From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Three Sides to Every Story!
Maril, Pochama, Elekid!!
|| August 6, 2009
| United States
|| December 26, 2009
|| Team Iguchi
|| 大橋志吉 Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Animation director
|| 岩根雅明 Masaaki Iwane
| Additional credits
Three Sides to Every Story! (Japanese: マリル・ポッチャマ・エレキッド！！ Maril, Pochama, Elekid!!) is the 137th episode of the Diamond & Pearl series, and the 603rd episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on August 6, 2009 and in the United States on December 26, 2009.
|| This article does not yet meet the quality standards of Bulbapedia. Please feel free to edit this article to make it conform to Bulbapedia norms and conventions.
This episode starts off with Dawn running away from a Raikou during a storm. She ends up at a dead end and the Raikou tries to use a powerful electric attack on her, only for Piplup to block it. Piplup manages to withstand it, making the Raikou growl and run down the mountain it was on. Piplup tries to use Peck on it, though Raikou manages to stop it using another powerful electric attack. Piplup falls down on grassy ground and it is revealed that it was merely a dream. Dawn asks Piplup what's wrong and Pikachu wakes up. Piplup looks around and starts to cry.
Later, the group manages to find a berry orchard on the way to Lilypad Town. They see all kinds of berries—including Tamato Berries, Oran Berries, and Grepa Berries. Piplup tries to smell a berry and gets smacked in the head by a Marill. The others ask Piplup if he's okay and they see the Marill. Dawn checks its Pokédex entry and asks Piplup if he's alright again. Piplup soon sees the Marill and falls in love. Dawn asks Piplup if something is wrong and Brock tells her that Piplup is in love. Dawn asks Piplup if that is true and Piplup seems to be hit by a heart. Ash says that Pokémon like each other all of the time and asks what the big deal is.
Soon, a girl calls for Marill and tells it that she has been wondering where it had run off to. She then asks who the group is, and they introduce themselves. She introduces herself as Lulu and Dawn comments on how she has never seen so many berries. Lulu tells her that it is her family orchard and that her mom and dad take care of it, though she also helps out. Brock says that that must be a lot of work and Lulu says that it isn't much at all. Brock then says that he would like to meet her parents and find out how they manage to take care of this orchard while Pikachu is trying to get Piplup's attention away from Marill. Lulu says that her parents are gone and that they won't be home for another 2 or 3 days, and that she could give them the grand tour of the orchard and that they could stay for the night as she gets lonely all by herself.
The group says that that'll be fun, and it changes to a scene where many Sunflora are seen watering the berries. Lulu tells them that they do a lot of the orchard's watering and that they get water from a well. Piplup runs up to one of the Sunflora and it lets him pull the lever to work the well up and down. Lulu notes that Piplup wants to help out the Sunflora, and Marill agrees, making Piplup feel glad. Dawn tells Piplup that it's doing a great job, and that it's also impressing Marill. Later, in a different area of the orchard, Brock comments on how the Sunflora work hard as Piplup and Marill water some of the berries, with Dawn's support. Brock then says that they get along and Dawn says that they look very happy together. An electric attack then almost hits Marill, and directly hits Piplup. The electric attack is revealed to be from an Elekid, and Ash checks its Pokédex entry. Elekid then tries to hit Marill again, with Lulu telling the group how Elekid is a wild Pokémon that has kept coming back to the orchard.
- This episode is similar to Love, Totodile Style, wherein a Water-type starter Pokémon falls in love with a member of Marill's evolutionary family, and another Pokémon is involved in this, forming a love triangle.
- While in the games, Piplup and Marill are in the same egg group (Water 1), Elekid is a baby Pokémon and as such is in the No eggs Group. If it evolved, it would still not be able to breed with Marill because Electabuzz is only in the Humanshape Egg Group.
- Dawn and Johanna narrate the preview for the next episode.
- The dub's title may be a reference to the saying "Two Sides to Every Story".
- The dub title may also be also inspired from the romantic novel "Three Sides of Every Story".
- This is the last English episode of the 2000s.
- This is the first episode since Frozen on Their Tracks! to air the entire episode in 16:9 aspect ratio in the high-definition feed. The previous 6 episodes showed the beginning of the episode (until the title card) in a 3:2 aspect ratio.
- When Piplup was pulling the handle to the water faucet it was upward; when it zoomed in, it was downward.
In other languages