From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
The Ground type (Japanese: じめんタイプ Ground type) is one of the seventeen elemental types. Notable Trainers that specialize in Ground-type Pokémon are Giovanni of Viridian City, Bertha of the Sinnoh Elite Four, and Clay of Driftveil City. Prior to Generation IV, where moves are designated physical or special based on the move itself rather than its type, all Ground-type moves were physical.
Defensively, the Ground type is somewhat risky. It is weak to the common types Water, Grass and Ice. It resists Poison, a type rarely used offensively, and Rock. It is, however, immune to the Electric-type, posing a great advantage due to the minority of Pokémon resisting Electric moves that are not Electric-type themselves, and the fact that as of Generation V, only Zekrom and Rotom's Mow Form have a ¼ resistance to Electric. This also renders them immune to the crippling Thunder Wave.
Offensively, the Ground type is one of the most powerful attacking attacking types, with others being Ice, Rock, and Fighting and Fire. It is the only type super-effective against Electric, and is super-effective against five types in total; only the Fighting type is as powerful as this. It is also super-effective against the best defensive type, Steel. Grass- and Bug-type Pokémon do resist Ground, but this is largely mitigated by the common Grass/Poison and Bug/Poison typing. This, combined with the fact that the highly damaging and popular Earthquake has been available as TM26 in every Generation, makes Ground a very potent type offensively.
The greatest disadvantage of the Ground type is that it does not affect the very common Flying-type Pokémon at all, nor Pokémon with Levitate.
When used in contests, Ground-type moves typically become Tough moves. No Ground-type moves are Beauty moves, while they can be the other three types.
As of Generation V, there are 59 Ground-type Pokémon or 6.09% of all Pokémon, making it the seventh most common elemental type.
Pure Ground-type Pokémon
Half Ground-type Pokémon
Primary Ground-type Pokémon
Secondary Ground-type Pokémon
- Along with the Template:Type2, Ground-type moves are super-effective against the most types: five.
- Each generation has introduced at least one Ground-type Pokémon whose English name begins with the letter G.
- Although Ground-type Pokémon are immune to Electric-type attacks, the ability Static still affects them.
- In the anime, Ground-type Pokémon's immunity to Electric-type attacks is treated inconsistently, sometimes upheld and sometimes ignored.
- All types that resist the Template:Type2 are weak to Ground, and vice versa; however, the type combinations Electric/Flying, Rock/Flying, and Steel/Flying still resist both due to the Flying-type's immunity to Ground moves.
- More Pokémon are immune to Ground-type moves than any other type, as both Flying Pokémon and Levitating Pokémon are immune to Ground.
- For each possible Ground-type Pokémon with a different subtype that nullifies its weakness to Grass, there is at least one Pokémon with that type combination.
In other languages