Difference between revisions of "Emma"
(→Mimi: It appears that Flauschi is an actual german word, but I didn't add cause "flat ski" has nothing to do with it.)
|Line 643:||Line 643:|
| From ''peluche'', teddy bear.
Revision as of 23:45, 6 March 2014
|Spoiler warning: this article may contain major plot or ending details.|
| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Japanese names of the exclusive Trainer classes.
Model from Pokémon X and Y
|Relatives||Looker (guardian, formerly)|
|Trainer class|| Suspicious Woman*|
|Games||X and Y|
Emma (Japanese: マチエール Matiere) is a character introduced in Pokémon X and Y who played a major role in the post-game side story with Looker in Lumiose City. She is the only character in the games to have the Trainer classes Suspicious Woman, Suspicious Child, and Suspicious Lady.
- 1 In the games
- 1.1 Pokémon
- 1.2 Quotes
- 2 Names
In the games
In X and Y, Emma is a young girl living in the dark alleyways of Lumiose City with her Espurr friend, Mimi (Japanese: もこお Mokō). She is initially an illiterate orphan who doesn't even have enough money to buy Poké Balls. She meets Looker and the player during their first case, where concerned mothers reported that their children have been hanging out in suspicious alleyways. In reality, the children were playing with and protecting Emma and Mimi. Looker invites Emma to live at the Looker Bureau and work as his assistant. Though she is interested, Emma doesn't want to leave Mimi behind. Looker extends the invitation to Mimi as well, but Mimi is terrified of adults and runs off. After the player has found and befriended Mimi, Emma is much friendlier towards Looker and accepts his invitation, heading back to the Looker Bureau with him, Mimi, and the player. Emma then begins to learn how to read, write, and do basic arithmetic under Looker's tutelage.
During the following case, Emma returns to the Bureau to find a hysterical Tourist angrily shouting insults in Japanese (English in non-English languages) about Looker, who had left moments ago under the assumption that the woman wanted tea. Speaking Japanese (English in non-English languages), Emma defends Looker while Mimi translates their conversation telepathically for the player and Looker, revealing that the woman had her Pokémon stolen at the Lumiose Station. When Looker returns and learns of the situation, Emma tries to discourage him from helping the woman, but Looker insists that anyone in distress deserves their help and quickly leaves for the station. Emma then begs for the player to help Looker, revealing that he is defenseless because his only Pokémon died during a past case.
The culprits at the station turn out to be the Lumiose Gang, a trio of gangsters, who stole the Pokémon in order to lure Looker to their turf for a challenge. Emma had unintentionally become their boss after beating them in a fight, and they recognized her strength as leadership, but she stopped hanging around them once she took up residence at the Looker Bureau. Once the gangsters are defeated by the player, Emma shows up and demands that they return the stolen Pokémon and apologize to Looker.
Emma steadily grows worried that she and Mimi are a financial burden on Looker, though he assures her that they have enough money to get by and encourages her to focus on her studies. Still feeling guilty, Emma sets off to look for part-time work at a café that she saw was hiring. It turns out that the café was actually Lysandre Café and Emma was tricked into being a test subject for Xerosic's invention, the Expansion Suit. This leads to her disappearing for long stretches of time, which worries Looker greatly.
When in the Expansion Suit, Emma is given the codename Essentia (Japanese: エスプリ Esprit). The suit enhances her physical abilities to superhuman levels, gives her the ability to override a Poké Ball's programming, and allows her to change her appearance. While running his tests, Xerosic finds that Emma has no experience as a Trainer and teaches her the basics, also allowing her to borrow his Pokémon. However, the Pokémon prefer playing with Emma instead of battling, which forces Xerosic to control the suit remotely. Emma falls unconscious while the remote-control function is engaged, and she has no memory of anything that happens while she is "asleep".
During her tests as Essentia, she behaves like a robot and follows Xerosic's every command. The first test has her sneak into the Lumiose Museum and vandalize a painting. Afterwards, she begins lurking in dark alleys and challenging unsuspecting people to battle, stealing their Poké Balls afterwards. This catches the attention of Looker, who works with the player to bait and catch the perpetrator. When she gets cornered, Mimi runs in, tipping Looker off to Essentia's true identity. Xerosic's control over the suit starts to malfunction after Essentia tries to attack Mimi, only to accidentally hurt Looker. Essentia flees the scene and the tests are temporarily suspended.
The following day, the player is sent to apprehend Xerosic at Lysandre Labs. After the player defeats Essentia in a series of battles, Looker arrives and demands that Xerosic release Emma. After the suit's remote-control function starts glitching again, Xerosic agrees, letting Emma go and allowing Looker to take him into custody.
After Xerosic is brought to justice, Looker reveals to Emma that he is a member of the International Police and that he must leave to continue his civic duty. However, he feels strongly towards Emma and in order to ensure that she has a bright future, purchases the entire building where Looker Bureau was located, and instructs Emma to use it however she sees fit. As the new head detective, Emma vows to keep Lumiose City safe with her identity as Essentia, using the suit and Pokémon that Xerosic gave her.
After completing the Looker storyline, the player can have a rematch with Emma in her Expansion Suit once per day on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. On Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday, she will not be wearing the Expansion Suit and talk about her duties as the head of the Looker Bureau.
During her time as Essentia, she used Xerosic's Pokémon. After he was arrested however, he left his Pokémon in her care.
Looker Bureau rematch
- First meeting
- "Yup, old man, you got that right."
- "Oh, nobody special. But this little sweetie right here is Mimi. That's what I named it, anyway."
- "Huh? What Poké Ball?"
- "I'm not a Trainer! Mimi is my friend. I have no money to buy Poké Balls, so I can't be a Trainer, you get it? Anyway, Mimi and I don't need a Poké Ball to be friends!"
- "Well, we're all playing, that's all. Everybody here is a friend of mine. What are you asking for? Do you want to join or something?"
- "Oh, put a sock in it! Play nice, both of you. How would you like to get left out just 'cause you're old and stuff?"
- "Oh, really? Well... Mimi and I have always lived in alleys, so I don't know much about sunshine."
- "They're gone. I'm alone."
- "Well, but... But Mimi is sort of my family. We stick together."
- "Mimi gets scared pretty easy. Afraid of humans, I guess. Especially grown-ups. Hey... Mr. Looker-guy... For a minute there, I was kinda happy that you invited me to stay with you... You're pretty cool. But I can't. Mimi likes it better here. I can't leave Mimi behind. We stick together."
- If talked to during the assignment
- "Umm... <player>? If you wanna make friends with Mimi, you're gonna have to track it down first. There's, like, tons of alleys in Lumiose City. Mimi wanders all over them on its strolls. If you find it, try talking to it... Or do something to make Mimi like you."
- After finding Mimi
- "Awesome! <Player>, are you wicked or what? How'd you get Mimi to like you so fast?"
- "OK! I'm ready! As long as Mimi's with me! ♪ I'm pretty curious to find out what a detective does!"
- "Wow... So this is the Looker Bureau? It's sure warmer than the alley. This is gonna be great, huh, Mimi?"
- "Who, me? I'm just Emma. Nice to meet you! ♪"
- Between the first and second case
- "Oh, hi, <player>! Did you ever go to school? School is a place where they teach you all kinds of things, so I heard. Guess what? I told Mr. Looker I'd never gone to school, and he said he'd teach me himself!"
- During the second case
- "Oh! <player>! Welcome back! Is Mr. Looker out? And who's this old lady?"
- " "
- " "
- "Hmm.... If we keep going like this, then <player> is gonna be totally lost... And I don't feel like opening up the trash talk with this old lady again... Hey, Mimi! How about it? Do you think you can help us out with your power?"
- " "
- " "
- "Um, Mr. Looker? This old lady here says that her Pokémon were stolen. I'd guess the thieves are still in Lumiose Station..."
- "Just a minute, Mr. Looker."
- "I'd bet anything that the guy who stole this old lady's Pokémon was part of the Lumiose Gang. They're rough types, you know? If we stick our noses in, that means a battle for sure..."
- "Yeah. So let's drop it, OK? You know, that old lady was talking trash about you while you were out. She ain't nice. It's not worth having a great big fight to help a person like her."
- "Mr. L-L-Looker... ... ... ... <player>, help Mr. Looker! Please! He doesn't even have a Pokémon! H-he once said something... A long time ago, he had a Pokémon. A partner that was always with him... But... They were on a case...and...and...I don't know what happened, but... his partner didn't make it... If he tries to stand up to the Lumiose Gang without a single Pokémon on his side, he doesn't have a chance! Oh, please! Oh, please. Go help him! You're his partner now, aren't you? Don't let him go alone!
- Yes: "Oh, <player>. Thank... you... The Lumiose Gang is always somewhere on the platforms at Lumiose Station, up on North Boulevard... I think you're powerful enough to face them, <player>... But be ready for anything! Just in case!"
- After defeating the Lumiose Gang
- "Stop it, all of you!"
- "Stop it! I mean it! And return those stolen Pokémon!"
- "Oh, put a sock in it! I said up front--don't count me in. You went ahead and called me boss without even asking what I wanted. I decide for myself! Now, back off before I really lose it!"
- "Right. Well, enough said. I'll let it go this time, but... You need to say sorry to the lady you stole from. And to Mr. Looker, too!"
- "Mr. L-L-Looker..."
- "Mr. Looker... I'm really sorry about what happened earlier... When that woman insulted you, I just saw red and I... I..."
- "Oh, it's just silly. I wasn't in the gang for real! I had a big fight with them one time, and after I took them down, they figured I was their boss. It was all their idea, not mine!"
- "Hey, Mr. Looker?"
- "Mr. Looker... You said there is no substitute for honest work if you want to make a difference in this world. But I don't do any work at all... You asked me to be your assistant. But I've never done any work the whole time I've been staying here. All I've done is learn things from you... Is that really enough? Is it really OK for me to be here?"
- "But, Mr. Looker... We're always here in the Looker Bureau. And there's almost never any clients! Are Mimi and I just getting in your way? I mean, you went and turned down taking money from that tourist lady. Be straight with me, Mr. Looker. I'm asking, really, if it's really OK for Mimi and I to stay here...moneywise?"
- After the case
- "Hey, Mimi..."
- "Mr. Looker said we didn't need to worry about anything, y'know? But I just don't feel like we can keep depending on him like this forever. He lets us stay here for free and pays for all the food we eat..."
- "So I think I need to do something."
- "Thanks to Mr. Looker, I can read now, right? And I've seen signs around town for part-time work."
- "The signs say it's easy work and anyone can learn it. Maybe even I can do it, then! I'm going over there right now to ask them for a job! What do you think, Mimi?"
- "Hee hee hee, really?"
- As Suspicious Woman ???
- "Excuse me... Are you perhaps a Trainer? If you have a moment, how about a little battle with me?"
- Yes: "I am just itching for a good battle... Let us begin at once!"
- When defeated
- "How wonderfully strong!"
- After the battle
- "Oh ho ho! You have some wonderfully strong Pokémon. I wonder, young lady, if you wouldn't consider... giving them all to me!"
- "OBSTRUCTION DETECTED. PROCESS JEOPARDIZED. RELOCATE HUNTING GROUND."
- As Suspicious Child ???
- "Hiya! You're a Trainer, right? How about a Pokémon battle?"
- Yes: "I can't wait to see which Pokémon you use! Let's have a great battle!"
- When defeated
- "Tee hee hee hee..."
- After the battle
- "Wow, Miss Trainer, your Pokémon are super strong! They're so awesome. I sure wish I had Pokémon like that. I could really do well with those Pokémon. In fact... Hand them over right now."
- "RECURRENT INTERFERENCE."
- As Suspicious Lady ???
- "Welcome, welcome. Step right up. I didn't expect you to show. But here you are. Heh heh heh... Let's get into it."
- Yes: "Heh heh heh... That's right! No running away! Let's start!"
- When defeated
- "Mmm... Wonderful... I want that Poké Ball..."
- After the battle
- "You really do have some of the best Pokémon... So why not give up already and hand them over to me?"
- "RELINQUISH EVERY POKÉMON YOU POSSESS. COOPERATE OR I WILL TAKE THEM BY FORCE."
- "DO NOT OBSTRUCT ME. I WILL ERADICATE YOU."
- "THIS CREATURE... I DO NOT UNDERSTAND ITS PROCESS."
- "OBSTRUCTION... ERADICATE OBSTRUCTION."
- "WHY DO YOU PROTECT THIS POKÉMON? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS PROCESS. IRRELEVANT. COMMENCE ERADICATION PROCEDURE..."
- "I AM NOT EMMA. I AM ESSENTIA."
- "... ... ...Ugh!"
- Holo Caster
- "Um... Hello? <player>? Er, it's me...Emma. I received this Holo Caster thing, so I thought I'd try sending a message. I hope it reaches you. I have something I want to ask you, so please come to the Looker Bureau when you have time."
- After arriving
- "Oh! You actually showed up! Hey, <player>, I was hoping to find Mr. Looker. I've been so busy lately that I'm hardly ever here anymore. Do you have any idea where he is?"
- "Wha...? He's in the hospital?! What's wrong with him? Now I'm even more worried than before! B-but... I'd need to get more money to get to the hospital..."
- "Ah! Is that the time?! I'm gonna be late! I gotta go, Mimi! We'll talk later, <player>!"
- Before the first battle
- "POKÉ BALL JACK FUNCTION INITIATED. VIRUS POTENCY SET TO 60 PERCENT."
- Before the second battle
- "POKÉ BALL JACK FUNCTION INITIATED. VIRUS POTENCY SET TO 70 PERCENT."
- Before the third battle
- "POKÉ BALL JACK FUNCTION INITIATED. VIRUS POTENCY SET TO 80 PERCENT."
- Before the final battle
- "... ... ...Ugh!"
- When defeated
- First, second and third times
- "... ... ..."
- Last time
- After the final defeat
- "... ... ...Ngh! GAAAAAHHH!!"
- "GRAAAUUUGGGHHH! AUUUGGGHHH!!"
- "GAAAHHH!! ... ... ..."
- "Mmh... Mmm... Yawwwn! Hm? Oh, Dr. Xerosic... Are we all done for today?"
- "Yawwwn! Oh, really? Then I guess I've got to start looking for a new job again."
- "Huh? Wait? Why is everyone here? I thought it was a secret that I was working here!"
- "Hm? What do you mean? I've just been taking a nap. My job here was really easy. All I had to do was wear this suit while I snoozed away."
- "What are you doing here, Mr. Looker? I thought you were in the hospital!"
- "Oh, I see. I was afraid you might be mad because I started working without telling you. I kept it a secret all this time... You really are a great detective, aren't you, Mr. Looker? You found me anyway!"
- "Oh, sure. No problem! We'll head out now! Let's all go together! Mimi! And you too, <player>!"
- "Um-hm... That Mr. Looker! He said his stomach is still paining him too much to check out yet! I wonder if this time he'll tell me which hospital he's at. I've never even visited him once! And it seems like Mr. Xerosic is busy, too, what with getting ready for his big arrest and all. I gotta say it's a bit, well, lonesome around here at the office, really..."
- Via Holo Caster
- "Hello, <player>. Can you hear me? It's me, Emma. I have incredible news for you, so please come to the Looker Bureau!"
- Upon arrival
- "Finally, <player>! What took you so long? Guess what! Mr. Looker is getting out of the hospital! Finally! I wanted us all to be here to welcome him home!
- "Oh! Mimi, you're back! Come on, Mimi! You're part of the welcome party, too!"
- "Huh? What's wrong with Mimi? I think it's holding something..."
- "It's... a letter? It's from Mr. Looker. <player>... I'll read it out loud, OK?"
- "Wh-what is this... Is he joking? What's this "International Police"? H-he wouldn't go and leave us, would he? Why...? Could he leave without even saying a word to us?! It can't be... He can't go... I don't want him to go off somewhere without us! He can't have gotten far yet, right? <player>! I'm going after him!"
- Via Holo Caster
- "<player>! I just got a message from Xerosic! He's with Looker at Lysandre Café! I'm going to take Mimi there! Hurry over and join us!"
- Lysandre Café
- "Where is he? Hold on! Wait for me, Mr. Looker!"
- "Oh, Dr. Xerosic! Thanks for your message!"
- "Mr. Looker, I've been searching everywhere for you! Please t-tell me why, please... Why did you lie to us? Why are you leaving us behind?"
- "Then take me and Mimi with you. We'll join whatever police! We can be police or anything--if only we can just stay together!"
- "Why not?! Why can't we?! I'm part of the Looker Bureau, too! I'm your assistant, aren't I?!"
- "But that's not fair at all! Come on, <player>! Say something! Tell him he's wrong!"
- "Dr. Xerosic..."
- "Dr. Xerosic... Dr. Xerosic, you've tried to do terrible things to the world, I guess. I find it hard to see you as that kind of person. I only became a Pokémon Trainer thanks to your being there for me. ... ... ... I will always cherish your Pokémon and your suit, Dr. Xerosic. I won't forget our bonds, either..."
- "Mr. Looker... I think I understand... And I know what I'm gonna do. I'll keep on working hard for you. I've got Mimi and <player> to help me. With Dr. Xerosic's Pokémon and Expansion Suit, I will become the new head of the Looker Bureau!"
- "Thank you... And good-bye..."
- "That's enough..."
- "Hey, Mimi? You know, we've made a lot of really good friends since we left the alleys... Mr./Miss <player> and Mr. Looker... And Dr. Xerosic, too..."
- "Mimi... Those two old guys really did everything for us... Do you think that's what it's like...to have a father?"
- "Hehehe... Nothing. Never mind. Of course you wouldn't know any better than me, Mimi. But...I'm still glad. I'm glad we got to meet them."
|Japanese||マチエール Matiere||From matière, French for matter|
|English||Emma||Possibly from the name Emma, meaning "whole" or "universal"|
|German, Italian, Spanish||Matière||From her Japanese name|
|Korean||마티에르 Matiere||From her Japanese name|
|Japanese||エスプリ Esprit||From esprit, French for spirit|
|German, Italian, Spanish||Esprit||From her Japanese name|
|Korean||에스프리 Esprit||From her Japanese name|
|Spanish||Peluchín||From peluche, teddy bear.|
|Trainer classes in the Pokémon core series|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|