From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Notable Trainers that specialize in the Flying type include Falkner of Violet City and Winona of Fortree City, both being Gym Leaders.
Prior to Generation V, this type was the only one of the seventeen that is never seen as a pure type; Torunerosu is the first pure Flying-type. Each other type, besides the Template:Type2, has also been paired with the Flying type on at least one Pokémon.
Defensively, the Flying type is useful for its immunity to the common Template:Type2 move Earthquake and its resistance to Fighting. However, the Flying type's weaknesses aren't uncommon and can often offset the benefits of immunity to Ground, especially due to many dual-type Rock/Ground Pokémon. However, most Flying-types have access to Roost, allowing them to restore their health. Flying-types usually have below average defense stats, making them vulnerable to most physical attacks, super effective or not.
Offensively, Flying-type moves are usually only useful when benefited by same-type attack bonus and for their strength against Template:Type2. The types Flying is super effective against aren't common. In their favor though, most fully evolved Flying-types have above-average Attack and Speed stats. However, having below average Special Attack makes such moves as Air Cutter and Air Slash almost useless, unless used by Flying-type outliers with high Special Attack such as Togekiss or Yanmega.
When used in Contests, Flying-type moves typically become Cool moves, but can also be of the other four Contest types, excluding Tough.
In total, there are 83/649 Pokémon with the Flying type.
Pure Flying-type Pokémon
Half Flying-type Pokémon
Primary Flying-type Pokémon
Secondary Flying-type Pokémon
- Flying is the only type whose immunity can be canceled by an item, the Iron Ball, instead of only via a move.
- The Flying type has been paired with every other type, except the Template:Type2.
- Although Normal is not typically paired up with other types, it is the most common type paired with Flying.
- At least two Normal/Flying evolutionary lines and at least one Water/Flying Pokémon have been introduced in every generation so far.
- Strangely, all types that resist Flying (Electric, Rock and Steel) are weak to Ground and all types that resist Ground ( Bug and Grass) are weak to Flying.
- With the introduction of Shaymin's Sky Forme, each generation has introduced at least one part-Flying legendary Pokémon.
- There has been a Flying-type Pokémon introduced in every generation whose name begins with the letters M and S.
- For each possible type combination with a double weakness to Flying there is at least one Pokémon with that type combination. Bug/Grass consist of two Pokémon in the same line and Wormadam Plant Cloak, while Grass/Fighting and Bug/Fighting consist of two single Pokémon respectively.
- Several Flying-type moves have nothing to do with the action of flying. Several of them are actually based on what birds can do.
In other languages
- Chinese: 飛行 fēixíng
- Dutch: Vliegend
- Finnish: Lento
- French: Vol
- German: Flug
- Hebrew: מעופף meofef
- Italian: Volante
- Japanese: ひこう (飛行) hikou
- Korean: 비행 bihaeng
- Polish: Latający
- Portuguese (Brazilian): Voador
- Russian: Летающий letayuschii
- Spanish: Volador