From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Control Freak!
Golbat VS The Masked Queen Musashi! The Battle in the Ruins!!
|| May 3, 2001
| United States
|| March 30, 2002
|| Team Ota
|| 武上純希 Junki Takegami
|| 横田和 Kazu Yokota
| Assistant director
|| 大町繁 Shigeru Ōmachi
| Animation director
|| たけだゆうさく Yūsaku Takeda
| Additional credits
Control Freak! (Japanese: ゴルバットＶＳかめんのじょおうムサシ！いせきのたたかい！！ Golbat VS The Masked Queen Musashi! The Battle in the Ruins!!) is the 196th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on May 3, 2001 and in the United States on March 30, 2002.
As our heroes and their Pokémon enjoy another fine meal prepared by Brock, Golbat begins to act strangely and flies away. Brock, Ash and Misty chase after the Flying-type and end up at an archaeological dig. When they meet the intelligent and beautiful archeologist, Tierra, she explains her ultra-sonic equipment had just been destroyed and perhaps its errant waves attracted Golbat. She also tells our heroes of an ancient golden mask and scepter, once belonging to a queen who had the power to control all Pokémon. She is now looking for a buried temple said to contain these two priceless artifacts and asks Brock if his Golbat will use it’s Sonic attack to help her locate the exact placement of the temple.
Overhearing our heroes, Team Rocket employs their latest mechanical menace, the Dig-a-Tron to beat the gang to the temple. When Jessie dons the mask and scepter she has the power to control all Pokémon. She first tries her powers out on James' Victreebel and then Meowth, making him do a dance. When Ash an co. arrive at the temple, Jessie takes control over Pikachu, Geodude, Onix and Golbat, however Golbat manages to break lose of the spell and starts to attack Jessie. Onix then helps Team Rocket to escape from the temple up onto solid ground but when Jessie and Pikachu cross a strange marking on the ground, the spell breaks and Pikachu uses its Thunderbolt attack on Jessie.
Meanwhile, during Team Rocket's escape, the temple starts to crumble and Golbat gets trapped under some fallen rocks but with the help of Brock, manages to escape. Our heroes then make it back to up to the surface where they see Pikachu shocking Jessie with Thunderbolt. Tierra explains that the power of the mask and staff only works within the home of the queen, upon hearing this Team Rocket jump back into the Dig-a-tron (which turns into a rocket) and begin to make an escape. Ash sends out Noctowl to chase the trio along side Golbat, however the Dig-a-tron is too fast for both Template:Type2 Pokémon. Brock offers some encouraging words to Golbat and upon hearing this, Golbat begins to evolve into Crobat! Now with a much faster speed, Crobat catches up with Team Rocket and uses its wings to slice the Dig-a-tron into pieces.
Team Rocket fall onto the ground below and Jessie attempts to grab the gold mask and staff, but she is blocked by the newly evolved Crobat. Its not long until Ash and co. catch up and Team Rocket get their usual zap of Thunder before flying far away into the sky. The gang leave behind Tierra who is excited about the new discovery and carry on their journey.
Who's That Pokémon?: Miltank
- In this episode, Team Rocket uses a variation of their motto.
- This is the first episode to use computerized cel coloring instead of hand painted cels, as such, Jessie's hair changes from red to either a darker maroon or reddish purple, and James' hair goes from light blue to purple.
- When Brock uses Golbat's supersonic soundwaves to locate the queen's temple, Ash and Misty say that Brock did the same thing when they were lost in Dr. Anna's medical clinic. That, however isn't true as Brock was the only one of the trio lost in the maze under it while Ash and Misty worked to get him put and Dr. Anna was the one who used the supersonic attack to navigate the maze.
In other languages
- Czech: Maska
- French: La Reine des Pokémons
- German: Die goldene Maske
- Greek: Τον έλεγχο φρικιό!
- Hebrew: המלכה ג'סי hamalka Jessie
- Italian: La maschera e lo scettro
- Mandarin: 大嘴蝠對抗假面具女王武藏，遺跡之戰
- Portuguese (Brazilian): Fanáticos pelo Controle!
- Iberian Spanish: La reina de los Pokémon
- Latin American Spanish: ¡Control total!