The gym caretaker is a character in the main series Pokémon games. The title actually belongs to at least four characters, each corresponding to a different region. In each case, the caretaker is usually found at the front of a Pokémon Gym, ready to offer tactical advice to novice Trainers.
- All of the caretakers before Generation IV were known for saying, "Yo! Champ-in-the-making!"
- The character only appears in the games, having not so much as a cameo in the anime or manga.
- Celadon Gym's caretaker is at the Rocket Game Corner playing the slots instead of at the gym.
- The fan-designated name "Jim Gai" (a pun on "gym guy") arose due to no one knowing the real name of this character.
- For some reason, the Petalburg Gym's caretaker disappears after you beat the gym.