From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Johanna (Japanese: アヤコ Ayako) is the mother of the player character in Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. In the anime, she is the mother of Dawn while in Pokémon Adventures, she is the mother of Diamond.
In the games
Unlike previous mothers, Johanna is less content to stay at home. After the player begins their journey, she can be found at the Contest Hall and occasionally enters Master Rank Super Contests with her Kangaskhan, Jumpy (Japanese: ガルちゃん Garu-chan).
She seems to be a friend of the judge Keira.
- "Oh, hi, <player>."
- "Oh, I don't know about that. I've never spoken to <player> about Contests. I'm surprised you two know each other, though."
- "Were you surprised to see me, <player>? I got bored, so I came out to Hearthome for a little vacation. I'm just as surprised to see you here, my dear! But are you serious about entering Contests? Not dressed that way! When your Pokémon is all dressed up, you can't be dressed your usual way. Put this on for a little glamour."
- "I'm sure it will look good on you. After all, I chose it. Go enjoy the Contests, honey! Contests will give you a different look at the many charms of Pokémon. It should be an eye-opening experience for you. Bye now!"
In the anime
Johanna made her debut appearance in the anime in Following A Maiden's Voyage!.
She used to be a great Pokémon Coordinator, having won a Ribbon Cup from the Grand Festival and earning the title of Top Coordinator. Dawn wanted to follow in her footsteps and become a great Coordinator as well. When Dawn left on her journey, Johanna gave her the Ribbon she first received, which both of them carried for good luck.
In The Bells are Singing!, it was revealed that she sewed Buneary's vest. As a young girl, she was shown participating in a Contest in a flashback in Battling the Generation Gap! against her childhood rival, Lila.
In Battling a Cute Drama!, Ash, Dawn, and Brock received their new outfits from her.
Young Johanna along with her Glameow
Johanna appeared in Strategy Begins at Home! and met Ash and Brock in person for the first time. She used Glameow and an Umbreon in a Double Battle with her daughter, which she quickly won. While one might think that her skills might have gotten rusty since she became a mom, it turns out that she teaches a Coordinator class out of her home, and even has a battlefield behind her house for instructing her students. As a result, her skills are still as sharp as ever.
In Challenging a Towering Figure!, Johanna was the hostess for the tournament which was a part of the Twinleaf Festival. She wore a gown during the occasion.
In Teaching the Student Teacher!, Johanna was supposed to have a seminar for children, "My Very First Pokémon Coordinator Class," but she had to fill in for a Nurse Joy who was taking care of too many Pokémon as a judge in the Neighborly Town Contest. Dawn volunteered to teach in her place. At the end of the episode, Johanna gave Dawn a new outfit to wear at the Grand Festival.
She appeared in a brief cameo in Last Call, First Round!, Opposites Interact! and Coming Full Festival Circle! watching Dawn compete in the Sinnoh Grand Festival, then again in person in A Grand Fight for Winning! in the audience. She also made a cameo appearance in Zoroark: Master of Illusions.
Her latest appearance was in SS024 when Dawn returned home, she decided to have a battle her Piplup and Cyndaquil. But after Piplup and Cyndaquil started squabbling, the battle was stopped. She is lastly seen saying her farewells to Dawn on her journey to Hoenn.
This listing is of Johanna's known Pokémon in the anime:
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Johanna was first seen in Perturbed by Pachirisu in a video that Platinum was watching to practice for her first Pokémon Contest. Later, she makes an appearance as a figment of Diamond's thought after the boy reminisced about the bonds that families share in Vexing Vespiquen & Unmanageable Mothim II. She made her first official debut in VS. Sableye when Diamond learns that she had headed to Lake Verity to gather berries and would be in danger because of Team Galactic's plan to blow up the lake there. He goes and finds her being held hostage by the Galactic Commander Mars. Johanna barely manages to escape with Diamond's help as he distracts Mars and allows his mother to run away.
After returning home alongside Sebastian (Platinum's butler) and Roseanne, she realizes that the jacket and shoes that she ordered for Diamond were gone, and conjures the idea to call him on the phone she left in a pocket. Soon, though, after he receives her call, she hears from him that he's infiltrated their flying shuttle and will be having a final showdown with Team Galactic, much to her shock.
|| Kangaskhan ♀
| Kangaskhan is Johanna's second seen Pokémon. She is assumed to be another one of Johanna's Contest Pokémon as shown in a picture of her and Dexter.
|| VS. Sableye
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Johanna or her Pokémon in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
- Johanna is the first mother of an anime protagonist to be directly based on a game counterpart.
- Johanna is the only mother of a player character in a handheld game whose name is known.
- Johanna's Japanese name was originally intended to be Emiko (エミコ), as seen in the early sketches for Diamond & Pearl series.
- The color of Johanna's first Ribbon—the one she gave Dawn at the start of her journey—is the same color as the Ribbon Dawn first earned but it wasn't the same Ribbon.
|| アヤコ Ayako
|| Possibly from casa (home).
|| 진희 Jinhyi
|| 彩子 Cǎizǐ
|| From the name 彩子 Ayako.