From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Battle Aboard the St. Anne
Battle of the St. Anne!
|| July 8, 1997
| United States
|| September 28, 1998
|| Team Ota
|| 大橋志吉 Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Animation director
|| 玉川明洋 Akihiro Tamagawa
| No additional credits are available at this time.
Battle Aboard the St. Anne (Japanese: サントアンヌごうのたたかい！ Battle Aboard the St. Anne!) is episode 15 of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on July 8, 1997. It aired in the United States as the first dubbed episode on September 7, 1998, and later aired in-sequence on September 28, 1998.
Ash 'wins' a ticket to take a trip on a luxury cruise ship, the Saint Anne. However, this is a scheme devised by Giovanni, who plans to steal the Pokémon of all the trainers aboard.
Ash and his friends are invited to attend a cruise on the St. Anne, only to discover it's another one of Team Rocket's evil plans to steal Pokémon. Jessie, James and Meowth, after offering the Pokémon trainers free tickets, are in charge of this evil operation, and with the help from a group of Rocket Grunts, plan to steal all the Pokémon from the passengers on the St. Anne. Meanwhile, Ash, after battling a gentleman's Raticate trades his Butterfree for the gentleman's Raticate, and James is swindled into buying a Magikarp. When Team Rocket puts their evil plan into action, Ash and company lead a counterattack on the Rocket Grunts, foiling Giovanni's plan. Ash and his friends may have put a damper on Team Rocket's evil scheme, but Ash isn't out of the woods, yet-- he still has to trade the Raticate for his Butterfree. During that time, a storm is brewing, causing the St. Anne to sink. All of the passengers manage to escape, except for Ash, Misty, Brock, Pikachu and Jessie, James and Meowth of Team Rocket, who are still onboard the capsizing cruise ship! Will they escape before they sink to the bottom of the sea? The answer lies ahead in the next episode!
Who's That Pokémon?: Raticate
Pokémon seen on the St. Anne:
- When it aired as a sneak peek, it was not shown everywhere as some areas ran the annual Labor Day Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon instead.
- This is the first episode in which Team Rocket members besides Jessie, James, and Meowth appear.
- This is the first episode to end in a cliffhanger.
- While there wasn't an actual Rocket attack on the St. Anne in the Games, an undercover Global Police officer hints that St. Anne was going to be a target for it, due to the fact that he's undercover to try and catch any rocket members onboard.
- Jessie and James disguise themselves as ganguro girls when giving Ash tickets to get on the Saint Anne.
- The Saint Anne retains its Japanese name in the anime. In the games, it is called the S.S. Anne. This is probably due to the number of paint edits required to make the change. This actually prevents a future dub error when Ritchie is on a ship called the S.S. Anne in The Search for the Legend.
- When the episode first aired as the premier in the USA, the narrator's lines were changed to reflect it. In the beginning he announces the episode as a "special sneak peek of Pokémon". Then, at the end of the episode, he says "How will they escape their watery fate? I don't know, but tomorrow we'll see how Ash's Pokémon journey began."
In other languages
- European Portuguese: Batalha a bordo do Santa Ana
- French: Bataille à bord du St. Anne
- Dutch: Het gevecht voor de St. Anne
- Italian: Un'insolita crociera
- Latin American Spanish: ¡Duelo a bordo del Santa Anna!
- Brazilian Portuguese: Batalha a bordo do St. Anne
- Spanish: Combate a bordo del St. Anne