From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Pokémon Paparazzi
Shutter Chance is Pikachu
|| July 23, 1998
| United States
|| April 17, 1999
|| Team Ota
|| 園田英樹 Hideki Sonoda
|| 横田和 Kazu Yokota
| Assistant director
|| 大町繁 Shigeru Ōmachi
| Animation director
|| 武田優作 Yūsaku Takeda
| No additional credits are available at this time.
Pokémon Paparazzi (Japanese: シャッターチャンスはピカチュウ Shutter Chance is Pikachu) is the 55th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on July 23, 1998 and in the United States on April 17, 1999.
Ash and his friends are traveling, Brock is making Rice Ball s, and they have stopped to eat. Ash notices what he thinks is a gun pointing at Pikachu (actually Todd's camera) and pushes his Pokémon out of the way. This knocks the Rice Balls into the river, angering Brock. Later, they meet Todd, and while looking at his many photos of Pokémon, Ash notices a photo of him being carried by the Aerodactyl. Throughout the rest of that part of the episode, Todd repeatedly attempts to photograph Pikachu, which all the tries end futile. Near the end of the episode, it is revealed by Todd that Team Rocket, dressed up as seinors, begged him to capture Pikachu for them. Unlike how they wanted him to really catch it, he gets it on film. At the end, they try to capture Pikachu themselves, and, of course, they fail. Note: Ash almost falls off a waterfall in this episode, which would've killed him.
Synopsis by User: Ngl42398.
Who’s That Pokémon?: Geodude
- In the episode The Battling Eevee Brothers Pikachu has no problem having his picture taken but in this episode, when Todd Snap tries to take its picture, it gets upset. Possibly because it was prepared in that episode, unlike this one, where it's a surprise.
- When Todd is trying to take a picture of Pikachu, Ash mistakes his camera for a sniper, which he imagines shooting Brock. This is the first time a character is seen dying in the anime, though it is not real.
- 4Kids originally dubbed the episode with Tohru's name being "Snap," just like the character in the Pokémon Snap game. However, when it aired in the U.S., Snap's name was changed to "Todd" for the Kids' WB! airing. The reason for the name change was because 4Kids didn't want to get into legal trouble with Kellogg's for using the name "Snap" (since "Snap" is one of the characters associated with Rice Krispies). However, in every other English version of the episode, his name is Snap. Oddly enough, because Cartoon Network has rights to air any Pokémon episode (because Kids' WB! doesn't air them anymore), they used the Todd version instead of the Snap version like they always did back in 2003.
- The dub has Brock refer to onigiri as "rice balls".
- One joke that only makes sense in the Japanese version is Ash thinks that Todd said "Kamex" instead of "kamera", which is why Todd is wearing a Blastoise mask. The English version changes this to make Ash think that Todd said "Pokémon Masker" instead of "Pokémon Photo Master".
In other languages
- Finnish: Antaa palaa, Todd!
- French: Le chasseur d'images
- German: Pokémon Paparazzi
- Italian: Il fotografo
- Latin American Spanish: ¡Paparazzi Pokémon!
- Iberian Spanish: Paparazzi de Pokémon
- Swedish: Att plåta en Pokémon
- Brazilian Portuguese: Fotógrafo de Pokémon