From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
(Japanese: フリーズボルト Freeze Bolt) is a damage-dealing Template:Type2 move introduced in Generation V. It is speculated to be one of Kyurem's signature moves.
Freeze Bolt deals damage, has a 30% chance of paralyzing the target.
Freeze Bolt does nothing on the turn it is selected, other than state that the user is charging. This charge turn can be skipped using a Power Herb. On the following turn, Freeze Bolt will deal damage, PP will be deducted from it, and it will count as the last move used. Once Freeze Bolt is selected, the user won't be able to switch out until it is disrupted or fully executed.
If Freeze Bolt is not fully executed, PP will not be deducted from it, and it will not count as the last move used. If the target uses Mirror Move during the turn that the user is charging, Mirror Move will copy the move that the user executed immediately before using Freeze Bolt (or fail if it can't).
Sleep, freeze, partial trapping, and flinching will pause but not disrupt the duration of Freeze Bolt.
Currently, no Pokémon is known to learn Freeze Bolt by TM,Move Tutor or level up,although it is likely to be Kyurem's signature move.
- This move seems to draw reference to both Zekrom and Kyurem, as it is Ice-type and its name and side-effect are related to the Electric type.
- Also, a move that is believed to be its polar opposite, Cold Flare, seems to also draw reference to Kyurem's typing and Zekrom's polar opposite, Reshiram.
- Furthermore, the animation for the actual attacking part is very similar to that of Lightning Strike.
- Along with Cold Flare, Freeze Bolt has the highest base power of all Ice-type moves.
- Freeze Bolt is the only Ice-type move able to cause paralysis.
In other languages
Template:Project MoveDex notice