- "Kenta" redirects here. For the character of the day in Jostling for the Junior Cup!, see Kenton. For the voice actor, see Kenta Miyake.
|Hometown||New Bark Town|
|Anime debut||The Legend of Thunder!|
|English voice actor||Sean Schemmel|
|Japanese voice actor||Kenji Nojima|
Jimmy (Japanese: ケンタ Kenta) is the main protagonist of The Legend of Thunder!.
His starter Pokémon was Cyndaquil, received from Professor Elm of New Bark Town at the same time as Vincent and Marina. Despite being close friends, the trio did not travel together and went their separate ways. However, they crossed paths occasionally in their journeys. In one of his meetings with Marina, he captured a Weedle which became one of his most important Pokémon and eventually evolved into a powerful Beedrill.
Jimmy then left on a mission to become increasingly strong and eventually got his Cyndaquil to evolve into a Quilava and after that into a Typhlosion, allowing him to fight on equal terms with his rival and win.
Again on his journey, Jimmy once again met Marina. They had a battle where, although Marina showed the results of their training, Jimmy still took the lead, defeating Marina's Jigglypuff and almost defeating Wani-Wani. The battle was interrupted however by the actions of a group of Team Rocket who were working nearby. In his attempt to save the legendary Pokémon Raikou, Jimmy was beaten by agents of the organization, but he managed to stop them temporarily with the help of his Beedrill and took the wounded Raikou to the nearby Pokémon Center.
During the treatment of Raikou, Jimmy met the mysterious Legendary Pokémon expert called Eusine, he claimed that Raikou attacked by retaliation, but Jimmy denied it.
When Raikou awoke, stunned, Jimmy tried to talk to it, but it attacked and tried to escape to the forest. Jimmy, Marina and the others tried to follow and met up with Attila and Hun from Team Rocket. They battled a fierce battle with them, and during the battle Jimmy and Marina were saved by Vincent who suddenly arrived on the scene.
Through the efforts of Jimmy, Marina, Eusine and Vincent, the Trainers were able to defeat Team Rocket and Jimmy finally got the trust of Raikou which Jimmy then considered his friend.
Jimmy has an energetic personality both during battles and outside of them. He has a habit of saying "You rock and you rule!" ("OK! Perfect!" in the original) to his Pokémon and giving them a thumbs-up after winning a battle. He can be quick to jump to conclusions but also knows when to be serious and get a job done.
Jimmy is similar in many ways to Ash. He also cares for Pokémon very much. This can be seen in his concern for Raikou when it was injured. He is also determined and never gives up in battle. Like Ash, he is also close to his starter Pokémon, which is now a Typhlosion. He has a battle style that focuses on offense. As such, his Pokémon are trained to take attacks and still keep fighting.
This is a listing of Jimmy's known Pokémon:
Typhlosion was Jimmy's starter Pokémon, given to him as a Cyndaquil by Professor Elm. He obtained it on the same day that Vincent got his Chikorita and Marina got her Totodile. Jimmy and Typhlosion are very close to each other.
|Debut||The Legend of Thunder!|
|Jimmy had Beedrill as a Weedle early on, even before he started his Pokémon journey. It had already evolved twice before The Legend of Thunder!. He used it in a battle against Marina's Jigglypuff, Little Pink, in which Beedrill won. Jimmy relies on Beedrill's speed during battles and flight situations where it proves itself very useful.|
|Debut||The Legend of Thunder!|
Jimmy also has at least four other Pokémon, as he was seen with six Poké Balls during The Legend of Thunder, two of which contained Typhlosion and Beedrill.
|Ken Sugimori's design of Jimmy for the anime.|
Jimmy has competed in the following Pokémon League competitions:
- Silver Conference (off-screen)
- Much like Ash is based on Red, Jimmy is based on Ethan. However, a separate character made a cameo in the beginning of Zoroark: Master of Illusions, battling against Ash with a Donphan. Unlike Jimmy, that character wears Ethan's updated clothes from HeartGold and SoulSilver, and is indeed referred to as "Hibiki" (Ethan's Japanese name) in the art gallery feature of the Japanese DVD.
- When Vincent appeared in the Silver Conference (known then as Jackson in the dub), Marina and Jimmy were referred to "Dani and Yoshi" respectively, leading many to believe that "Yoshi" was the official English name for Jimmy, and "Dani" was the official English name for Marina. Whether this was the original intention remains unknown. However, in The Legend of Thunder!, they're identified as Jimmy and Marina.
- Jimmy's English name may come directly from Gold and Silver. There is a minor Trainer named "Kenta" in the Japanese version whose name was localized as "Jimmy" in the English translation - a Youngster on Route 3 with a Raticate and Arbok. The dubbers may have mistaken this character for an unrelated anime character. The same thing happened to Vincent.
- Jimmy is the only anime character based on a player character who has met his opposite-gender counterpart, as he is good friends with Marina, based on Kris.
|Chinese (Mandarin))||健太 Jiàntài||From 健太 Kenta. Can mean "extremely healthy."|
|This article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|