers. He also started wearing a new backpack.
All of his new clothes, however, bear a notable resemblance to his old clothes, probably to maintain his style and avoid confusion which would be caused by a completely new appearance. This becomes a common theme among all new outfits: they are new takes on the style on the former outfits.
Diamond & Pearl
Based on the example set by Advanced Generation, at the start of Diamond & Pearl, most fans were expecting Ash to wear a new outfit. Outfit changes are now accepted as routine if and when the anime changes sagas.
His third outfit takes a step back to his first outfit by wearing a jacket instead of a hoodie, and with colors closer to the original. This time, however, he tends to keep his jacket closed, possibly because he no longer keeps badges pinned to the inside. It also has a white undershirt instead of black for a change, as well as a new hat, new pants, and new sneakers. His gloves appear to be the same as those from the second outfit. His backpack is new but, again, green. It should be noted that this new outfit is mostly based on that of Lucas, the male player character from Diamond and Pearl. The only differences are the hat designs, sneakers, backpack color, and the fact that Ash wears open fingered gloves but no scarf. It also bears traits of Red's outfit, mainly the white collar.
One of the most common complaint among fans about the outfit is the yellow stripe across Ash's chest. This is, considering its curve, apparently based on the lower half of the Poké Ball symbol which was seen on Ash's pocket in his second outfit. However, given how long it is now, it is more difficult to tell.
Ash started wearing this outfit in When Pokémon Worlds Collide!.
- Ash wears a kimono to a summer fesitval in The Ghost of Maiden's Peak.
- Ash and Brock don party outfits in The March of the Exeggutor Squad. Ash wears a bright orange tuxedo with a frilled shirt and orange bowler hat.
- Ash fantasizes about wearing a blue tuxedo for a movie premier in Go West, Young Meowth.
- In Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, the characters dress up in formal medieval-themed outfits. Ash wears an outfit based directly on that of Sir Aaron: it is a blue tunic over a gray long-sleeved shirt and gray pants, matched with blue gloves and boots and a teal hat and hooded cape.
- Ash has a pair of green and yellow pajamas that he wears whenever he sleeps. It was first seen in Pokémon, I Choose You! when he ran to Professor Oak's Laboratory in it. This clothing stays with him from Kanto to Sinnoh. When he sleeps, he also removes his hat.
He also wore a cow suit in Challenge of the Samurai.
Ash also had an orange and white dress with red Mary-Janes he wore to get into Erika's gym. The outfit was worn with a blonde wig with a large pink bow in it. When wearing this outfit, he went by the name "Ashley". The wig was destroyed when Pikachu electrocuted him, but it is unknown what happened to the dress and shoes afterwards. It is possible he still has them.
- POKEMON Ash's Pajamas.JPG
- EP004 001.jpg
Ash as a "Template:P2".
Contest attire for the Wallace Cup
All of Misty's main outfits feature yellow, with some red and blue.
Misty's first outfit, and her best known, is a yellow shirt and short jean shorts held up with red suspenders. She wore red and white sneakers with it, and also carried a red draw-string bag with it.
This outfit also debuted her hairstyle, which is typically the way she always wears it, regardless of her outfit: a small side ponytail. She will occasionally take it down, but usually only if she is sleeping or wearing a formal outfit of some sort.
Misty's second outfit is apparently yellow vest with a large blue button on the front and yellow shorts worn over some sort of dark-red swimsuit or leotard. She wears it with short orange boots. The few times she carries a backpack with it, it is a small backpack designed to look like a Spheal.
Misty started wearing this outfit in The Princess and the Togepi.
- Misty wears a kimono to a summer fesitval in The Ghost of Maiden's Peak.
- Misty wears a stage dress designed to look like Goldeen in The March of the Exeggutor Squad.
- Misty fantasizes about wearing a red dress for a movie premier in Go West, Young Meowth.
- Misty and Brock both wore special outfits for the Weekly Pokémon Broadcasting Station. Misty's outfit is a red china dress.
- Misty wears a red bikini in Beauty and the Beach.
- Misty sometimes wears her mermaid outfit first seen in The Misty Mermaid while at her gym.
- Misty sometimes wears a different yellow sleeveless top first shown in Luvdisc is a Many Splendored Thing.
Brock's main outfits contain different shades of the earthy colors green, brown and orange.
One of the most distinct features of Brock's first outfit was his green vest, which had four large pockets on the front. He wore this over an orange short-sleeved shirt, along with brown pants and blue and white sneakers. On either side of his belt, which was black with a gold rectangular buckle, he had attached brown belt pockets. With it, he carried a large blue backpack with a bedroll clearly seen strapped to it at the top.
Assumably, he keeps many supplies in his many pockets, just as he tends to fill his bag with more supplies than it should be realistically able to hold. However, he has never been seen reaching into these pockets, so their contents remain unknown.
Diamond & Pearl
Brock started wearing this outfit in Two Degrees of Separation!
- Ash and Brock don party outfits in The March of the Exeggutor Squad. Brock wears a white outfit with large pink frills on the sleeves and pant cuffs. He holds a pair of maracas with it.
- Brock fantasizes about wearing a blue tuxedo for a movie premier in Go West, Young Meowth.
- One of Brock's best known outfits is his "Takeshi's Paradise" outfit. This was possibly inspired by his outfit in The March of the Exeggutor Squad. It is similar in many ways, particularly the pink frills. However, this outfit is purple and red instead of white. Also, he wears a large sombrero with it, and his maracas now look like Poké Balls.
- Brock wears a white tuxedo in Beauty and the Breeder. He is seen in it again in Temacu's wedding fantasy in The Heartbreak of Brock with a rose tucked in the breast pocket.
- Misty and Brock both wore special outfits for the Weekly Pokémon Broadcasting Station. Brock's outfit is a lime green tuxedo with an oversized sparkling pink bow tie.
- Brock wears a purple suit in fantasies in Berry, Berry Interesting and Hail to the Chef. For some reason, these fantasies also always involve Brock's woman of choice in a red dress with a white hair accessory, and drinking milk from a wine glass. However, the suit itself is variable; in the first episode, he wears it with a tie, and in the second, with a bow tie.
- In Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, the characters dress up in formal medieval-themed outfits. Brock wears a beige robe similar to that of a priest covered by some sort of cape or mantle in brown, green, orange, and trimmed with gold, all topped with an orange skullcap.
- Brock's usually wears light blue swim trunks with three dark blue diamonds on the sides. In Advanced Generation onwards, these are colored as purple instead of light blue, due to the different palette.
- In the hotspring scene in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, he wears a different pair of swim trunks that are olive green with an orange stripe down the side. However, this is only known from artwork since in the scene itself, nothing below Brock's neck is ever seen above water.
- He wore these same swimtrunks in DP047.
- One of Brock's best known accessories is his pink frilly apron. He frequently wears it while cooking or doing other chores.
- He also wears an alternate apron, known as the "movie apron" since it is only seen in the Pokémon movies. This apron is bright blue with neon green straps.
Tracey has only had one main outfit throughout the entire series. It consists of a loose green T-shirt, red shorts, blue sneakers, and his most notable accessory, a light red headband that he uses to keep his hair out of his face.
Tracey is the only main character from the original series who never changed outfits at the start of Advanced Generation.
- His first swimwear outfit was simply a pair of navy-blue swim trunks as seen in The Joy of Pokémon.
- The second was seen in Pokémon Double Trouble. Still a pair of navy-blue swim trunks but these has a sunflower print on them. He also removed his headband while in this outfit.
- The third was seen in The Blue Badge of Courage. Yet another pair of blue swim trunks but these had an orange stripe painted on the legs.
In Luvdisc is a Most Splenderous Thing, Daisy fantasized Tracey playing the prince in her water ballet along side Misty. This outfit consisted of a blue shirt with long sleeves and gold trimming, teal pants, a red cape, and a silver crown. This would be the second time he is seen without his headband.
Advanced Generation series
May's main outfit is a red t-shirt with a dark-blue circle around her neck, dark-blue shorts, white skirt, red and yellow sneakers, a red bandanna with a white Poké Ball-like drawing, and dark-blue and white gloves. It is based off of the outfit her game counterpart wears in Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire.
Diamond & Pearl series
Much like Ash and Brock changed clothes at the start of both Diamond & Pearl and Advanced Generation, and Misty did before her return in The Princess and the Togepi, May changed clothes sometime between her departure in Home Is Where the Start Is and her return in DP075. Her outfit in the Diamond & Pearl series is based off of the outfit that her game counterpart wears in Pokémon Emerald.
- In Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, the characters dress up in formal medieval-themed outfits. May wears a white, pink and red ball gown decorated with tiny bows and with a decoration similar to Beautifly wings on the back. She wears her hair in two different ways in this outfit, with different accessories for each: in one way, she wears a large pink bow styled to look like her regular bandana, and another, she has little pink pom-poms in her hair.
- She wore winter clothes in a flashback in DP076 while at Ice Rock near Snowpoint City. It is mostly a pink dress with sleeves and pink shoes.
May has lots of swimsuits.
May also wore sleeveless pink colored ninja clothes in the episode From Cradle to Save!.
Max's main outfit is a green t-shirt, green and brown sneakers, black glasses and brown shorts.
- In Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, the characters dress up in formal medieval-themed outfits. Max's outfit appears to be one of a young prince with a beret and a cape.
Dawn's outfit consists of a mini dress which is mostly black with a white part inside a V-shaped neck with a pink skirt. On her head, she wears a white beanie with a pink Poké Ball print on it. She also wears gold hair clips that hold up her hair in front. On her feet, she wears pink knee-high boots with black socks underneath. She also has a small yellow back pack with all her personal belongings.
Dawn's outfit has been criticized by many people as being too revealing for someone of her age claiming that her skirt is too short. However short skirts are a common thing among many anime shows with girls that are not that much older than Dawn.
- Formal clothes are a key part of Dawn's wardrobe, since she dresses up nicely for all her Pokémon Super Contests.
- She frequently wears a pink dress to them.
- Her first dress is a red dress she received from her mother. It also comes with a choker, and she styles her hair when she is wearing it.
- Dawn has an entire suitcase full of other dresses which her mother did not allow her to take with her.
- Dawn wore an yellow and orange bikini in Sandshrew's Locker!.
- The Pokémon Learning League website portrays Dawn with her white undershirt having sleeves that reach past her elbows, and black stockings or tights covering her legs.
- Dawn donned a pink cheerleading outfit in O'er the Rampardos we Watched and again in DP067.
- Dawn also wore a maid's outfit to help out at the Café Cabin in DP062.
- Dawn swimsuit.PNG
Dawn's swimsuit from DP047.
- Dawn cheerleading clothes.jpg
Helping out at the Café Cabin.
Jessie and James are usually found in the same outfit at all times: their white Team Rocket uniforms. There has been some question about the position or rank denoted by these uniforms, since most Rocket Grunts wear a black version of the same uniform. Jessie and James have only been seen wearing a different color uniform in Training Daze, where they wear dark red. They also wore the black uniforms once.
Meowth, being a Pokémon, has no main outfit and is seen most often wearing nothing but his own fur. However, he does have a fairly notable list of side outfits which he's worn alongside Jessie and James.
Frequently, when they are not wearing their Team Rocket uniforms, they are most likely wearing something as a disguise to fool the twerps. These range from very elaborate to very simple outfits, all of which have fooled Ash and his friends with similar success.
Several of these disguises are posing as other characters, such as Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy. Brock is usually the best at telling these disguises from the actual women, whether he is aware of it or not.
- In Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, the characters dress up in formal medieval-themed outfits. Jessie and James looked possibly the most out of place, perhaps as a tongue-in-cheek joke, wearing extravagent outfits based more on the Victorian era than medieval times. Meowth, on the other hand, wore one of the most well-known of medieval outfits, a suit of armor.
- Whenever she competes in Pokémon Super Contests, Jessie wears a large orange dress with light brown boots, with round yellow and orange glasses and her hair in pigtails, under the name Jessalina (Japanese: キャンディ・ムサリーナ Candy Musalina).
- Jessie and James both wore two-piece bikinis in Beauty and the Beach. James wore his with giant inflatable breasts. These swimsuits were never seen in the English dub, since the scene containing them was cut.
- Jessie and James also both wore swimsuits in A Staravia is Born!. Jessie wore a blue bikini and James wore a blue bathingsuit. They both had the 'R' logo on them.
This is the infamous scene that got cut in the English dub.
- JessieJames Swimsuits.jpg
Jessie's and James's swimsuits from A Staravia is Born!.
- POKEMON Jessie and James Outfit Ep 402.JPG
Jenny and Joy disguises