From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Hungry for the Good Life!
The Gluttonous Urimoo at the Urayama House!
|| July 3, 2008
| United States
|| December 6, 2008
|| Team Iguchi
|| 藤田伸三 Shinzō Fujita
|| 古賀一臣 Kazuomi Koga
| Assistant director
|| 古賀一臣 Kazuomi Koga
| Animation director
|| 志村泉 Izumi Shimura
| Additional credits
Hungry for the Good Life! (Japanese: ウラヤマさんちの大食いウリムー！ The Gluttonous Urimoo at Urayama House!) is the 84th episode of the Diamond & Pearl series, and the 550th episode of the Pokémon anime. It aired in Japan on July 3, 2008, with Fighting Fear With Fear! in a one-hour special. It aired in the United States on December 6, 2008.
The episode opens up with Ash and co. walking down Route 212. A Cleffa pops out of a bush and Dawn checks it on her Pokédex. Monica comes from behind a tree, glad that she found Cleffa. Brock becomes infatuated with her and the gang walks up to them. Monica tells Ash and friends that Mr. Backlot's mansion is close to where they are and the gang begin to introduce themselves. Brock does his regular flirting and Croagunk stabs Brock from behind with Poison Jab. Lightning flashes and it begins to rain. The gang then hurry to the mansion.
Mr. Backlot welcomes the group and Monica brings out a cart with Poffins on it. Monica calls the Pokémon and Igglybuff, Pichu, and an Azurill come down. The Pokémon gather around the bowls of Poffin and the group decide to let all their Pokémon out.
Pachirisu, Ambipom, Buneary, and Piplup are eating their Poffins and a Swinub comes running and eats the Igglybuff, Pichu, Cleffa, and Azurill's Poffin, then runs over to Dawn's Pokémon Poffins. The Pokémon are speechless as they watch the Swinub eat their food and Mr. Backlot orders Monica to get Swinub's bowl. After Swinub is done, Dawn's Pokémon are about to attack the Swinub until Pikachu stops them. Monica sets down a huge bowl of Poffin and Swinub eats them quickly as Ash and Brock let out a breath of relief. Swinub finishes its meal and lays down. Dawn walks up to eat and says how cute it is.
Team Rocket are spying on the mansion thinking of a new way to steal Pokémon.
Then, the group are sitting at a table and Monica ask Dawn if she would like some tea. Now the group are in the kitchen, about to make Poffins. Monica sets down Berries and the group becomes excited about making Poffins. Monica instructs Ash and the group on their stirring and Dawn's Pokétch goes off telling her time is up. A plate of Dawn's Poffins are set on the table and Piplup is ready to dig into them. Swinub smells them and rushes towards the plate. Swinub starts eating them and Piplup goes devastated. Dawn grabs the plate stopping Swinub from eating them all. Ash sets his Poffins on the counter but Swinub decides not to eat them since they smell bad. Ash tastes one of his Poffins and falls to the ground with his face blue as if he's been poisoned. Dawn sets down the plate to let Swinub eat the rest and Piplup complains. Dawn reassures it that she'll make some more and Piplup bounces in joy.
The next morning, the group is out in the Trophy Garden and the Pokémon are playing with each other. Dawn comes out with Poffins and Swinub begins to run towards them. Swinub jumps in the air and lands in front of the bowl about to eat the Poffins but Dawn sets down a huge bowl of Poffins just for Swinub. Dawn yawns from sleepiness and the ground collapses. All the Pokémon fall into a hole and Team Rocket fly out of it in their new machine performing their motto. Monica tells Mr. Backlot that all the berries are gone and the Pokémon beg for help. As Team Rocket is about to fly off, Ash and Dawn jump on the machine but Ash falls down. Dawn climbs up to the dome where the Pokémon are being held and descends in the machine. Team Rocket then smoke the area and fly off.
Dawn tries to find a way to let the Pokémon free and finds a lever. She pulls it and the dome disappears. Swinub smells some berries and uses Take Down to smash through the wall. Dawn follows it and then fall out of the machine through the floor. Dawn grabs Swinub as they fall and land on a bush. Team Rocket fly off and Swinub smells something. Monica is driving in the plains and speeds through the forest. Dawn follows Swinub only for it to have just found berries. Swinub smells something and runs and uses Take Down on a tree. Apples fall and Swinub eats them. Dawn yells in disappointment and Swinub gives Dawn an apple. Piplup's face projects around the round object and tears start to form in Dawn's eye as she may never see Piplup or her Pokémon again. Swinub sees this and tries to pick up Team Rocket's scent. It runs off somewhere and Dawn follows it.
Team Rocket is eating and Swinub runs and uses Take Down on the machine. They all fall and a pile of food lands in front of Swinub. Swinub begins to eat it and Dawn confronts Team Rocket. James sends out Carnivine but it bites him on the head. Jessie sends out Yanmega and it uses Steel Wing while Carnivine uses Bite. Swinub jumps and uses Ice Shard. The attack freezes Yanmega and Carnivine and they fall back towards Jessie and James. Dawn tells Swinub to use Take Down and it breaks through the machine letting the Pokémon free. The Pokémon run towards Dawn and Ash and the group arrive. Carnivine uses Bullet Seed and Yanmega uses SonicBoom. Swinub uses Ice Shard and collides with the attacks. Dawn tells Piplup to use BubbleBeam and Ash tells Pikachu to use Thunderbolt. The attacks hit Yanmega and Carnivine and they fall back towards Team Rocket blasting off. Dawn thanks Swinub for its help and Swinub welcomes her. It then sees a pile of food and runs towards it. Dawn watches Swinub as it's eating and walks up to it. Dawn ask Swinub if it would like to go with her, surprising Ash and the group. Swinub blushes before saying Yes and Dawn takes out a Poké Ball. She hits it against Swinub and catches it. Dawn does her pose confirming she's caught Swinub. Dawn tells the rest of the Pokémon they have a new friend and the Pokémon cheer.
Back at Mr. Backlot's mansion, Ash and the group are about to head off. Monica tells Dawn that the next contest is in Celestic Town and Dawn seems ready for it. Dawn thanks Monica and the group says their goodbyes before leaving. Brock makes one last move on Monica but Croagunk stabs him from behind again. The group wave goodbye and head off onto the next destination.
- Details of this episode were made known in K-Zone, a children's magazine, before any official Japanese episode listing.
- Instead of Professor Oak's Pokémon lecture, the end of this episode featured a special trailer for Giratina and the Sky Warrior.
- Pokettari Monsutari, music from Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea, and Jirachi: Wish Maker were used as background music.
- Lisa Ortiz returns to the series to voice Monica (having previously left with the majority of the voice actors when the dub switched from 4Kids to TPCi).
- This is the first time Dawn captures a Pokémon since Buizel, exactly 50 episodes previous.
- During the Diamond & Pearl series, Ash, Dawn, and Brock each have owned a Generation II Pokémon, however, this episode, after Dawn captured Swinub, and the next episode, before Gligar evolved, are the only times in the series in which all three have a Generation II Pokémon with them, Ash with Gligar, Dawn with Swinub, and Brock with Sudowoodo.
- The fact that it is raining when Ash and co. arrive at Backlot's mansion may be a reference to the fact that it always rains on Route 212's southern leg, just south of the mansion in the games.
- This episode aired in the U.S. on the Saturday of the week in which Sleepless in Pre-Battle, in which Dawn's Swinub evolves into Piloswine, aired in Japan. The same thing happened with Ash's Gliscor, which debuted in the dub with Riding the Winds of Change in the same week that Fighting Fear with Fear, the episode in which it evolved, aired in Japan.
- In the English dub, James says "Maybe striking a famous dance pose might give you a clue". This may be a references to John Travolta's classic dance move.
- After getting out of Team Rocket's machine, the color of Buizel's collar is the same as the shade of yellow of some of the other Pokémon (most notably on Ambipom, Buneary and itself).
- In Latin America dub, like in Malice in Wonderland!, Monica calls May to Dawn.
In other languages
- German: Ein liebenswürdiger Vielfraß!
- Polish: Głodni wrażeń i Pofinek
- Italian: Un Pokémon insaziabile!
- Latin American Spanish: ¡Hambrientos de la buena vida!
- Iberian Spanish: ¡Hambrientos de una Buena Vida!
- Dutch: Zin in het goede leven!
- Czech: Hladový cti netratí
- Brazilian Portuguese: Famintos por uma Vida Boa!
- French: Une faim de Marcacrin !