From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Mass Hip-Po-Sis!
Save the Lost Hippopotas!
|| August 23, 2007
| United States
|| January 5, 2008
|| Team Iguchi
|| 大橋志吉 Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
|| 山田浩之 Hiroyuki Yamada
| Assistant director
|| 山田浩之 Hiroyuki Yamada
| Animation director
|| 夏目久仁彦 Kunihiko Natsume
| Additional credits
Mass Hip-Po-Sis! (Japanese: 迷子のヒポポタスを助けろ！ Save the Lost Hippopotas!) is the 44th episode of the Diamond & Pearl series, and the 510th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on August 23, 2007 and in the United States on January 5, 2008.
The episode opens with Ash, Dawn and Brock returning their Pokémon after they have eaten. Then Pikachu imitates Turtwig making Brock realize Turtwig went by itself into the woods. Following its trail, they find Turtwig which points them to a cliff where a Hippopotas is trapped. He appears scared and they decide to help him get down from it.
Ash climbs down the cliff, with the help of a rope onto the platform where Hippopotas is. Ash tries to reassure Hippopotas, but he bites his hand. He then calls Pikachu who slides down the rope, and comforts Hippopotas, with success.
Ash then hoists Hippopotas onto his arms and is lifted onto the cliff by Brock and Dawn. The gang find that Hippopotas really wanted to get the fruit on a tree, but fell in the process, so Ash gets a fruit for him, which Hippopotas devours whole. After that they continue their journey when the Hippopotas is starting to follow them. At the same time Rhonda and her Sinnoh Now Staff show up who are making a film about a herd of Hippopotas. Rhonda recognizes them and informs them that a male Hippopotas got lost from his family. After hearing the story about his family Ash, Dawn and Brock decide to help him return to his family.
They set off in searching for the herd with Hippopotas and the TV crew following them, but they all get into a pitfall trap set up by Team Rocket who takes Hippopotas in their balloon. Being scared, he responds with a Yawn, which hits Meowth. Then Ash sends out his Turtwig which uses Razor Leaf to release Hippopotas. He falls and is caught by Ash releasing another Yawn which hits Brock and Jack. Then they leave and the scene turns to Team Rocket flying around in their balloon and Meowth falling asleep.
James then explains to Jessie that Meowth has been hit by a Yawn attack and suggests they gave the Hippopotas to the boss. Then he imagines that Hippopotas would help the boss when he is playing golf by getting his golf ball out of a sand trap. Also when he is at a seaside and there is no sand, Hippopotas would make a beach for him.
The scene then turns to Ash, Dawn and Brock. Hippopotas is carried by Ash on his head and Brock is seen being sleepy followed by a fall to the ground. They notice Team Rocket in their balloon and decide to hide behind a nearby bush. After they realize they forgot Brock, they see Croagunk dragging Brock behind the same bush.
The scene turns to The TV crew with Rhonda carrying the microphone after Jack fell asleep. The scene reverts to Ash, Dawn and Brock who has just woken up. They come across a bridge which is under construction when Team Rocket lures Hippopotas into their balloon with the help of a fishing rod and a bait. Then Hippopotas uses Sand Tomb and brings the balloon down to earth. Ash appears and sends out Aipom who uses Focus Punch to send Team Rocket blasting off. Back on Ash's head, Hippopotas releases another Yawn, this time on Dawn, making her yawn, and eventually fall asleep.
Next, they continue their road with Dawn being carried on Brock's back. They come across another bridge, which they proceed to cross it. Team Rocket shows up and uses a net to capture Hippopotas. Ash jumps on the net which breaks and they both fall into water. Then Brock sends out Croagunk which uses Poison Sting to send Team Rocket blasting off again.
The scene turns to Ash and Hippopotas who struggles to get onto the surface. Then Dawn sends out Buizel to rescue them. The scene is skipped to a scene where Dawn is drying Hippopotas while Ash is drying his own body. They decide to take Hippopotas to the nearest Pokémon Center, and hurry off. At the Pokémon Center, Hippopotas is soaked in the sand, and Nurse Joy asks Ash and the gang to gather some more dry sand for Hippopotas. They agree, and the scene turns to them gathering sand in a bag. They return to the Center and cover Hippopotas in the sand who starts recovering. Then they set off in searching of the herd again.
On their way out, they see Team Rocket who are disguised as a pair of sand salespeople. Not recognizing them, Hippopotas releases another Yawn on Jessie and Ash decides to let Hippopotas try the sand, before buying it. Then, Team Rocket closes the bag revealing their true identity then rush to the balloon. As they recite the motto, Jessie starts to fall asleep, and Hippopotas escapes out of the bag.
Next, James sends out Cacnea and Ash sends out Turtwig. Cacnea uses Pin Missile but Turtwig dodges and uses Bite then Razor Leaf followed by a Tackle. Then Pikachu uses Thunder and sends Team Rocket blasting off again as Jessie wakes up. The group heads off to a large desert, where they see Hippopotas footprints. They sense that Hippopotas are near, when Hippopotas calls out to them, resulting in plenty of Hippopotas popping out of the soil. They leave Hippopotas there, but, before that, Ash tosses him a fruit, which he gobbles down. Then he releases another Yawn resulting in Ash falling asleep.
They once again proceed on their journey with a sleeping Ash being carried on Brock's back and a sleeping Pikachu in Dawn's arms.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
- Music from Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea, and Because the Sky is There are used as background music.
- Hippopotas is seen riding atop Ash's head (at Ash's insistence), despite weighing over one hundred pounds (almost 50 kilograms).
- It also doesn't weigh down Team Rocket's balloon, however it does after using Sand Tomb. This is an example of anime physics.
- Jessie frequently mispronounced Hippopotas's name. (In the dub, it's a different way each time.)
- It is also one of the few episodes since Tricks Of The Trade in which Jessie's Wobbuffet didn't appear.
- Professor Oak's lecture returns.
- Professor Oak's lecture: Mothim
- Pokémon senryū: ガーメイル おてがみかいたよ eメイル Gāmeiru, otegami kaita yo, imeiru "Gamale, it wrote a letter, an email"
- Ash narrates the next episode preview.
- The same Hippopotas from this episode appears in Sleight of Sand!.
- When Jessie states that she wants a script change, Meowth says "they'll call Cassidy". Coincidently, in the next episode this same Hippopotas appears in, Cassidy is in it.
- In this episode, Team Rocket uses a variation of their motto.
The green on the top of Cacnea's head turning yellow
- When Brock tries to feed Hippopotas with Pokémon food, his hand is much lighter than it should be.
- When Rhonda met up with Ash, Dawn and Brock, she was holding the microphone in her right hand and waved them with her left hand. The next screenshot, it was reversed, but after that it switched again.
- In the scene where Ash's Turtwig uses Bite on James' Cacnea, the green on the top of Cacnea's head is yellow. The same thing happens when Turtwig uses Tackle.
In other languages