|To Evolve or Not to Evolve, That Is the Question!|
To Evolve or Not to Evolve, That Is the Question! (Japanese: タイチとイーブイ Taichi and Eievui), was the sixth chapter of the manga The Electric Tale of Pikachu. It was collected in the second volume. It is based on the anime episode The Battling Eevee Brothers.
Misty suggests going to Stone Town, a town on Dream Island where all of the evolutionary stones come from. She wants to buy a Water Stone to evolve her Poliwhirl into Poliwrath. However, Misty could not afford any of the stones available, remarking that an inexpensive stone might make an evolution go bad.
On their way out of the shop, a young boy gives Misty an evolution stone set. A nurse at the Pokémon Center explains that it is a gift set from an exclusive fellowship called The Knights of the E Stone, which requires all members to own a Pokémon evolved by an evolutionary stone.
Meanwhile, at a restaurant named The Machop Grill, a meeting of the Knights of the E Stone is underway, with Ash, Misty and Brock spying from afar. They are about to induct the boy from earlier, Mikey, but Mikey has chosen not to evolve his Eevee, saying that he likes it the way it already is and doesn't want to change it. Mikey's older brothers are ashamed, and the entire fellowship pressures him to evolve his Eevee immediately.
Unable to hold back any longer, Ash jumps down and tells the fellowship leader that unevolved Pokémon are not worthless. The members of the fellowship protest, and Brock suggests having Eevee battle each of its evolved forms to prove its worth. The fellowship leader agrees, and allows Ash and Mikey to battle against Mikey's brothers, the three representatives of the fellowship. Back at Mikey's house, his brothers nag him about his decision, insisting that joining The Knights of the E Stone is a family tradition. Misty protests, saying that Mikey should be able to make whatever decision he wants.
The next day, Ash begins the first round against Rainer's Vaporeon. Pikachu quickly defeats Vaporeon with an Electric-type attack and moves on to the next opponent, Pyro. After Pikachu defeats Pyro's Flareon just as quickly, the fellowship leader realizes that only Ash has battled, not Mikey.
Mikey faces off against his brother Sparky's Jolteon. After finding out that Eevee's Tackle is ineffective against Jolteon, Ash asks for a time out to use a Technical Machine on Eevee. Eevee defends itself with Reflect until Jolteon uses Pin Missile, at which point Eevee uses the new move it just learned: Mimic. Eevee uses Pin Missile back at Jolteon, which defeats it. Mikey is inducted into The Knights of the E Stone and his brothers are overjoyed.
- Ash and his friends meet Mikey.
- Mikey (and Ash) are challenged to a battle against his brothers after not evolving his Eevee for The Knights of the E Stone.
- Mikey and Ash win the battle.
- Mikey and Ash are accepted into The Knights of the E Stone, although Ash refuses.
- Much later in the anime, Misty's Poliwhirl evolves into Politoed, not Poliwrath.
- A sampler of this chapter was included in the original series DVD release titled "The Great Race."
- The ending of this chapter was removed from the North American translated version. This scene was set in a hot spring, and it pictured a naked Misty (with Pikachu) relaxing and washing herself, making a comment about how her chest should evolve, too. All of a sudden, Ash, Mikey, and Brock appear in another hot spring where they can see Misty washing herself. The three boys start to make lustful faces towards her. Misty, noticing their presence, is extremely embarrassed and feels very violated; and she runs away in anger. This scene was likely removed due to excessive nudity and the adult nature of the scene.
|This article is part of Project Manga, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each series of Pokémon manga.|