From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
So far, there are only two notable Ground-type specialist Trainers: Giovanni of Viridian City and Bertha of the Sinnoh Elite Four.
Defensively, the Ground-type is mediocre. It is weak to Water, Grass and Ice, which are key attacking types. It resists Poison, a rare offensive type, and Rock. It is, however, immune to the Electric-type, posing a great advantage due to the minority of Pokémon resisting Electric-type moves that are not Electric-types themselves, and the lack of a 1/4 resistance to Electric even by Generation IV.
Offensively, the Ground-type is one of the three most important attacking types, together with Ice and Fighting. It is the only type super-effective against Electric, and is super-effective against five types in total; only the Fighting-type is as powerful as this. It is also super-effective against the best defensive type, Steel. Grass and Bug-type do resist Ground, but many of them lose their Ground resistance due to being part Poison. The greatest disadvantage of the Ground-type is that it does not affect the very common Flying-type at all, nor Pokémon with Levitate.
The Ground-type combines very well with the Ice-type, as Ice covers Grass and Flying, while Ground covers Rock, Steel and Fire. Ground and Rock also work very well together; Rock covers Ice and Flying while Ground covers Steel; as of Generation IV, only Claydol, Flygon, Breloom, Torterra, and Bronzong with Levitate resist both Rock and Ground. Most Ground-type Pokémon are able to learn Rock-type moves, possibly for that very purpose.
When used in contests, Ground-type moves typically become Tough moves. No Ground-type moves are Beauty moves, while they can be the other three types.
In total, there are 48 Pokémon with the Ground-type.
Pure Ground-type Pokémon
Half Ground-type Pokémon
Primary Ground-type Pokémon
Secondary Ground-type Pokémon
- The Template:Type2 is the only type not neutral to Ground that has not been combined with the Ground-type yet.
- Along with the Template:Type2, Ground-type moves are super-effective against the most types, with five.
- Each Generation has introduced at least one Ground-type Pokémon whose name begins with the letter G.
- Although Ground-type Pokémon are immune to Electric-type attacks, the ability Static still affects them.
- So far, all Pokemon that are pure ground-types with the exceptions of Trapinch and Groudon have at least one evolution.
In other languages
- Dutch: Grond
- French: Sol
- German: Boden
- Italian: Terra
- Korean: 땅 ttang
- Spanish: Tierra