During the Dance Competition, all Coordinators' Pokémon dance on the stage. The objective is to stay in rhythm to the music. Players command their Pokémon to perform a dance move by using the stylus to tap on the red, blue, green, and yellow castanets. Alternately, the directional pad and the face buttons can be used instead of the touch screen.
There are four castanets: red, blue, green, and yellow. During the Normal Rank and Great RankDP, players can tap up to three castanets, while in the Great RankPt, Ultra Rank and Master Rank, players can tap up to four castanets. The following is a list of castanets and the effect they produce when tapped:
- Red castanet - The Pokémon will jump up.
- Blue castanet - The Pokémon will step forward.
- Green castanet - The Pokémon will step to the left.
- Yellow castanet - The Pokémon will step to the right.
There are two types of dancers: the main dancer and the backup dancer. Each Pokémon gets a turn being the main dancer once.
The main dancer is in charge of leading the backup dancers. However, it is the main dancer's goal to cause the backup dancers to make mistakes. As the rank goes higher, the NPC main dancers will be harder to follow.
The backup dancers' goal is to imitate the lead dancer's movements. As the rank goes higher, the NPC backup dancers will make fewer mistakes.
Depending on how well the Pokémon danced and it matches the lead dancer's, the game will determine whether it was "Excellent", "Good", or a "Miss". A Pokémon earns 2 points for each step judged as "Excellent", and 1 point for each step judged as "Good". A step judged as a "Miss" does not score. The maximum score for the Dance Competition is thus 48 points in Contests with 3 steps, and 64 points in Contests with 4 steps.
- The castanets' colors are the same as the colors of the Contest conditions: Cool (red), Beauty (blue), Smart (green), and Tough (yellow). Oddly, pink (Cute) is not included. However, the dancing Jigglypuff may make up for the Cute Contest.
- This is strange in and of itself, as Jigglypuff is not in the Sinnoh Pokédex at all.
In other languages
| Necessary Spoils
Pokéblocks • Poffins
Cool • Beautiful • Cute • Clever • Tough
Appeal • Battle • Dance • Visual
Contest • Super Contest
Coordinator • Contest Hall • Contest Pass
Kanto • Hoenn • Sinnoh
Combinations • Opponents (III • IV • VI) • Double Performance • Jamming
Ribbons (List) • Ribbon Cup • Seals • Ball Capsules • Ranks
|This game mechanic article is part of Project Games, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on the Pokémon games.|