From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Ice Burn (Japanese: コールドフレア Cold Flare) is a damage-dealing Template:Type2 move introduced in Generation V. It is White Kyurem's signature move.
Ice Burn deals damage, has a 30% chance of burning the target.
Ice Burn does nothing on the turn it is selected, other than state that the user is charging. This charge turn can be skipped using a Power Herb. On the following turn, Ice Burn will deal damage, PP will be deducted from it, and it will count as the last move used. Once Ice Burn is selected, the user won't be able to switch out until it is disrupted or fully executed.
If Ice Burn is not fully executed, PP will not be deducted from it, and it will not count as the last move used. If the target uses Mirror Move during the turn that the user is charging, Mirror Move will copy the move that the user executed immediately before using Ice Burn (or fail if it can't).
Sleep, freeze, partial trapping, and flinching will pause but not disrupt the duration of Ice Burn.
If White Kyurem uses Ice Burn, the move will be executed immediately, and the charge turn will occur on the following turn instead.
|| On the second turn, an ultracold, freezing wind surrounds the target. This may leave the target with a burn.
Currently, no Pokémon is known to learn Ice Burn by TM, Move tutor or Level up. It has been revealed to be White Kyurem's signature move, but the method by which this move is learned is unknown.
- This move seems to draw reference to both Reshiram and Kyurem, as it is an Ice-type move and its side-effect are related to the Fire type. Furthermore, the animation for the actual attacking part is resembles that of Blue Flare, one of Reshiram's signature moves.
- Also, a move that is believed to be its polar opposite, Freeze Shock, seems to also draw reference to Kyurem's typing and Reshiram's polar opposite, Zekrom.
- This makes reference to White Kyurem and Black Kyurem as well.
- Along with Freeze Shock, Ice Burn has the highest base power of all Ice-type moves.
- Ice Burn is the only Ice-type move that is able to cause burn.
- The burn side-effect may be a reference to frostbite, which is similar to a burn.
In other languages