History of the Pokémon world
There are many stories and legends surrounding the history of the Pokémon world as it is known to us today. Nobody knows if such legends are true or not, but there are many clues in the games, anime and manga that suggest that they are.
Below is a timeline of events in the history of the Pokémon world, primarily those established in the canon of the Pokémon games since these apply most to other forms of canon. There is also a separate timeline of events for the Pokémon anime.
Beginning of the universe
- In a void of nothingness, a single egg comes into being, which then hatches into Arceus, the first Pokémon to be in existence. Arceus creates Dialga, Palkia, and possibly Giratina, which appeared among the two, and Arceus then gives Dialga and Palkia the abilities to control time and space. Giratina, for its violent behavior, is banished to another dimension. Then, during very early formation of the world, possibly sooner, Arceus creates Azelf, Uxie, and Mesprit to create willpower, knowledge, and emotion respectively, things that are in all modern humans and Pokémon. They dive to the bottom of present-day Lake Valor, Lake Acuity, and Lake Verity, respectively, dubbing the team "the lake trio". Around this time, Mew came into being by itself, containing the DNA of every Pokémon to exist and exist in the future.
- Groudon is formed deep inside the Earth, from magma, Kyogre is formed by the pressure in the deep sea trenches, and Rayquaza is formed by the minerals of the ozone layer. Rayquaza proceeds to fly around in the ozone layer, occasionally coming to rest at Sky Pillar. Groudon and Kyogre then proceed to create landmass and fill the sea, respectively. A chance meeting turns the two into rivals, and a conflict for dominance over the Earth begins. This battle continues until Rayquaza quells it, causing Groudon and Kyogre to retreat to special caverns, where they rest until the events of Generation III many years later. The Red and Blue Orbs are created to prevent the reawakening of Groudon and Kyogre, and are left at Mt. Pyre for safekeeping. At this time, Mew may have been plentiful and lived in large numbers.
- Landmasses such as Mt. Coronet are created, and Regigigas moves the continents, forming the regions. The Sinnoh region is created around Mt. Coronet. During this violent procedure, Stark Mountain is created and Heatran is formed in lava. Arceus creates the Adamant, Lustrous and Griseous Orbs before falling into a never-ending sleep.
This information is based primarily on the study of fossils and other archaeological remains. Some of this information is also based on scientific research.
- Millions of years before Generation I
- Earliest known prehistoric Pokémon exist. It is possible that the Mew population may have decreased at this stage, as they slowly gave way to other Pokémon species.
- First humans appeared.
- Stone Age
- Humans gather rocks from various locations and use them to create Regirock.
- Ice Age
- Iron Age
- Humans create Registeel. Some researchers believe that it was formed from a special kind of metal not of this planet.
- After the Iron Age
- 1500 years before Generation I
- The earliest known system for writing is developed and used at the Ruins of Alph, Tanoby Ruins, and Solaceon Ruins. Archaeologists are currently unsure whether the nearly identical Unown preceded or succeeded the writing system, but it is assumed they share some sort of connection.
- The Farfetch'd population decreases due to overhunting.
- Magikarp population mutates and becomes weaker.
This information is based on historic records.
- c. 700 years before Generation I
- c. 500 years before Generation I
- c. 400 years before Generation I
- c. 150 years before Generation I
From the Pokémon games:
- Some years prior to Generation I
- Mewtwo is genetically engineered from Mew, and later escapes and destroys Cinnabar Island's Pokémon Mansion.
- Sabrina's gym is declared the official gym of Saffron City after a Pokémon battle between Sabrina and the leader of the Fighting Dojo.
- Giratina returns to the Pokémon world.
- The Battle Frontiers open in Hoenn and Sinnoh.
- Generation I/Generation III: The events of Red, Blue, Yellow, FireRed, LeafGreen, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald.
- Red/Leaf leaves Pallet Town on his/her Pokémon journey after their rival, Professor Oak's grandson, Blue. After getting the eight badges of Kanto, defeating Team Rocket along the way, he/she challenges Kanto's Elite Four, then its current champion, none other than Blue himself. After defeating Blue, Red/Leaf becomes the champion, then ventures to the Sevii Islands to eradicate Team Rocket and help Celio to connect his Pokémon Net Center to the Hoenn region.
- Brendan/May leaves Littleroot Town on a Pokémon journey shortly after moving to the Hoenn region from Johto by saving the local Pokémon professor from an attacking wild Pokémon. At first, there is a deep-seated rivalry with Professor Birch's son/daughter, however, later on, the rivalry is with Wally instead. After defeating Hoenn's eight Gym Leaders and, with the help of Rayquaza, calming both Groudon and Kyogre, released from their banishment by Team Magma and Team Aqua, respectively, he/she challenges and defeats Hoenn's Elite Four and current champion, becoming the champion him/herself, much to the astonishment of Birch's child.
- Between Generation I/Generation III and Generation II/Generation IV.
- The events of Pokémon Colosseum.
- Viridian Forest is cut down, creating a clear path for trainers.
- Eruption of volcano on Cinnabar Island causes destruction of areas on the island.
- Koga abdicates his position as Fuchsia Gym Leader to his daughter, Janine, for a position among Kanto's Elite Four.
- Eventually, Red ends up at Mt. Silver, training day and night, and Lance ends up as the champion. Blue, dejected, takes the empty gym in Viridian City.
- Lorelei returns to her home in Four Island.
- Agatha retires from her position as a member of the Kanto Elite Four.
- Extensive research confirms the existence of Steel and Template:Type2s in the region of Kanto.
- Pewter Museum of Science is closed for renovations.
- Safari Zone Warden leaves on a trip, closing down the Kanto Safari Zone.
- Miracle Cycle moves from Cerulean City to Goldenrod City.
- Groudon and Kyogre retreat to the region of Fiore to rest after their battle.
- Giratina returns to the Distortion World.
- The events of Pokémon Ranger.
- Three years after Generation I/Generation III (during Generation II/Generation IV): The events of Gold, Silver, Crystal, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver.
- Gold/Kris/Soul leaves New Bark Town on an errand for Professor Elm, bonding with his/her starter Pokémon on the way. A red-haired boy steals one of Elm's three Pokémon, and challenges him/her as Gold/Kris/Soul's journey across Johto continues. A revived Team Rocket, using plans formulated three years prior, enrages many Gyarados, including a red one, at the Lake of Rage and as well takes over the Johto Radio Tower in a desperate attempt to contact Giovanni. As they are defeated, the leader vows to never again re-form Team Rocket, and Gold/Kris/Soul continues to gather Johto's badges, eventually gaining all eight and traveling to the Pokémon League at the Indigo Plateau in Kanto. After championing it, over a new Elite Four and its previous champion, Lance, Gold/Kris/Soul then heads to the Kanto region to challenge its eight gyms, which have changed from three years prior. After gaining all eight of their badges, for a total of sixteen, Professor Oak declares him/her ready to travel to Mt. Silver, deep in the caves of where he/she meets and defeats Red.
- The events of Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness.
- Lucas/Dawn and Pearl leave Twinleaf Town in an attempt to see a Pokémon like the recently reported red Gyarados in the nearest of Sinnoh's lakes, Lake Verity. After being attacked by a wild Starly at the lake, and using one of Professor Rowan's Pokémon to fend off the attacker, (However, in Platinum canon, the Pokémon are received before their journey to the lake) the journey begins in earnest, where both Lucas/Dawn and Pearl challenge the Sinnoh region's eight gyms to gain the badges necessary to challenge the Pokémon League. Along the way, however, Lucas/Dawn is brought into many conflicts with Team Galactic, whose leader, Cyrus, wishes to re-make the entire universe in his image with the powers of the legendary Pokémon Dialga and Palkia. Defeating the team and calming Dialga/Palkia, Lucas/Dawn challenges Sinnoh's Elite Four and champion, Cynthia, and becomes champion him/herself.
- Hayley, a friend of Bebe, opens up a Pokémon Ranch.
- Meteor strikes Earth, forming two Deoxys.
|This article is a stub. You can help Bulbapedia by .|