From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- This article is about the episode. For the song of the same name, see Song of Jigglypuff.
| The Song of Jigglypuff
|| May 21, 1998
| United States
|| February 20, 1999
|| Team Ota
|| 大橋志吉 Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Animation director
|| 玉川明洋 Akihiro Tamagawa
| Additional credits
The Song of Jigglypuff (Japanese: うたって！プリン！ Sing! Purin!) is the 45th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on May 21, 1998, and in the United States on February 20, 1999.
Ash, Misty, and Brock are walking through a desert, looking for a town. They eventually arrive at Neon Town and it's already dark. In the city, a mean looking guy bumps into Ash and gets mad at the boy. Ash retorts but Brock immediately asks Ash to apologize. Ash refuses to do so and bumps into the guy. Before things get more heated, Officer Jenny stops them. Misty notices that this Jenny is a bit cranky.
Team Rocket shows up in town. James bumps into the same guy Ash encountered earlier. He gets mad at the guy, but he ends up getting beaten up. On the other hand, Jessie gets beaten up by a big woman for bumping into her.
The next morning, as Ash, Misty and Brock come out of a hotel, they notice several people arguing with one another. They head out to a forest outside the city and spots a Jigglypuff. Misty expresses her desire to capture one. She calls out for Staryu, but Psyduck pops out instead. Misty scolds it and puts it back into the Poké Ball, much to her dismay. After that, she sends out Staryu and let it attack the Jigglypuff. The little pink round Pokémon gets upset and cries. Brock finds this Jigglypuff strange. The gang then finds out that the Jigglypuff had problems with singing. Misty apologizes for attacking it earlier and hugs it. Ash decides that they should teach it to sing.
Hiding and spying on the gang, Team Rocket wants to use the Jigglypuff to put the people of Neon Town to sleep. They reveal themselves to the gang wearing costumes and Team Rocket do their motto while singing.
After dealing with Team Rocket, Misty gives Jigglypuff some lessons on controlling your breathing when singing. Ash compliments her for having a good singing voice. Pikachu sings as well. When Ash compliments it, Jigglypuff gets annoyed and secretly kicks Pikachu. Misty inflates a balloon and puts it in Jigglypuff's mouth. The air inside inflates inside and Jigglypuff goes flying. Brock helps Jigglypuff by giving it a fruit that can help make its throat feel better. Jigglypuff takes a bite out of the fruit and starts singing. Pikachu starts celebrating, but Jigglypuff kicks it again, this time in joy.
Misty requests for Jigglypuff to sing. Jigglypuff obliges and starts singing beautifully. Team Rocket, hiding behind some bushes, sets up the recorder to capture Jigglypuff's voice. As Jigglypuff's sings, everyone started feeling sleepy. When Jigglypuff notices everyone sleeping, it gets upset. It goes through Ash's bag and pulls out a black marker. It then proceed to scribble markings all over their faces. It also finds Team Rocket sleeping and tries waking them up with DoubleSlap. Unable to wake them up, Jigglypuff scribbles on their faces as well.
Ash, Misty, and Brock wake up only to see their faces with markings. They rub it off and saw that Jigglypuff is mad at them. Misty realizes that they must have fallen asleep during the performance and apologizes to it.
Everyone tries to cheer it up by letting their Pokémon listen to its singing. However, all of their Pokémon also falls asleep, including Psyduck.
Team Rocket finally wakes up and see their faces covered with markings. They rub it off and proceeded to check the recording. Unfortunately, the recorder did not capture Jigglypuff's singing. It recorded their loud snoring instead.
Brock suggests an idea of letting Jigglypuff perform for the people in Neon Town. Team Rocket is happy to hear. When they get into town, the gang looks for a place for Jigglypuff to sing. A truck then pulls over. James, disguised as a rock star, offers them their stage.
With the stage set, Jigglypuff starts singing. The voice is so strong that everyone in the town starts falling to sleep. Team Rocket, whose ears were not closed properly, falls asleep as well. Jigglypuff gets really upset with all of them and goes to scribble markings on everyone's faces. When the people in town wakes up, they seem friendlier to one another. The guy who bumped into Ash earlier even apologizes to him. Misty looks for Jigglypuff and realizes it was gone. On the other hand, Team Rocket leaves the city looking very happy, revealing that after waking up, their emotions improve than when they fell asleep from Jigglypuff's song.
As Ash, Misty, and Brock leave the city, Jigglypuff comes along and follows them.
Who's That Pokémon?: Jigglypuff
- James makes a possible reference to This is Spinal Tap when he says "crank the speakers up to eleven."
- Although it was never aired in syndicated form in Cartoon Network in 2003, it was finally aired on September 5, 2007 at 6:30 AM ET.
- The guitar on the music store sign is a Gibson Les Paul.
- When the person who bumped into Ash apologized for knocking into him the previous night, his face hasn't been scribbled on like everyone else's.
- This episode is featured on the Volume 2: Jigglypuff copy of Pokémon All Stars.
- In one scene, Jigglypuff's eyes turn green.
- Misty's shoes are completely red in one scene.
- The person who bumped into Ash apologized for knocking into him the previous night when it was actually two nights before.
- The scene of Jessie getting spanked by the huge woman and James getting beat up was cut out of the Kids' WB! airing of the episode. However, it does appear in the Cartoon Network and the DVD/VHS version.
In other languages
- Finnish: Jigglypuff laulaa
- French: Une jolie berceuse
- Dutch: Het lied van Jigglypuff
- German: Pummeluff´s Song
- Hebrew: שירו של ג'יגליפאף shiro shel Jigglypuff
- Italian: Sulle ali di una canzone
- Mandarin: 胖丁，唱歌吧！
- Portuguese Brazilian and European: A Canção do Jigglypuff
- Latin American Spanish: ¡La canción de Jigglypuff!
- Iberian Spanish: La canción de Jigglypuff
- Swedish: Jigglypuffs sång