From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Levitate (Japanese: ふゆう Floating) is an Ability introduced in Generation III. Thirty-three Pokémon have this Ability naturally, most of which are either Psychic- or Ghost-type.
Levitate renders the user immune to Ground-type moves (except Sand-Attack), Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Arena Trap, and damage from Sky Drop. These immunities can be lost if holding an Iron Ball, or the Pokémon is under the effects of Smack Down, Gravity, or Ingrain.
Outside of battle
Levitate has no effect outside of battle.
Pokémon with Levitate
Pokéstar Studios Pokémon with Levitate
|| First Ability
|| Second Ability
|| Hidden Ability
|| UFO 2
| Please note that this is only 100% accurate to Generation VI games.
- For Generation III games, ignore Abilities introduced in Generation IV or later and Hidden Abilities.
- For Generation IV games, ignore Hidden Abilities.
- For Generation V games, ignore Abilities introduced in Generation VI.
In the anime
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
- Many non-Flying-type Pokémon that have been seen to be capable of floating or flying, such as Beedrill, cannot have this Ability.
- Shedinja also cannot have this Ability, but its Wonder Guard Ability gives it immunity to Ground-type moves. However, Shedinja is still affected by the effects of Arena Trap, Spikes and Toxic Spikes.
- Despite the fact that its Generation IV and Generation V descriptions state that Levitate gives immunity to all Ground-type moves, Pokémon with Levitate are affected by Sand-Attack.
- Even if a levitating Pokémon uses Dig, the Pokémon will still be unaffected by Earthquake and Magnitude.
- Fan Rotom is the only Pokémon with this Ability to be naturally immune to Ground-type moves due to being Flying-type in Generation V and onward.
- Bronzor and Bronzong are the only Pokémon that can naturally have this Ability that also have a secondary Ability. In addition, they are the only ones that have a Hidden Ability as well.
- Gengar, Vibrava, Eelektrik and Eelektross, despite having this ability, land on the floor of the battlefield when sent out of their Poké Balls. All others with this ability float without touching the floor.
In other languages