Art from Crystal
|Hometown||New Bark Town|
|Trainer class||Pokémon Trainer, Player character|
|Games||Crystal, Pokémon Stadium 2|
|Counterpart debut||The Legend of Thunder!|
|Manga counterpart(s)||Crystal, Chris|
She was the first female player character in the Pokémon videogame series, a feature that would be carried on in subsequent game releases.
Storyline in the games
Kris's journey as a Pokémon Trainer begins when Professor Elm asks her to run an errand for Mr. Pokémon, who lives north of Cherrygrove City. Because she may encounter dangerous wild Pokémon along the way, Elm gives her a choice between three Pokémon to protect her: Cyndaquil, Totodile or Chikorita.
Kris continues onward and finally meets Mr. Pokémon and completes her errand. While there she meets Professor Oak who, upon realizing Kris's bond with her new Pokémon, gives her a Pokédex. On her way back home, Kris again meets Silver, who has stolen one of Elm's remaining Pokémon. After defeating the boy in battle, she learns his name and relays it to the police in New Bark Town. Professor Elm allows Kris to keep the Pokémon she chose earlier, and encourages her to compete in the Johto League.
From there Kris begins on a Pokémon journey in the Johto region, facing off against its eight Gym Leaders, defeating and disbanding the newly reformed Team Rocket, and becoming Pokémon League Champion by defeating the Elite Four and its previous Champion, Lance at Indigo Plateau. Along the way she also teaches Silver to respect Pokémon as living creatures and not just as tools for battle. Kris also uncovered the mystery of the Tin Tower and its legendary Pokémon, Entei, Suicune, and Raikou.
After being declared the Pokémon League Champion, Kris then takes a short trip on a ship, the S.S. Aqua, from Olivine City to Vermilion City in Kanto. Journeying across that region, she battles against its own set of eight Gym Leaders, including two new faces, Janine, who replaced her father Koga on his promotion to the Elite Four, and Blue, who was formerly Pokémon League Champion himself, and replaced Giovanni after the latter fled. Upon getting permission from Professor Oak in Pallet Town, Kris heads for Mt. Silver via Route 28. Her journey comes to a close when she faces the Champion from Pallet Town Pokémon Trainer Red deep in Mt. Silver Cave, who had been training there since shortly after he became Pokémon League Champion three years prior.
| Kris sprite from
| Back sprite from
| Overworld sprite from|
Optional names for Kris
- Kris is the first playable female character in Pokémon games, a feature included in all traditional Pokémon RPGs since. Despite this, the female choice in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver is Lyra, who was designed from scratch by Takao Unno.
- A beta screenshot from Pokémon Crystal indicates that Kris had a different design at some point in the game's development.
- Kris's alternate Japanese names would later be shared with Leaf, Dawn, and Lyra.
- Kris is the only player character to have no official name given to her because of her lack of name in the internal game data and the fact she does not appear as a non-player character. Instead, the name Kris comes from the back of the American Pokémon Crystal version's boxart. The name Kris is also the first default name.
- Kris is the only player character not to have black or brown hair; her hair is blue.
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|