From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| It has been suggested that this article be moved to Kenny.|
Please discuss whether or not to move it on its talk page.
Kenny (Japanese: ケンゴ Kengo) is a Coordinator and is a childhood friend of Dawn and Leona. He and Dawn have since become rivals.
Kenny first appeared in Getting the Pre-Contest Titters and Settling a Not-So-Old Score in which he and Dawn entered the Floaroma Pokémon Contest. Both of them made it to the finals, but he lost to Dawn after a closely fought battle.
He made a brief appearance on television in Throwing the Track Switch with his Prinplup in which he appears winning a Pokémon Contest, which gave him his second ribbon.
He appeared again in Journey to the Unown! and Team Shocker!, where he enters the Solaceon Town Contest with a new Pokémon, a Breloom.
Kenny and Leona in their childhood
In Pruning a Passel of Pals! and Strategy With a Smile! he made short cameos watching the Wallace Cup on TV. Kenny then made a cameo in A Breed Stampede! alongside with Nando in Marian's news report about Coordinators.
He also appeared in Stopped in the Name of Love!, along with Barry, where they revealed that they are best friends, despite having recently met. In Old Rivals, New Tricks!, he reappeared, entering in the Sandalstraw Town Contest and won against Dawn's Ambipom with his Prinplup, earning him his fourth ribbon.
Kenny calls Dawn by her nickname, Dee Dee (Japanese: ピカリ Pikari). It was revealed in DP161 that he came up with the name to make fun of Dawn when they were younger.
In DP174, Kenny participated in the Sinnoh Grand Festival, where it was revealed that his Prinplup had evolved into an Empoleon. During the appeal round, he used Empoleon alongside his Floatzel, and while the appeal started well Empoleon's Flash Cannon was too powerful and Floatzel was sent flying. As a result, Kenny didn't make it past the appeal round, leading to an early exit from the competition. Upset about his loss, Kenny decided not to remain for the rest of the Grand Festival and after bidding farewell to Dawn and her friends, Kenny left Lake Valor to being his training anew. He made a brief cameo in DP177 watching Dawn and Zoey compete in the finals.
He is set to appear again in DP180.
This listing is of Kenny's known Pokémon:
Kenny's outfit in usual Contests
Kenny's outfit in the Grand Festival
- His Japanese name may be derived from 金剛 kongo, the Japanese word for "diamond". This is similar to how Shinji (Paul), who is Ash's rival, is similar to 真珠 shinju, the Japanese word for "pearl".
- Just like Gary Oak, another rival of a main character, Kenny started off with a Template:Type2 Pokémon and owns an Alakazam.
- Both Gary and Kenny have a Japanese voice actress whose first names are both read as Yūko.
- Kenny has similarities to his and Dawn's other friend, Leona, having a similar hairstyle, clothes, both being Dawn's childhood friend and both calling Dawn "Dee Dee" sometimes.
- All of Kenny's Pokémon are voiced by Bill Rogers in English, expect for Machoke, who is voiced for Tom Wayland.
- Kenny has a blue Pokétch, the one given to male players in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl.