From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Emerald (Japanese: エメラルド Emerald) is the eleventh main character of the manga series Pokémon Adventures. His origin is unknown, although Latios and Latias are very close to him, calling him "Rald".
Emerald seems to have an issue with his own height, as he wears his hair tall, clothing with extra long sleeves, and platform shoes. Much of his clothing appears to be intended to make him look taller than he really is. Even despite this, Emerald is much shorter than he already appears, as revealed by Greta and Todd while he is sleeping.
Emerald doesn't like Pokémon themselves, but he likes Pokémon battles. To the amazement of Todd, he is an expert at battling. As he does not train his own Pokémon, he borrows the Pokémon he uses from Crystal.
Despite his protests, his Pokémon love him greatly and tend to get jealous of each other; recently, his Sudowoodo and Sceptile got into an argument over Emerald's food and began cooking with berries in a frenzy before being broken up by Emerald's Dusclops. His Sceptile's interest in Emerald's Pokédex indicated that it evolved from Wally's Grovyle. This was later confirmed.
Emerald carries several gadgets with him, primarily his extendable mechanical hands. He also has a pistol that shoots soil from various places around the world. By shooting a Pokémon with a "seal" of soil from its birthplace, the Pokémon is calmed by a sense of nostalgia.
Emerald has the ability to determine the birthplace of any Pokémon by sight. He uses this ability along with his gun to calm rampaging Pokémon that have been illegally added to the Battle Frontier, and has taken three of these cured Pokémon as his own.
As revealed at the end of the Emerald chapter, Emerald was one of the orphans that Crystal was helping. He looked up to her and wanted a Pokédex of his own. Professor Oak did want to offer one to him at one point but he had declined due to his animosity towards Pokémon while in the Pokémon Academy. He spent his time roaming around Hoenn and met the Trick Master, who gave him the gadgets that were inspired by a faraway land. He also had a green gem that was used as a test to call out Rayquaza, but Emerald found the gem and it got attached to his forehead.
He first appeared in the Battle Frontier, having been brought there by Latios and Latias. There he met Todd. After he bound and gagged Tucker and stole his Salamence, Emerald was about to be banned from the Frontier, until it was revealed that Emerald was attracting media attention. Upon the risk of losing major publicity, the Frontier Brains and Scott eventually agreed to his challenge: he would defeat all of the seven Brains within seven days.
Later on, Emerald's reason for visiting the Frontier is revealed: he was assigned by Professor Oak and Crystal to capture Jirachi. He attempted it the first time after his fight with Brandon at the Battle Pyramid and was almost successful. However, after that, he went back to his original challenge.
This has been updated from the most recent chapter of the Battle Frontier Saga.
|| Sceptile ♂
- Main article: Emerald's Sceptile
Sceptile, as a Treecko, was supposed to be Emerald's starter; however, the day he was going to receive it was the Groudon and Kyogre catastrophe. Emerald arrived just seconds after Professor Birch lost Treecko's Poké Ball in the waves. Treecko was eventually found by Wally, and helped him to climb the Sky Pillar to awaken Rayquaza. While climbing, it evolved into Grovyle. When they reached the top, Rayquaza's power sent Grovyle flying out of the pillar, and it was lost again. After that, he became a rental Pokémon in the Battle Factory (later revealed to have been smuggled there by Guile Hideout to drive the nosy reporters out). He went berserk after being stung by a Poison Sting and Emerald calmed it down, then he used it in the battle against Noland. After defeating Noland, Emerald took it upon realizing that it was no rental Pokémon (all Pokémon in the 50 course were of level 50 only, and Sceptile was 51). It was later proved that this Sceptile was the same lost Treecko when Ruby and Sapphire went to the Battle Frontier and their starters, Zuzu and Toro, recognized Sceptile.
|| A Rival, A Friend
| Emerald's Sudowoodo
|| Sudowoodo ♀
| Sudowoodo went crazy due to being watered by Todd Snap while disguised as a tree and attacked but was calmed by Emerald. After this incident, Sudowoodo followed Emerald and joined Emerald's team at Artisan Cave after shielding him along with Dusclops and Sceptile. She cares deeply for Emerald and once got into a berry cooking competition to prove it. After the final battle with Guile Hideout, she became acquainted with Gold's Utaro.
|| VS Sudowoodo
|| Mr. Mime
| Mr. Mime was a rental Pokémon given to Emerald by Noland after it was calmed down by the young boy. It is believed that it has become a permanent member on Emerald's team after the battle with Guile Hideout. After the battle, it was seen getting acquainted with Crystal's Mimee.
|| VS Lapras
|| Snorlax ♀
| Snorlax was a rental Pokémon given to Emerald by Noland after she was calmed down by the young boy. It is believed that she has become a permanent member on Emerald's team after the battle with Guile Hideout. After the battle, she was seen getting acquainted with Red's Lax.
|| VS Lapras
| Emerald's Mantine
|| Mantine ♀
| Mantine was a rental Pokémon given to Emerald by Noland after she was calmed down by the young boy. It is believed that she has become a permanent member on Emerald's team after the battle with Guile Hideout. After the battle, she was seen getting acquainted with Gold's Mantaro.
|| VS Lapras
These are the Pokémon that he used for the matches that required rental Pokémon:
Used in the Battle Factory
Borrowed from Crystal
This has been updated as of the most recent chapter of the Battle Frontier Saga.
Used in the Battle Pike
Used in the Battle Pyramid
Used in the Battle Dome
- Emerald is the only character named after a third version in Pokémon Adventures that is male, as Green*, Yellow, Crystal, and Platinum are all female.
- Emerald and Yellow are the only main characters of Pokémon Adventures not directly based on game characters, coincidentally named for third versions of odd-numbered generations. Pokémon Yellow is, however, the fourth game of Generation I in Japan, with Pokémon Blue being the third.
- Four Pokémon owned by Emerald are also owned by other Trainers in Pokémon Adventures; notably, they also all received pre-evolutions in Generation IV.
- All of the Pokémon listed also meet their counterparts at the end of the Emerald Arc. They all become acquainted and are seen lounging with each other.
- It should also be noted that Gold's Sudowoodo is a male, while Emerald's is a female. The only other time that two main characters of Pokémon Adventures had two Pokémon of the same species and opposite genders an egg was produced by the two.
- The Trick Master says his Soil Gun was based on a device he saw in a faraway land, which might refer to a Capture Styler that calms a Pokémon with circles.
- Emerald is the only Pokémon Adventures character whose first Pokémon was actually one of the starter Pokémon from the game series - or rather its evolution, Sceptile.
- Emerald's birthday is May 31.
- An emerald is the birthstone for those born in May.
- Emerald is the only Pokémon Adventures main character whose first Pokémon was set to be a starter Pokémon of the main series games.
- Emerald is also the only main character to lose his first Pokémon before actually obtaining it.
- Emerald and Green are two of four Pokédex holders that share the same astrological sign, they are both Gemini. The only other two are Gold and Ruby who are both Cancers.
In other languages