From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Ghetsis Harmonia (Japanese: ゲーチス・ハルモニア G-Cis Harmonia) is one of the Seven Sages, the leader of Team Plasma and the primary antagonist in Pokémon Black and White and its sequels.
In the games
Ghetsis first appears in Accumula Town trying to rally its citizens. After that, he appears at several points in the game trying to warn the citizens of the oncoming change and is often the one that comes to rescue other Seven Sages if they are nearing arrest. After the player and Alder come to the Relic Castle he is already there and tells them that if they are to battle N, they must retrieve the LightB/DarkW Stone. He also appears making a similar speech to his one in Accumula Town in Opelucid City. He later appears at the castle during N's takeover and taunts the player before battling N. After the player defeats N, he reveals he has been using N and revived ZekromB/ReshiramW for N to use, and calls N a disappointment. He reveals that his and Team Plasma's motive for stealing Pokémon was a lie all along and that Ghetsis wanted to ensure that he was the only person in Unova with Pokémon, so he could dominate the region (this was previously foreshadowed by him referring to himself during speeches referring to Team Plasma's goals before correcting himself and saying Team Plasma). According to a Grunt in the castle, he was even learning of ways to manipulate hearts of people. Alder and Cheren both hear the truth from Ghetsis. Ghetsis battles the player in a rage, despite N's protest. After the battle, Alder and Cheren arrest Ghetsis and take him away. He is not seen again in this game.
When the player meets the Shadow Triad for the final time, it is revealed that they rescued Ghetsis from captivity and that he is currently on the run. He has lost everything, including his Pokémon, and only the Shadow Triad are still loyal to him. For some reason, he has ordered the Shadow Triad to stop looking for him.
In Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Ghetsis turns out to be once again behind Team Plasma's activities. This version of Unova's villainous team is not attempting to release Pokémon, but instead take over Unova. He wants to freeze Unova so that Team Plasma can steal every Pokémon in the region. He has appointed Colress as the new official boss of Team Plasma and recruited Zinzolin to help him. After being defeated at the Giant Chasm he snaps and is escorted away by a member of the Shadow Triad. Later, in Icirrus City, the Shadow Triad reveal that Ghetsis has lost heart and is no longer capable of any further criminal deeds.
Pokémon Black and White
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
Pokémon Black and White
At Accumula Town
- "My name is Ghetsis. I am here representing Team Plasma. Today, ladies and gentlemen, I would like to talk to you about Pokémon liberation.
- "I'm sure most of you believe that we humans and Pokémon are partners that have come to live together because we want and need each other. However... Is that really the truth? Have you ever considered that perhaps we humans... only assume that this is the truth?
- "Pokémon are subject to the selfish commands of Trainers... They get pushed around when they are our "partners" at work... Can anyone say with confidence that there is no truth in what I'm saying?
- "Now, ladies and gentlemen, Pokémon are different from humans. They are living beings that contain unknown potential. They are living beings from whom we humans have much to learn. Tell me, what is our responsibility toward these wonderful beings called Pokémon?"
- "That's right! We must liberate the Pokémon! Then, and only then, will humans and Pokémon truly be equals. Everyone, I end my words here today by imploring you to consider the relationship between people and Pokémon... and the correct way to proceed. We sincerely appreciate your attention."
At Castelia City
- "My word, if it isn't the Gym Leader, Burgh."
- "Indeed... No matter. We already have an exceptional base of operations. Is everyone familiar with the legend of the founding of the Unova region?"
- "The truth is this... The black/white dragon appeared before a hero who sought the ideal/true way to knit together a world full of warring people. This black/white Dragon-type Pokémon shared its knowledge--and bared its fangs at those who stood against it. Together, the power of this Pokémon and the hero brought unity to the hearts of everyone in the land, and that is how Unova was created.
- "We shall bring back the hero and that Pokémon to Unova once again! If we can win people's hearts and minds, we can easily create the world that I--I mean, Team Plasma--desires!"
- "Myah-ha-ha-ha! You are quite hard to figure out--a little more intelligent than I'd expected. I am fond of intelligent people, you see. You'll enjoy hearing about this... From every corner of the world, I have gathered knowledgeable people for our king's benefit. You could call them the Seven Sages. Very well! We will submit to your opinion and be on our way.
- "That girl over there... Return her Pokémon!"
- "The friendship between Pokémon and people can be very touching. But, in order to liberate Pokémon from foolish people, we will revive the legend of Unova--and win the hearts and minds of everyone. Farewell..."
At Driftveil City
- "Clay. It's a pleasure to meet you. I am Ghetsis, of Team Plasma. I've come to pick up my associates who are in your care."
- "What's this? It seems as if there has been some misunderstanding. We only free Pokémon from wicked people."
- "Team Plasma also has an interest in Driftveil City. And we have many, many more members besides those who are here..."
- "A decision worthy of a businessman called the Miner King. Your grasp of the situation is outstanding. Well then, we will be taking our colleagues off your hands..."
- "Don't worry, my fellow servant of the king... We are two of the Seven Sages, are we not? Well then, everyone, I expect that we will meet again somewhere."
In Relic Castle
- "It looks like everyone is here. It seems you are working hard to resurrect ReshiramB/ZekromW, the other Dragon-type Pokémon, aren't you? But it appears the Light StoneB/Dark StoneW you seek is not here.
- "Well then, congratulations are in order! <Player>, you were chosen by our king. If you truly desire to keep the world as it is, where Pokémon live alongside people, you must bring the other Dragon-type Pokémon spoken of in legend and battle with our king. Otherwise, Team Plasma will steal every Pokémon from every person in the world and release them all!"
- "What's this? Champion Alder, even though illness took the Pokémon that had been your partner for many years, and you haven't had a serious battle in all that time... Even you, who ordered the Elite Four to protect the Pokémon League and left to wander the Unova region alone... Even a Champion like you now wants to protect a world where Pokémon and people live together? Team Plasma's king will show the people of Unova that he is stronger than a Champion who keeps Pokémon bound! And just like the hero who founded Unova, he will be accompanied by the legendary Pokémon. He will give this order! 'Trainers, release your Pokémon!' For this, we have prepared a suitable castle for the legendary ZekromB/ReshiramW and our king!"
- "Our king has no interest in you. He has already determined that victory against you is assured."
- "Of course not. I'm doing this out of kindness. Yes, kindness. I'm making sure the Champion doesn't get hurt for no reason. Granted, the moment when someone loses all hope... I really do love to watch that moment. Well then, farewell."
At the Tubeline Bridge
- "Excellent. It seems that you have obtained the Light StoneB/Dark StoneW. I congratulate you on a job well done.
- "It is my lord N's thought that the two holders of the legendary Pokémon should put their beliefs on the line and strive to find which is the true hero.
- "This is not necessary, however. From his infancy, I provided him with the education required to become the hero of legend. Indeed, he has been so acknowledged by the legendary Pokémon. ...Such purity of purpose is his.
- "The liberation of Pokémon of which I... Of which Team Plasma speaks is the separation of Pokémon from foolish people! That's the truth! All Trainers will become helpless to resist us! We alone will be able to use Pokémon!
- "The preparations are complete!
- "When my perfect plan is set in motion, first a few gullible Pokémon Trainers who are unable to resist Team Plasma will release their Pokémon. Then that number will become a hundred, then a thousand... In no time, even the Gym Leaders and the Champion will become unable to fight us. Having a Pokémon will be considered a bad thing! Even people like the sad little Bianca, whose Pokémon was stolen in Castelia, will be unable to face public opinion and will release their Pokémon! That's the kind of world we'll make!
- "You may have the Stone, but there's no chance whatsoever that the legendary Pokémon will accept you as the hero. So, if you're not willing to hand over your precious Pokémon, I suggest you search for some courage-- because you're going to need it!"
At Opelucid City
- "That's correct! Our lord N has combined his power with the legendary Dragon-type Pokémon and intends to create a new world. We herald the return of the hero of Unova, founder of this region.
- "Pokémon are different from people. They are living beings who contain unknown potential.
- "They are living beings from whom we humans have much to learn.
- "They are beings whose greatness we should acknowledge! Beings who should be freed from our oppression!
- "We, Team Plasma, invite you to join us! We all want to create a new world where people and Pokémon are both free! Ladies and gentlemen, I ask you now... Please, release your Pokémon. And so I end my plea to you today. Thank you one and all for your attention."
At N's Castle
- "Welcome, holder of the Light StoneB/Dark StoneW."
- "The castle that appeared as if it were enveloping the Pokémon League is a symbol. It means Unova will change."
- "The king of this castle is the strongest Trainer in the world. He is accompanied by the legendary Pokémon. He has defeated the Champion. Added to all that, his heart burns with the desire to improve the world. If that's not what makes a hero, what more do you need?"
- "Now that the stage is set, we can seize people's minds and hearts. We can bring into being the world that I--no, that Team Plasma--desires more easily than you can imagine! We and only we will use Pokémon, and we shall rule the powerless populace!"
- "I've been waiting so long for this! I've kept my silence so no one could piece together what I planned. Now, those painful days are at an end!"
- "Go! Onward!"
- "Discover whether you have what it takes to be a hero!"
- "Go! Holder of the Light StoneB/Dark StoneW! In this room, you can learn whether you, too, can be a hero!"
- "After all of that, do you think you're still worthy of sharing the name Harmonia with me? You good-for-nothing boy!"
- "To start with, I spurred N into pursuing idealsB/the truthW. The reason we reawakened the legendary Pokémon now was to give MY Team Plasma more power! Power to control the fearful masses! That at least was well done."
- "After saying you had to put your beliefs on the line and battle to see which one chosen by the legendary Pokémon was the true hero... You lost to an ordinary Trainer! There is such a thing as being too stupid! Add it up, and you are nothing more than a warped, defective boy who knows nothing but Pokémon..."
- "<Player>! I never would have thought the legendary Pokémon would choose a Trainer like you! It caught me completely off guard."
- "This doesn't change my goal. My plans have not been disturbed! In order to rule this world utterly, in order to manipulate the hearts of people who know nothing, I will have N be the king of Team Plasma. But, for that to work, you-- since you know the truth-- You must be eliminated!"
- "That was just a convenient lie that I needed to create Team Plasma. Use your head. What's to be gained from letting go of useful things like Pokémon? Certainly, manipulating Pokémon helps people expand their possibilities. That much, I can agree with. So it naturally follows that only I should be able to use Pokémon!"
- "You can say whatever you want. A Pokémon, even if it's revered as a deity, is still just a Pokémon. <Player>, so what if it chose you! That doesn't mean you're a threat. Come on! Now you'll face ME in battle! I can't wait to see the look on your face when you've lost all hope!"
- "I won't allow anyone to stop me! No matter who does what!"
- After first move of battle
- "I was expecting exactly that kind of move!"
- When last Pokémon is at critical health
- "What is going on here?"
- "My calculations... No! My careful schemes! The world should be mine!"
- "What?! I created Team Plasma with my own hands. I'm absolutely perfect! I AM PERFECTION! I am the perfect ruler of a perfect new world!"
- "Mwa ha ha! Since I couldn't become the hero and obtain the legendary Pokémon myself... I prepared someone for that purpose--N! He's nothing more than a freak without a human heart. Do you think you're going to get through to a warped person like that?!"
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
At Giant Chasm
- Upon encounter in his office
- "That blasted Colress!" (turns to the player and slams his cane) "The fool is far too committed to pure science. This is how he repays me for making him the boss of Team Plasma? How dare he put his personal intellectual curiosity before our ultimate mission of conquering Unova!" (steps right) "How fortunate for you! Few get to be the sole audience member for one of my speeches." (steps forward) "Team Plasma will use its knowledge and technology to take Kyurem's true power to its absolute limit and freeze the Unova region. The terrified people and Pokémon will bow at Team Plasma's...no...at MY feet!" (walks closer and slams his cane) "Kyurem is an empty being. The remnants of a certain Pokémon when it split into Reshiram and Zekrom... My desire is absolute rule of Unova!" (walks closer) "That's right! Kyurem will be the vessel into which my desires will be poured!"
- (to a Shadow Triad member) "It's finally here! The wonderful era in which I am the absolute ruler of Unova has finally arrived! I'll let you take care of this!"
- Upon encounter in the cave
- "The Giant Chasm! This is the spot where Kyurem's power resonates. Here, Kyurem can use the full extent of its power and easily cover all of Unova in ice!" (slams his cane) "Kyurem, come!"
- "I have a memory that has continued to haunt me. Just one. That unpleasant look in your eyes reminds me of it. That aside, this is my gift to you to show my respect for making it this far. I'll freeze you solid right here so you can watch my glorious ascent!" (slams his cane) "Kyurem! Glaciate!"
- After Kyurem's attack is destroyed
- "So you came... The freak without a human heart...N!"
- "Excellent! That was a moving expression of your determination! So the education I provided to make you king wasn't a complete waste, then! But I still haven't forgotten that even though I was kind enough to find you when you were living in the forest with Pokémon, and take you in, and care for you, in the end you were selfish and disrupted my plans. I was supposed to use your abilities to rule Unova!"
- "But I'll forgive you for that as well. ZekromB2/ReshiramW2, which you were kind enough to bring with you, can shatterB2/meltW2 ice! Now you've saved me the work of searching for it! Well, actually, I knew you'd appear if we fired ice missiles into Opelucid City and you noticed the change!"
- After ZekromB2/ReshiramW2 reverts into its stone
- "Kyurem! Absorb ZekromB2/ReshiramW2! Use Absofusion!"
- After Kyurem and ZekromB2/ReshiramW2 are fused
- "You fool... Last time, I was going to use you to capture people's hearts and minds to rule them! But this time, I'm simply going to use overwhelming power and rule with an iron fist! Do you understand? If you had simply become king, Unova would have remained beautiful!"
- "Come now, Trainer. This time no one will save you! But to make things interesting, I'll give you a chance. Let's see if you can stop THIS Kyurem!" (looks questioned)
- "What's this? Your Poké Balls are trembling. Could your Pokémon be shaking with rage?" (slams his cane) "No! That's not possible! Simple tools don't have emotion or thought! Come! Challenge Kyurem! Just so you know, catching it is impossible! My cane emits signals that disrupt the function of all Poké Balls!"
- Before Kyurem is defeated
- "Come now! I want to see your face at the moment you lose all hope! Battle to protect Unova! I've prepared the finest stage, and it's wasted on a bit player like you! Lose and go down in flames!"
- "I can't believe it! The BlackB2/WhiteW2 Kyurem I went to all the trouble of preparing! How irritating! Now I have to go recapture Kyurem, don't I? But first, I'll take down this disgusting Trainer with my own hand! This time I WILL succeed! No matter what they try, no one will be able to stop me!"
- Upon first non-KO HP loss
- "I was expecting exactly that kind of move!"
- Last Pokémon at critical health
- "What's this?! This is nothing like I expected!"
- "Could it be?! My plans for complete and total world domination foiled yet again? No! It mustn't be! I couldn't have been defeated by some random Trainer from who knows where!"
- (steps back) "How can this be? I'm the creator of Team Plasma! I'm perfect! I'm the absolute ruler who will change the world! And I've lost to some unknown Trainer not once, but TWICE?!" (paces, then turns to N) "I can't accept this! This isn't possible! I can't be bested by fools who can't even use Pokémon correctly!"
- (turns away) "Shut your mouth! Shut up! Shut up! Shut UP! Don't talk like a person, you freak! No real person could talk to Pokémon!"
|| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Missing B2W2 overworld sprite without cane.
In the anime
Conducting the Ceremony of Revival
Ghetsis is the head of Team Plasma, and the main antagonist of the Best Wishes! Season 2: Episode N arc. He made his debut in Team Plasma's Pokémon Power Plot!, where he was seen briefly contacting Colress via a hologram communicator. He and Colress discussed the current status of the Pokémon control experiment, and when Ash, his friends and Looker approached Team Plasma's laboratory, Ghetsis ordered Colress to turn the experimental Pokémon loose on them.
He appeared again, this time in person, in Team Plasma's Pokémon Manipulation!. He was seen contacting Colress for an update on his Pokémon control experiment. Later, he spoke to several Team Plasma Grunts, who were spying on the excavations made at the White Ruins as well as looking for N and conducting the mysterious "Project G" and "Project F."
Ghetsis appeared in Secrets From Out of the Fog! discussing his plans with Colress and Angie. He also was seen in flashbacks to N's past, in which he raised N alongside Anthea and Concordia and wild Pokémon. In a later flashback, a ceremony he led in N's Castle involving N and the Seven Sages was interrupted by Reshiram, infuriating him.
He also had a brief appearance in Meowth, Colress and Team Rivalry!, meeting with Colress, Angie and Brad via hologram and revealing the existence of the Light Stone to them.
He appeared briefly via a communicator BW120 before arriving at the White Ruins in BW121. With his followers having subdued Team Plasma's enemies, Ghetsis took the Light Stone and placed it on a pedestal in the ruins, then used his staff to initiate the ritual leading to Reshiram's awakening.
Ghetsis appeared in BW122, where, with the help of Colress's machine, he took control of Reshiram. Despite turning it on his enemies, however, he lost control of Reshiram when Colress's machine was destroyed. Ultimately, he was arrested by Looker along with the rest of his followers.
| Ghetsis took control of Reshiram with the help of Colress's machine after awakening it at the White Ruins. However, after Colress's machine was destroyed, he lost control of it.
Reshiram's known moves are Fusion Flare and Blue Flare.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Ghetsis in Pokémon Adventures
Ghetsis makes his first appearance in Accumula Town, where he introduces Team Plasma and their campaign to the townspeople. He gives a speech asking the townspeople to free their Pokémon so that they can be truly equal to them. Although some were not swayed by his words, Ghetsis did manage to convince some of the townspeople to release their Pokémon into the wild.
During the attack on Nacrene City for the Dark Stone, Ghetsis had a Plasma Grunt trick Black into revealing where it was kept hidden. After reaching the room, Ghetsis attacked Black and paralyzed him with his Eelektross. With the Dark Stone now in his possession, Ghetsis delivers the stone to N so that he can awaken the legendary Pokémon Zekrom.
When Team Plasma attacks the Pokémon League, Ghetsis uses Hawes as hostage to prevent Brycen from freeing the kidnapped Gym Leaders. He puts Brycen and the other Gym Leaders on crucifixes to taunt Black and others. Black attempts to retaliate, but his entire team is easily defeated by Ghetsis's Hydreigon. When no one is able to stop Team Plasma, several Trainers that Black met on his journey offer to help combat Ghetsis and the other Sages so that Black can move on.
| Eelektross is Ghetsis's first known Pokémon. It was first used by Ghetsis to attack and stun Black so that the Dark Stone could be easily taken from Nacrene Museum.
None of Eelektross's moves are known.
| Hydreigon is Ghetsis's second known Pokémon. It was used by Ghetsis to fly to the Dragonspiral Tower so that he could meet and give the Dark Stone to N. It is shown to be very powerful, as it was able to easily defeat Black's entire team in a short amount of time.
None of Hydreigon's moves are known.
In the Pocket Monsters BW manga
Ghetsis makes an appearance in Pocket Monsters BW where he is discussing plans with a Team Plasma member on what to do with the Pokémon being released. Clefairy disguises himself as a ninja and listens in.
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Ghetsis in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
Ghetsis's right arm in the Black and White opening
- The top of Ghetsis's robes in Black and White resemble the battlements of a castle.
- Ghetsis is the only villainous team leader in the main games that uses a pseudo-legendary Pokémon.
- Ghetsis is 2.00 m (6'6") tall.
- Ghetsis is the only Trainer fought in the main story's final battle that is not the regional Champion.
- In Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Ghetsis is the first antagonist in the main series games to try to incapacitate the player. He attempts to have Kyurem freeze the player with Glaciate, but that move cannot cause freezing when used in battle. Before the English releases of Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, this threat was mistranslated by various sources as a threat to kill and impale them using Kyurem's icicles.
- In Black 2 and White 2, all of Ghetsis's Pokémon he also had in Black and White are two levels lower in Normal Mode and six levels lower in Easy Mode. However, they are two levels higher in Challenge Mode.
- Ghetsis's right arm is always concealed, except for in Pokémon Black and White's opening, in which it appears discolored.
- Ghetsis is the only villainous team leader in the anime to be arrested successfully at the conclusion of his plot.
|| ゲーチス G-Cis
|| From "G" and "Cis" (C♯), the pitches of the timpanis used in his battle theme. The combination of "G" and "Cis" is a tritone, previously referred to as Diabolus in Musica (The Devil in the Music) in the 18th century. Could also be romanized as Goetis, derived from Goetia, Greek for "sorcery".
||Romanization of Japanese name
||Romanization of Japanese name
||Romanization of Japanese name drawing directly from its etymology
||Romanization of Japanese name
||Romanization of Japanese name
||Transliteration of Japanese name
|| ハルモニア Harmonia
|| Latin for "harmony"
|| Same as Japanese name
|| From armonía, harmony.
|| 하르모니아 Hareumonia
|| Transliteration of Japanese and English name