From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Notable Pokémon Trainers that specialize in Dragon-type Pokémon are Lance and Drake of the Elite Four; Clair, the Gym Leader of Blackthorn City; and Iris and Shaga, the Gym Leaders of Souryuu City.
The Dragon type is statistically the best of all types overall. Many of them do not evolve from their first stage to their second until a level at which many Pokémon are near their final evolutions, and their final evolution near level 50; Sazandora evolves at level 64, the highest of any Pokémon.
Most Dragon-type Pokémon have high Attack and Special Attack. Even though only Dragon-type Pokémon themselves are weak to the Dragon type, the only type that resists Dragon is Steel, giving them good use of their STAB.
Defensively, they have resistances to Electric, Grass, Water and Fire. However, every fully-evolved, non-legendary Dragon-type Pokémon except Kingdra, Haxorus, Crimgan and Sazandora has a double weakness to Ice-type moves, due to their secondary types.
When used in contests, Dragon-type moves typically become Cool moves, but some may be Smart or Tough moves.
As of Generation V, there are 29 Dragon-type Pokémon or 4.47% of all Pokémon, making it tied with the Template:Type2 as the fifteenth most common elemental type, or effectively the second least common type just ahead of the Template:Type2.
Pure Dragon-type Pokémon
Half Dragon-type Pokémon
Primary Dragon-type Pokémon
Secondary Dragon-type Pokémon
- In Generation I, there was only one Dragon-type attack, Dragon Rage; however, because it always deals 40 HP of damage, there was no way to do super-effective Dragon-type damage.
- There are only thirteen Dragon-type moves, the fewest of any type.
- Seven of these moves (more than half) have the word "dragon" in their names.
- Eight of those thirteen moves are Cool moves in Pokémon Contests and Pokémon Super Contests. The only five that aren't were introduced in Generation IV and V, meaning that in Hoenn Contests, all Dragon-type moves were Cool moves.
- The Dragon type also has the fewest number of non-damaging moves out of all of the types, with only one, Dragon Dance.
- The Dragon type resists moves of the primary types of all main series starter Pokémon available for players, including Pikachu.
- The Dragon type is one of the two types that is weak to itself; the other is the Ghost type.
- The Dragon type is one of two types that have both never have been and will never be doubly super effective against any Pokémon, as it is only super effective against one type. It shares this trait with the Normal type, which isn't super effective against anything.
- By the same manner, the Dragon type is also the only type that will never be doubly resisted by anything, as only Steel resists it.
- The Dragon type is statistically the best type, as its average fully evolved stat never goes below base 95.
- The only non-legendary Dragon-type Pokémon that doesn't sport any weakness to Ice is Kingdra.
- Dragon-type Pokémon are unique because they can all learn Draco Meteor by move tutor, and are the only Pokémon that can learn it at all (excluding Jirachi, Smeargle and Arceus without the Draco Plate).
- Generation V introduced the most Dragon-type Pokémon.
- Kingdra is the only Dragon-type introduced in Generation II.
- In Generations prior to Generation IV, only one TM contained a Dragon-type move each Generation. They were TM23 (Dragon Rage), TM24 (DragonBreath), and TM02 (Dragon Claw).
- Generation V introduced the only three-stage pure Dragon-type evolutionary line.
- Additionally, it is the only Generation to introduce a non-legendary Dragon-type Pokémon with no evolutionary relatives.
- Every Dragon type specialist has been the final member of their associations. Lance and Drake are the final Elite Four members in Generations I and III respectively. Clair and Iris/Shaga are the final Gym Leaders of Generations II (and the remakes) and V respectively. In addition, Lance becomes the final opponent of the game before the credits roll in Generation II and IV.
In other languages