From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Last Call — First Round!
The Grand Festival Begins! The Art of Flame and Ice!!
|| April 29, 2010
| United States
|| September 18, 2010
|| Team Kato
|| 冨岡淳広 Atsuhiro Tomioka
|| まついひとゆき Hitoyuki Matsui
| Assistant director
|| 大庭秀昭 Hideaki Ōba
| Animation director
|| 志村泉 Izumi Shimura
| No additional credits are available at this time.
Last Call — First Round! (Japanese: グランドフェスティバル開幕！炎と氷のアート！！ The Grand Festival Begins! The Art of Flame and Ice!!) is the 174th episode of the Diamond & Pearl series, and the 640th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on April 29, 2010 and in the United States on September 18, 2010.
Dawn, Ash and Brock reach Lake Valor, where the Grand Festival takes place. Everyone does their best in the Appeal Round, but who's going to the Battle Rounds?
In Ursula's portion on the blue stage she starts out with two Eevee. She uses a musical seal and it causes musical notes to shoot upward out of the Poké Balls, revealing the Eevee. Dawn never saw Eevee before, so she checks her Pokédex. She starts with having the two use Iron Tail repeatedly with each other. She tells them both to use Hidden Power. Then she tosses a Water Stone and a Fire Stone at each, causing them to evolve into Vaporeon and Flareon. During evolution each has a cluster of silver bubbles around it and then as the stones are caught one Eevee is caught in a whirl of flames and the small silver bubbles become red bubbles and it evolves into Flareon, whereas the other is covered in a wave of water and its silver bubbles come blue bubbles as it evolves into Vaporeon. The two then fly together and they swirl in the air then fire the bubbles and they land softly on the ground as the bubbles land softly and pop into shimmering light. Again, Dawn checks the Pokédex. Kenny remarks that he never thought of using evolution in an Appeal, though Zoey notes that while it looked impressive and Ursula will get high marks, it will only work once.
Nando on the green stage uses Kricketot and Altaria. The two start by floating through the air and spinning together and Altaria goes upward using Perish Song and Kricketot remains on the ground and uses Sing. The two combine and make the music notes glow. The judges compliment Nando and Ash checks Kricketot on his Pokédex. It says that when Kricketot falls over, its antennae makes a xylophone-like sound. Ash comments that it's just like Nando to use sound during a performance.
Jessilina (Jessie) on the red stage uses Seviper and Yanmega in the Appeal Round. She has Seviper use Haze to create a circular spiral of smoke around it. She then jumps and flips onto its head without disturbing the Haze. Yanmega uses SonicBoom and aims it directly at Jessilina, causing a brilliant glow. This attack sheds her original Contest outfit, revealing a brand new one beneath it.
After several other Coordinators perform, it's Zoey's turn on the blue stage, of which the center opens up to reveal a pool for a water stage. She has Lumineon uses Aqua Ring and then her Gastrodon blast out of the tank. Gastrodon uses Water Pulse and it fires at Lumineon and the Aqua Ring bursts into a brilliant light. The lights form into three rings that float over the water's surface, which Lumineon jumps through, as well as Gastrodon. The rings then float closer to the surface and flatten out and shoot up whirlwinds of water. Zoey jumps onto the center and her two Pokémon next to her.
In Kenny's performance on the red stage he chooses to use his Floatzel and Empoleon. Floatzel starts by using Aqua Jet straight up into the air into which Empoleon blasts three shots of Hydro Cannon at the Aqua Jet trail and it turns into a large waterfall. Floatzel fires off Razor Wind into the water around himself, which disperses into many beautiful flying discs around the stage. Empoleon then uses Metal Claw and shatters the discs, creating a large colorful mist. To finish, Floatzel uses Whirlpool and Empoleon uses Flash Cannon. While Floatzel turns the Whirlpool sideways to face Empoleon, the Flash Cannon blasts into the center, breaking up into droplets of rainbow energy. However, the Flash Cannon is too powerful for him to hold back; the Whirlpool quickly collapses and Floatzel is thrown back.
The final performance is Dawn's portion of the Appeal Round on the green stage, where she uses Cyndaquil and Buneary. First, using a Seal that sets off a large blue ribbon that ties itself into a bow and blasts into a shimmering light she sends out Buneary and makes her spin while letting off an Ice Beam. This spinning and Ice Beam combination creates a large, roller-coaster type ice path. Cyndaquil then rolls and uses Flame Wheel and rolls down the path, making a place for Buneary to slide, who follows just behind Cyndaquil. Buneary then charges an Ice Beam and Cyndaquil uses SmokeScreen in order to cloak themselves above a large center ice spike. The glow is seen through the SmokeScreen. The smoke is blown away, revealing Buneary to be inside a large Poké Ball of ice with Cyndaquil standing on top. She bows as Cyndaquil, having used its back flames to form flapping wings of fire to clear the smoke, continues to fan, the flames illuminating the ice to give off a brilliant glow and causing sparkling snow to fall.
Marian announces the show of Coordinators that made it through to the second round. It is revealed that Dawn, Nando, Ursula, Zoey, and Jessilina (Jessie) have all made it through, but Kenny is not: he has been eliminated.
The group, along with Zoey, are saying goodbye to Kenny. Dawn is concerned about Kenny leaving, but he says he has to get ready for the next Grand Festival. He says he'll be rooting for Dawn. They say goodbye to him and he walks off.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
- Professor Oak's Pokémon lecture: Hitmonlee
- This is the first episode of the four-part Sinnoh Grand Festival arc.
- The names of the three stages of the appeals round are the same as that of the three original games, Red, Green and Blue.
- Despite the fact that a main character and two recurring characters have each owned an Eevee that has gone on to evolve, this episode marks the first time an Eevee is shown evolving on-screen in the anime, with two Eevee undergoing separate evolutions.
- This episode marks the first time a Pokémon is seen to evolve in the middle of a Contest appeal, discounting the illusory Johanna evolving her Feebas in Malice In Wonderland!.
- Not marking his brief, non-speaking cameo in A Breed Stampede!, this episode marks the first appearance of Nando since Dawn's Early Night!, an absence of 125 episodes.
- This is also the first in person appearance of Nando which is not animated by 木下和栄 Kazue Kinoshita.
- Background music from Mewtwo Strikes Back, Spell of the Unown, Jirachi: Wish Maker, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew and The Rise of Darkrai, as well as the instrumental of By Your Side ~Hikari's Theme~, are used.
- Team Rocket isn't seen in their regular uniforms throughout this episode.
- The English version of this episode aired on the same day Pokémon Black and White came out in Japan.
- Team Rocket doesn't blast off or recite the motto during the entire arc.
- During the appeals of everyone before Dawn, different pieces of music were used instead of the wild Pokémon theme from the Advanced Generation series and an instrumental from a Pokémon movie.
In other languages