From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
This is a list of Pokémon that appear every regional Pokédex, listed in their National Pokédex order. All of the Pokémon that fit this description can only be from Generation I, due to the need to be in the Kanto Pokédex. This worldwide distribution is analogous to cosmopolitan distribution, the notion of a species that can be found anywhere on the planet.
There remain some Pokémon that have been included in every regional Pokédex since their release, such as Marill, but these Pokémon cannot be included in the main list. These Pokémon are listed below the main table.
List of Pokémon that appear in every regional Pokédex
These Pokémon appear in every regional Pokédex to date; as of Generation IV, this includes the Kanto Regional Pokédex, the Johto Regional Pokédex, the Hoenn Regional Pokédex, and the Sinnoh Regional Pokédex.
List of Pokémon that have appeared in every regional Pokédex since their debut
Since Generation II
These Generation II Pokémon appear in the Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh regional Pokédexes, but not the Kanto Pokédex, as they did not appear in Generation I.
Since Generation III
These Generation III Pokémon appear in both the Hoenn and Sinnoh regional Pokédexes. They are absent from the Kanto or Johto listings.
- Three of these evolution lines reach their final form via trade (the Alakazam, Golem and Machamp families). The Gengar family is the only evolutionary family to evolve by trade in Generation I to not appear in every regional Pokédex (they are not in the Hoenn Pokédex)
- The Pikachu, Zubat, Rhyhorn and Magnemite families have all been expanded in later generations to include a third form.
- Two of these forms, Pichu and Crobat, have appeared in every regional Pokédex since their debut (as Generation V's regional Pokédex has not been revealed, it is unknown if Magnezone and Rhyperior will yet join them). Marill, who has appeared in every regional Pokédex since debut, has also received a new, pre-evolution, Azurill, in Generation III which has appeared in both regional Pokédexes since.
- All but two of these Pokémon (Girafarig and Heracross from Generation II onward), are from multi-stage evolutionary families.
- The five initial main characters of the anime own, or have owned, Pokémon from these families at some point. Ash still has his Pikachu, who was his first Pokémon and remains a mascot for the franchise, Misty has a Goldeen, a Psyduck and a Gyarados, and Brock had a Geodude and a Zubat. Also, both Jessie and James have at some point owned a Magikarp, as a result of an encounter with the Magikarp salesman.