From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| It's Super Effective|
| "What's up, everybody?"
It's Super Effective's podcast art, which features Gengar and is inspired by Red and Blue's box art.
|| July 2010 - Present
|| July 2010 - Present
| Podcast debuted
|| July 26, 2010
| Website opened
|| July 24, 2010 (as PokémonPodcast.com)
|| Steve Black Jr.
|| Jane Doe
| Number of Episodes
|| 93 (as of October 23, 2012)
|| Gengar (podcast art)|
Slow Nyan Poke
- This article is about the podcast. For the in-game concept, see Damage modification. For the webcomic, see Super Effective (webcomic).
It's Super Effective is a Pokémon-centric podcast hosted by Steve Black Jr., also known by his initials SBJ, and is the flagship show of PKMNcast.com. It's Super Effective began on July 26, 2010, two days after the launch of the website, which began as PokémonPodcast.com.
- Introduction - Steve usually begins with "What's up, everybody?" and introduces the cast members.
- News - The hosts discuss recent events in the Pokémon community.
- ExtremeSpeed - Steve and occasionally another cast member grill another cast member (usually a new guest) with a string of questions, usually pertaining to a personal preference between two Types, Pokémon, or Items.
- Featured Team - Steve and the cast give comments and constructive criticism on a listener's submitted team of Pokémon. Steve has said that this is reminiscent of a similar feature in Nintendo Power magazines he read in his childhood.
- Pokémon of the Week - Steve and the cast usually end the show with talking about one Pokémon in particular. This sometimes relates to the weekly articles on the website. The chat ranges between facts of the Pokémon, movesets recommendations, and sometimes debates on whether or not the shiny form is cool.
These people have made one or two appearances on the show, either as a co-host or as an interviewee.
Since its debut in 2010, the podcast has followed a naming convention for the titles of each episode, which changes every ten episodes:
|| Naming theme
|| "[Subject A] to [Subject B]"
|| "Pokémon [Color or Object] Version"
|| "The [Subject]"
|| Jay-Z songs
|| "[Letter] as in [Subject starting with letter]" (Sesame Street)
|| The Simpsons episode titles
|| Video games
- Critical Hit
- A video podcast that is either consisting of various Pokémon-related things happening in Black Jr.'s life or a video version of the main audio podcast, depending on the episode. In the former's case, the podcast finishes off with a Pokémon-related YouTube video before the credits.
- Steve's uncensored side project. Leftovers was hosted by Black Jr. and his friend Chris. Leftovers dealt with a more adult side of the Pokémon fandom, but is currently on hiatus. Also called "It's Super Offensive."
The podcast art for Critical Hit, featuring Magmar.
The podcast art for Leftovers, featuring Cofagrigus.
It's Super Effective is currently the most popular Pokémon podcast on iTunes and Zune. On the Zune Marketplace, the podcast is the fifty-fifth most subscribed podcast that's available on the service and forty-eighth among audio podcasts. It became the leading Pokémon podcast after The Pallet Tribune's WTPT - Pokémon Radio ended production in 2010, the same year that ISE debuted. It won the third and fourth annual Shorty Awards (2011 and 2012) in the community-created category of "The Best Podcast in Social Media" with 50 and 145 votes, respectively.
People that are listed in italics are also current recurring podcast hosts.
- Steve Black Jr.
- Creator/Host of the It's Super Effective podcast and webmaster of PKMNcast.com.
- David Thomas
- Previously PKMN of the Week Editor, now Lore Editor.
- Travis Wheeler
- Previously Item of the Week Editor, now Rare Article Editor.
- William Anderson
- PKMN of the Week Editor.
- Wil Brendel
- Ability of the Week Editor.
- Saul Coronado
- Tumblr Editor.
- Kay Street
- Saturday Sketch Editor.
- Jay Petrequin
- Previously Concept Editor, now writes "Shattered Gemstones".
- Kenny McKee
- Move of the Week Editor.
- Marc "Tytanious" Webb
- Featured Team Editor.
- Aaron Spriggs
- Irene Sarumi
- Adrienne Gyori
- Justin Vidal
- Brownkidd of "Albotas"
- Catie Lackovich and GeorgieBoy of Press Pause Radio
- Matt Kane of "Intrepid Audio"
- ↑ As shown in "Marketplace → Podcast" section of Zune software on October 23, 2012. Software is required to view list.
- ↑ "The Best Podcast in Social Media". Shorty Awards.