From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Tricks of the Trade
Sonans and the Pokémon Swap Meet!!
|| May 4, 2000
| United States
|| March 24, 2001
|| Team Ota
|| 大橋志吉 Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
|| 井硲清高 Kiyotaka Isako
| Assistant director
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Animation director
|| 岩根雅明 Masaaki Iwane
| Additional credits
Tricks of the Trade (Japanese: ソーナンスとポケモンこうかんかい！！ Sonans and the Pokémon Swap Meet!!) is the 146th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on May 4, 2000 and in the United States on March 24, 2001.
At the Pokémon Swap Meet, our heroes befriend a young Pokémon trainer who's having difficulties finding a trading partner willing to accept his Wobbuffet. When Jessie inadvertently deposits her Pokéball across from his in the exchanger, this young trainer gets more than he had bargained for.
Ash, Misty, and Brock are walking down the beach when they see a young Trainer and his Wobbuffet. Ash looks it up on his Pokédex and the boy introduces himself as Benny. He says that he is going to the Pokémon Swap Meet to find someone to trade his Wobbuffet to. Misty wonders why he would want to trade his Pokémon and Benny says he likes Wobbuffet and has trained it hard but now he wants a different Pokémon.
James is squirting water at his Victreebel while Jessie is with her Lickitung. Meowth says they should go and see if they could steal some Pokémon, but, unbeknownst to them, Snubbull is following them.
The gang are walking down the road when a herd of Tauros come running by. One of the townspeople says that this is one of the events that happen every year at the Swap Meet, and that anyone who touches one of the Tauros's horns gets a trophy from the mayor. Ash tries, but gets scared and moves out of the way. He then says maybe he'll try next year. All of the Tauros run into a stadium and begin a huge battling competition. Ash wants to participate, so he calls Professor Oak and exchanges his Heracross for Tauros. A Tauros Trainer named Fernando was about to be declared the winner of the competition when Ash jumped from the stands and challenged him. After a short battle Fernando's Tauros lost and Ash was declared the winner of the competition. Afterward, Benny is trying to find Ash to trade his Wobbuffet for Ash's Tauros. Several other Trainers are swarming around Ash and offering him trades, but Ash says he could never trade his Tauros. Benny realises that Ash would never trade one of his Pokémon away. Benny walks around, trying to find a trade partner, but with no luck. Ash and Brock come along and decide to help him. They make a deal with a Trainer with a Stantler.
Meanwhile, Team Rocket are running a fake trade machine that swaps full Poké Balls for empty ones. James is walking around and finds a man selling a Magikarp. He remembers him but by then it's too late and the salesman has run off with his money. He gives chase but Jessie gets in the way and is sent flying towards the real trading machine. The man with the Stantler decides he doesn't want to trade and runs off. Jessie falls and hits her head on the machine as the Poké Ball containing Lickitung flies out of her pocket and lands on the machine. The Poké Ball exchanges with Benny's but Jessie isn't looking. She grabs the Poké Ball and runs off.
People have started to suspect their machine is a fake so Team Rocket reveal themselves and tie everyone up. Team Rocket jump into their balloon and begin to float away. Ash tells everyone to use their Tauros to attack the balloon. Team Rocket blast off, leaving a sack behind. A Trainer uses his Scyther to free everyone, and they open the sack, only to find the Poké Balls are all empty. Ash and friends go to find Team Rocket and get the Pokémon back.
Ash, Brock and Misty arrive at the spot where Team Rocket are. Ash challenges Team Rocket to a battle. He sends out Chikorita and Jessie sends out what she thinks is Lickitung, but is actually Wobbuffet (the gang assume this is actually a different Wobbuffet to Benny's). Chikorita uses Vine Whip but Wobbuffet uses a powerful Counter and knocks out Chikorita. Ash then sends out Pikachu who uses a Thunderbolt and sends Team Rocket blasting off, leaving the Poké Balls behind.
Back at the swap meet, the gang return the Poké Balls to the Trainers. Benny runs up to them with Lickitung, and explains that he was able to trade Wobbuffet for it with a lady but she ran off and he can't find her to thank her. The gang (not piecing together that Benny actually traded with Jessie) think she must have gone home for the day. Benny calls out to her to thank her and asks her to take good care of Wobbuffet.
Meanwhile, Team Rocket are hanging on a branch with Wobbuffet as they realize that, no matter how it happened, they have a new member. Meowth tells Jessie she'll have to look after Wobbuffet now, as she despairs over having being landed with such an unusual Pokémon...
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Wooper (U.S. and international), Wobbuffet (Japan)
Pokémon seen at the Pokémon Swap Meet
- The Tauros competition at the beginning of the episode is loosely based on the traditional Spanish Encierro de Toros, or Running of the Bulls.
- The book Prize Pokémon is based on this episode.
- Although Wobbuffet successfully deflects special attacks, such as Razor Leaf and Vine Whip, after being told to use Counter, a later episode reveals that he was always aware of which countering move each situation called for and had been using Mirror Coat from the beginning to deflect these attacks.
- This episode marks the second time a main anime character has traded a Pokémon. The first time was in Battle Aboard the St. Anne!, where Ash traded his Butterfree to a Gentleman for a Raticate, but soon traded back.
- A Trainer who wanted to trade an Onix for Ash's Tauros had the same voice as Brock.
- The man who tricked James in Battle Aboard the St. Anne! made another appearance trying to trick him again but James remembered him and ran after him.
- One of the Trainers offered to trade Ash a Rhyhorn for his Tauros. Rhyhorn was the Pokémon Ash was trying to catch when he instead caught his second Tauros.
- In this episode, Team Rocket uses a variation of their motto.
- Sentret's ears in one scene are colored light brown instead of the normal dark brown.
- The Magikarp salesman tells James that if he sells each of the 1 billion for 100 dollars, he would have 10 billion dollars. He would actually have 100 billion dollars.
In other languages