From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Why? Why Not!
Sohnano!? Gym Badges and Sonans!!
|| July 4, 2002
| United States
|| June 28, 2003
|| Team Ota
|| 武上純希 Junki Takegami
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 大町繁 Shigeru Ōmachi
| Animation director
|| 酒井啓史 Hiroshi Sakai
| No additional credits are available at this time.
Why? Why Not! (Japanese: ソーナノ!?ジムバッジとソーナンス!! Sohnano!? Gym Badges and Sonans!!) is the 255th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on July 4, 2002 and in the United States on June 28, 2003.
Team Rocket steal all of Ash's badges which are then stolen by a Wynaut. Will Ash be able to get them back?
Ash plans to go to New Bark Town to register for the Johto Silver Conference now that he has all 8 badges even though the Silver Conference is in 3 months. Team Rocket has plans of their own, they decide to steal Ash’s badges for money or to enter the Conference themselves. They are successful in stealing his badges and run away with them. Meanwhile, Wobbuffet meets a Wynaut in the woods who steals the badges from Team Rocket. When Ash realizes his loss of badges he goes through the list of the gym leaders he fought to get them.
Team Rocket think a Wooper stole the badges, so they try to find one. While Ash tries on his own to try to find the badges. Noctowl and Bayleef find Wynaut and the badges and some berries he has in a box. But when Team Rocket find Bayleef with the badges, they attack Bayleef and escape with the badges. Clair comes in with Dragonair to chase the Rocket balloon. When Ash gets his badges back he realizes he’s missing his Rising badge, Wynaut appears holding the badge. He hands it to Bayleef and escapes without Ash seeing him. Now that Ash has all 8 badges, Clair tells Ash the directions to New Bark Town to register for the Johto League Silver Conference.
Who's That Pokémon?: Steelix
- Throughout the entire Blackthorn City arc, Wynaut is never seen by a human. This perhaps accounts for its perceived rarity outside of Hoenn.
- On the corresponding page on Pokémon.com the episode is called Why? Wynaut! instead of Why? Why Not! However, on the title card in the episode itself the latter title is printed. Therefore, this episode has two titles. Moreover, some dubs, like Iberian Spanish, use translations of the second title whereas others, like Latin American Spanish, use the first.
- In the title sequence there are only seven badges that are shown. Since Ash won his Rising Badge in the previous episode all eight badges should have been shown.
- This error proceeded all the way till the end of the 5th season: Master Quest and was never fixed.
- When remembering his badges, Ash says he received the Glacier Badge twice. The first one was actually the Zephyr Badge.
- Meowth was holding the leaf that had Ash's badges in it, then it shows Meowth holding nothing, and then holding the leaf again.
In other languages
- French: Le vol des badges
- German. Die Orden sind weg!
- Hebrew: גנבי התגים ganavei hatagim
- Italian: Doppio furto
- Portuguese (Brazilian): A Grande Roubada!
- Iberian Spanish: ¿Por qué? ¿Por qué no?
- Latin American Spanish: ¿Por qué? Wynaut!