Difference between revisions of "EP073"
(→In other languages)
|Line 178:||Line 178:|
[[de:Böse bis auf die Knochen (Episode)]]
[[de:Böse bis auf die Knochen (Episode)]]
Revision as of 13:10, 11 February 2013
| Bad to the Bone
Bad to the Bone (Japanese: ガラガラのホネこんぼう Garagara's Bone Club) is the 73rd episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on December 3, 1998 and in the United States on October 16, 1999.
|Spoiler warning: this article may contain major plot or ending details.|
The episode begins with Ash, Misty, and Brock visiting Professor Oak's Lab for some advice on training for the Pokémon League. Oak suggests that if Ash wants to compete that he get on his way immediately. Ash heads back to his house to get his bag and Professor Oak and Ash's mom give him a heartfelt good luck as he sets on his way for the Pokémon League. Brock leads Ash and Misty through a grass field suggesting that it is a short cut to Indigo Plateau, when a shadow suddenly flies by and jumps into the air. The shadow lands in front of them and is revealed to be a Pokémon Trainer named Otoshi, who challenges Ash to a Pokémon battle, after he realizes that they are heading to the Pokémon League. However, he tells Ash that the loser must give up all eight of their Badges to the winner. Ash turns down the offer and starts heading back on his way when Otoshi suggests that Ash is afraid of losing to him. This tempts Ash into agreeing to the battle, despite Brock and Misty's warnings.
The battle begins with Otoshi's Marowak against Ash's Bulbasaur. Ash looks up Marowak on his Pokédex, which suggests that despite Marowak's small size, Marowak's strength is quite impressive. Brock warns Ash not to get caught off guard by Marowak's strength. Ash commands Bulbasaur to use Tackle against Marowak, which misses as Marowak dodges. Ash instructs Bulbasaur to use Vine Whip as Otoshi tells Marowak to use Focus Energy and then Bone Club to deflect the attack. Then Marowak rushes over and attacks Bulbasaur, causing critical damage. Ash substitutes Pikachu for Bulbasaur. Pikachu rushes to Marowak, but then Marowak starts continuously using Bone Club on Pikachu, causing Pikachu to have to dodge the attacks. Then Pikachu jumps out and uses ThunderShock against Marowak, causing it to faint.
Otoshi then begins to throw a fit over losing, and admits that he has no Badges to give. Otoshi admits that his Badges were stolen from him as he was walking to the Pokémon League. Otoshi and Marowak noticed some fruit on the ground. Being very hungry after much training, the pair rush over to eat, only to fall into a pit fall trap. It is revealed that Team Rocket took his Badges as he lay dazed in the pit.
Ash decides to help Otoshi get his Badges back, despite Misty and Brock warning him that they'll be late for the competition. Ash explains that he worked hard for his Badges and how terrible it would have been if he had lost his Badges, that stealing from one person is like stealing from everyone. So, they all agree to work together in search of Team Rocket to retrieve the Badges.
Meanwhile, James and Meowth are bragging to each other about how easy it was to steal Otoshi's Badges. James suggests to Meowth they take one more look at the Badges when Meowth realizes that they're gone, along with Jessie. That's when James says that he remembers Jessie going off to shop with a big square package in a big green handkerchief. Meowth then figures out that Jessie must have stolen the stolen Badges from them.
Jessie is revealed to be heading toward the Pokémon League with the Badges. She decides to win the competition by herself, believing that she can be a solo superstar without sharing the glory with James and Meowth.
Meanwhile, Ash's Pidgeotto flies about searching for Team Rocket, and appears to have noticed Team Rocket's balloon flying upward with James and Meowth inside. Ash then instructs Pidgeotto to pop their balloon so that they can't get away. When they land, Otoshi commands Team Rocket to give up the Badges, when Meowth admits that they have been robbed as well.
Misty demands that they show them all that they own, just in case if they were lying. After they give a good search, Brock pronounces that it's all just junk. Meowth tells Ash and the gang that Jessie had stolen them. Marowak starts throwing a tantrum, and Meowth translates to Otoshi that Marowak doesn't want to be his Pokémon anymore, because of all of its hard work going to waste. When Otoshi asks Marowak to stay, the Bone Keeper Pokémon pushes Otoshi away and leaves him.
Ash, Misty, and Brock agree that they all have to find Jessie and the Badges or else Marowak may never come back. However, James and Meowth begin to give chase as well to find Jessie first. then Jessie is then revealed to have donned a disguise in order to fool Ash, Misty, and Brock, Otoshi, James and Meowth.
Jessie spots a Trainer admiring his Badges, and after seeing how pretty the Badges look, she begins thinking about taking them. Above Jessie and the Trainer are James and Meowth in the Team Rocket Balloon. James guesses that the woman beside the Trainer is Jessie by the style of clothing she is wearing. Meowth agrees and decides to land, right as Jessie attempts to steal the Badges of the other Trainer. James and Meowth then throw a smoke bomb at them. James begins to recite their motto, then Jessie joins in and the Trainer runs away after realizing that the woman is a member of Team Rocket. James declares from then on that Team Rocket shall steal as a team and not as individuals.
That's when Ash and the gang arrive and demand that Team Rocket give the Badges back to Otoshi. Jessie tells Otoshi that she won't give the Badges back unless he can beat her in a Pokémon battle. The battle begins as Jessie sends out her Arbok and as Otoshi sends out his Doduo.
Meanwhile, Marowak is walking through the woods and notices some Trainers and their Pokémon training for the Pokémon League, which reminds it of the intense training it went through with Otoshi. Marowak then decides to go back to Otoshi's side as his Pokémon.
The battle between Jessie and Otoshi begins as Doduo runs over to Arbok and gets slammed by Arbok's tail, and then by its head. Then Doduo's heads begin to argue with each other leaving it wide open. Arbok then wraps itself around Doduo and squeezes it. Jessie attempts to catch Otoshi's Doduo when a bone comes flying and stops Jessie's Poké Ball mid-air. The bone is revealed to have come from Marowak, who has returned to Otoshi. Jessie's Arbok then comes over to attack. Otoshi commands Marowak to use Focus Energy as Arbok begins to use Double-Edge. Then, Marowak uses Bone Club and stops Arbok in its tracks. Marowak then uses Bonemerang, sending Arbok flying towards Team Rocket. James sends out his Weezing in order to stop Arbok from colliding with them. However, Ash commands Pikachu to attack, so Pikachu jumps into the air and uses an electric attack on Weezing and Arbok sending them flying to Team Rocket's Balloon as Team Rocket tries to retreat. Otoshi then commands his Marowak to use Bonemerang at the balloon sending Team Rocket blasting off. The Badge case then falls from the balloon and Misty catches it.
Otoshi walks over to Marowak asking it if it will battle in the Pokémon League by Otoshi's side. Marowak accepts as Misty returns the Badges to Otoshi safe and sound. Brock congratulates Ash for doing the right thing by stopping and helping someone who really needed it, despite almost being late for the Pokémon League.
Later, Ash and his friends notice Indigo Plateau up ahead and they all begin to run as their journey continues...
- Jessie's Arbok is revealed to know Double-Edge.
- Ash and his friends set off for Indigo Plateau, the venue for the Indigo Plateau Conference.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Togepi (Misty's)
- Pidgeotto (Ash's)
- Bulbasaur (Ash's)
- Charmander (Ash's; flashback)
- Charizard (Ash's; flashback)
- Starmie (Misty's; flashback)
- Onix (Brock's; flashback)
- Arbok (Jessie's)
- Weezing (James's)
- Mr. Mime (Delia's; Mimey)
- Marowak (Otoshi's)
- Doduo (Otoshi's)
- Raichu (Lt. Surge's; flashback)
- Weepinbell (Erika's; flashback)
- Kadabra (Sabrina's; flashback)
- Venonat (Aya's; flashback)
- Scyther (Koga's; flashback)
- Rhydon (Blaine's; flashback)
- Magmar (Blaine's; flashback)
- Kingler (Giovanni's; flashback)
- Rhydon (Giovanni's; flashback)
- Hitmonlee (unknown Gym Leader's; flashback)
- Hitmonlee (unnamed Trainer's)
- Nidoran♂ (unnamed Trainer's)
- Chansey (unnamed Trainer's)
- Flareon (unnamed Trainer's)
- Professor Oak's lecture:Snorlax
- Pokémon senryū summary: Eat and sleep, and eat and sleep yet more, oh Snorlax.
- This episode's dub title is a reference to the George Thorogood song, Bad to the Bone.
- Brock says the episode's title during Ash and Otoshi's battle.
- This is the first episode to feature a legendary Pokémon in Who's That Pokémon?.
- This episode was banned in South Korea.
- This episode marks the first appearance of James's bottle cap collection.
- When Otoshi tells Ash he will either "lose his Badges now, or lose them later", he implies that the Trainers whom do not win at the Pokémon League will have their Badges taken.
- Pikachu knocks out Otoshi's Marowak with an Electric move, but Ground-type Pokémon should be immune to such attacks.
- Flashbacks show Otoshi earning a Volcano Badge, a Marsh Badge, a Soul Badge, and a Thunder Badge. However, when Team Rocket takes the Badges from Otoshi, the Thunder Badge cannot be seen. The Badges visible are a Boulder Badge, a Cascade Badge, a Marsh Badge, a Soul Badge, a Volcano Badge, and three unknown Badges, two of them square and one of them green and triangle-shaped. Later, when Jessie shows the other Trainer Otoshi's Badges, the Thunder Badge is there but the Marsh Badge isn't. Also all the Badges except for the Boulder Badge and the Thunder Badge are slightly distorted in this scene.
- In Otoshi's memories, it is shown he fought a Scyther when he won the Soul Badge. Also, it is shown he fought a Hitmonlee when he won the Marsh Badge.
- When Ash remembers his battles with the Gym Leaders, the scene where Bulbasaur defeats Venonat is shown. The Venonat was Aya's Venonat, and Ash won his Soul Badge by defeating Koga, the Gym Leader, when his Charmander beat Koga's Golbat.
- After Jessie's Arbok defeated Otoshi's Doduo, she decides to catch his Doduo, however, captured Pokémon cannot be captured again without being released first.
- The scene exactly before Otoshi and Ash choose Pokémon to battle with, Ash's gloves appear over the upper tips of his fingers instead of the lower part of his fingers.
- When Brock looks at all of James's items, instead of a Pokémon card collection which appeared in the original, photos of James are shown. The card on top is Dark Primeape from the Team Rocket expansion.
In other languages
|Czech||Zlý až na kost|
|Dutch||Slecht tot op het Bot|
|Finnish||Luita myöten paha|
|European French||Tombés sur un os|
|German||Böse bis auf die Knochen|
|Hebrew||פרשיית התגים parshiyat hatagim|
|Hungarian||Kicsi, de erős|
|Italian||Le Medaglie rubate|
|Polish||Gra o wszystko|
|Portuguese||Brazil||Um Osso Duro de Roer|
|Portugal||Ruim até aos Ossos|
|Romanian||Rău Până La Os|
|Russian||Плохо для костей!|
|Spanish||Latin America||¡Malo hasta los huesos!|
|Spain||Malo hasta la médula|
|Swedish||Jessie stjäl showen|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|