| A Full Course Tag Battle!
A Full Course Tag Battle! (Japanese: レストラン七つ星！タッグバトルでフルコース！！ Seven Stars Restaurant! Tag Battle for a Full Course!!) is the 76th episode of the Diamond & Pearl series, and the 542nd episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on April 24, 2008 and in the United States on September 13, 2008.
|Spoiler warning: this article may contain major plot or ending details.|
The group are waiting at Port Valor on the Valor Lakefront. Dawn excitedly tells Piplup that they will get to meet May Just then a Beautifly flies across the lake towards them. Dawn scans it with her Pokédex, and the Beautifly lands on Ash's head. Ash wonders if he knows this Beautifly as a ferry comes towards them with May waving from the bow.
After greeting each other on the pier May gives Ash a wooden Teddiursa and Brock a wooden Ursaring. She then give Dawn a present, which turns out to be a Piplup necklace. Team Rocket are spying on the group, and grumpily note the arrival of the "Hoenn Twerpette", while rhyming. their stomachs then rumble and they complain about being broke.
The group are walking up some stairs and Ash asks after Max. May tells her friends that is back at the Petalburg Gym, taking care of her father's Pokémon just like how Brock showed him making Norman very proud. Dawn then asks how long May has been in Sinnoh, and May replies that she has been there for three days, as she wanted to do something in Snowpoint City first. She then sends out her newly evolved Glaceon and after Dawn checks it on her Pokédex May explains that there is an ice cave near Snowpoint City, where an ice crystal makes Eevee evolve. She says that it would be fun to return to Johto with a newly evolved Pokémon. She then shows Dawn her three ribbons, but not before saying that she can't beat either Drew or Harley at the moment.
May then tells Dawn that Ash told her all about her, including her two recent losses in the first round of the Contests, however May explains that her Johto Contest Campaign isn't going very well either, so the Wallace Cup should be both of their comeback contests. Ash's stomach then rumbles, and May reveals that she has made reservations at the most popular restaurant in Valor Lakefront. Meanwhile Team Rocket grumble about how they always eat well.
The group enter the restaurant and are greeted by the Maitre d'. He leads them to the next set of door, but a young man bursts out of them and says that he will go and train, and that he will eat there if it is the last thing he does, before running off. The Maitre d' then lead them through the doors to a battlefield and explains that only those who beat the proprietor and his fiancee are allowed to eat at the restaurant.
Meanwhile Team Rocket are looking into the restaurant through a window at the back, wishing they could get in. Meowth reminds them that they are the "bad guys", and so don't earn their meals, they steal them.
Roman and Kylie then introduce themselves, and Matire d' suggests that the group should battle two at a time and have tag battles. May and Dawn decide to pair up, and so Brock and Ash get ready to battle first. Brock sends out Sudowoodo and Ash sends in Pikachu. Roman sends out Snorlax and Kylie sends out Munchlax. Dawn scans them both on her Pokédex, commenting that "evolution pairs are popular."
Roman suggests that they all launch their moves at the same time, and Ash and Brock agree. The judge then starts the battle. Snorlax uses Mega Punch, Munchlax uses Giga Impact, Sudowoodo uses Double-Edge and Pikachu uses Volt Tackle. Double-Edge breaks through Giga Impact, and Pikachu dodges Mega Punch before hitting with Volt Tackle. Both Snorlax and Munchlax are knocked out. Ash and Brock express their surprise.
Roman says that the winners may proceed to the restaurant and place orders, but Ash says that it is all of them or none of them. Roman sends out Girafarig and Kylie sends out Drifloon. May comments on how cute Drifloon is. Dawn then sends in Piplup, and May sends out Blaziken which is looking stronger than ever, which Dawn checks on her Pokédex.
Just as the judge is about to start the battle there is a loud crash and the waiter runs in from the restaurant saying that all the food has been stolen. Everyone is shocked, and Mays eyes grow red and she is surrounded by fire, commenting that whoever did it won't get away with it. This causes Dawn to comment that she thinks May has turned into a Fire-type, and Brock to comment that one thing that will drive May over the edge is someone stealing her food. Dawn and Piplup wonder what happened to their "Princess".
The whole dining area looks like a bomb-site, and the Chef reports that every morsel of food has been stolen. Roman starts to despair, but May sends out her Munchlax. Pikachu runs up to say hi and May suggests that Kylie send out hers too. Both Munchlax dash about the restaurant to pick up the scent of the food, and May's then runs off happily. Kylie's is still running back and forth across the room, which makes her comment that May's Munchlax's sense of smell must be better. Brock suggests that it is its "sense of stuffing its face" which May objects to.
Munchlax then runs off outside and the group give chase. May tells Kylie and Roman to leave it to them. Meanwhile Team Rocket are stuffing their faces. Munchlax, and then the group, discover them, so they finish the food off before any of them can react. They then perform their motto.
May is amazed by the new motto, but when Brock points out a fridge nearby, she gets angry again. Brock and Ash are about to intervene, but May and Dawn stop them, reminding them that it is their turn. May sends out Glaceon and Dawn send out Buneary. Carnivine uses Bullet Seed and Seviper uses Poison Tail, but both are countered with a double Ice Beam, pushing them back into Team Rocket and freezing them all. Glaceon then uses Iron Tail to lift them into the air, and Buneary uses Bounce to send them blasting off. Buneary then starts fawning over Pikachu, which May notices, causing Dawn to comment that Buneary is a big fan of Pikachu.
Back at the restaurant, Roman thanks them and Ash says that May and Dawn did it, and May and Dawn say it was really the Pokémon. Kylie then tells them that she and Roman decided to let them eat without having a battle, but the chef tells them that it will take some time to prepare the food, as it must be made fresh. May and Dawn then decide to have their tag battle wile they are waiting.
Girafarig and Drifloon face off against Piplup and Blaziken. Girafarig uses Bite, Drifloon uses Constrict, Blaziken uses Blaze Kick and Piplup uses BubbleBeam. Drifloon spins to bat away the BubbleBeam and grabs Piplup with Constrict while Girafarig dodges Blaze Kick before hitting Blaziken with Bite. Kylie says that it isn't easy to escape her Drifloon's Constrict, so Dawn tells Piplup to use Whirlpool. Both Drifloon and Girafarig are caught in the Whirlpool and pushed up towards the ceiling.
May tells Dawn to get Piplup to use BubbleBeam, and when it hits she tells Blaziken to jump above them and use Fire Spin. The two attacks meet with Girafarig and Drifloon in the middle, creating the fusion of fire and water and sending out blue and orange sparks. The force of the attacks causes a small explosion and Blaziken lands behind Piplup. When the smoke clears both Girafarig and Drifloon are unable to battle. May and Dawn celebrate with high fives and Blaziken stands up with Piplup standing on its arm. Everyone compliments the battlers and then the Maitre d' announces that lunch is ready.
That evening the group are standing on a balcony overlooking Lake Valor. May asks Ash if he still has his half of the Terracotta Ribbon, and both hold their halves up. May tells the group that it has become her lucky charm, causing Dawn to show the group the ribbon her mother gave her, which is her lucky charm. Ash then reveals to May that Wallace suggested he enter the Wallace Cup with Buizel, shocking May. And so Ash, May and Dawn all prepare to enter the Wallace Cup, all determined to win.
- May arrives in Sinnoh for the Wallace Cup.
- Dawn and May meet for the first time.
- May's Eevee is revealed to have evolved into a Glaceon while in Snowpoint City.
- It is revealed in a flashback that Drew's Roselia has evolved into a Roserade.
- Max (flashback)
- Drew (flashback)
- Harley (flashback)
- Maitre d'
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Beautifly (May's)
- Blaziken (May's)
- Munchlax (May's)
- Glaceon (May's; debut)
- Piplup (Dawn's)
- Buneary (Dawn's)
- Sudowoodo (Brock's)
- Seviper (Jessie's)
- Carnivine (James's)
- Slaking (Norman's, flashback)
- Roserade (Drew's, flashback)
- Wigglytuff (Harley's, flashback)
- Snorlax (Roman's)
- Girafarig (Roman's)
- Drifloon (Kylie's)
- Munchlax (Kylie's)
- Much like Misty's guest appearance in The Princess and the Togepi and A Togepi Mirage, May makes a return.
- An instrumental version of I Won't Lose! ~Haruka's Theme~ is used during the battle with Team Rocket. Pokémon Symphonic Medley is also used as background music.
- On another note, I Won't Lose! ~Haruka's Theme~ was left in the dub as the background music for the first time.
- Roman and Kylie are based on the Rich Boy and Lady of the same names who can be battled in the Seven Stars Restaurant in Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.
- Instead of Professor Oak's Pokémon lecture, the end of the episode featured a memorial to The Power of One. This is part of a countdown to Giratina and the Sky Warrior.
- The dub title is the first dub title since Pokémon Ranger - Deoxys Crisis! to simply be a translation of the Japanese title.
- Ash makes a reference to his own battle against the combination of fire and water.
- This episode aired in the U.S. the same day Pokémon Platinum was released in Japan.
- When May's Johto ribbons are shown, it is observed that the last two ribbons (If May should earn them) would not have space inside the box, and would slightly peek out.
- In two scenes, one of May's gloves is colored like Ash's gloves.
- While Munchlax used Giga Impact in this episode, it could not learn it in the games then. In a certain PokéWalker area, Munchlax knowing the move can be caught, but it was not available yet when this episode first aired.
- In the Latin American dub Jessie commanded her Seviper to use "Cola de Hierro" instead of Poison Tail.
- In one scene, Drifloon was colored pink, instead of the original purple. This scene was changed into normal purple in the dub.
In other languages
- Dutch: Een viergangen koppelgevecht
- German: Das "Sieben Sterne Restaurant"!
- Polish: Dwuwalka przed obiadem
- Latin American Spanish: ¡Una batalla bien servida!
- Czech: Oběd po párovém zápase
- Italian: Uno strano ristorante!
- Brazilian Portuguese: Batalha em Dupla por uma Refeição
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|