From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Dawn of a New Era!
Pochama VS Subomie! Hikari's First Battle!!
|| October 5, 2006
| United States
|| June 7, 2007
|| Team Iguchi
|| 冨岡淳広 Atsuhiro Tomioka
|| 日高政光 Masamitsu Hidaka
| Assistant director
|| 牧野行洋 Yukihiro Makino
| Animation directors
|| 木下和栄 Kazue Kinoshita
| 牧野行洋 Yukihiro Makino
- Screenshots on Filb.de
- 日高政光 Hidaka Masamitsu was the former director of the Pokémon anime.
- Early reports credited 高木信一郎 Shin'ichirō Takagi as the animation director for this episode.
Dawn of a New Era! (Japanese: ポッチャマ対スボミー！ヒカリ初バトル!! Pochama vs. Subomie! Hikari's First Battle!!) is the fourth episode of the Diamond & Pearl series, and the 470th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on October 5, 2006 and in the United States on June 7, 2007.
Ash and Dawn have started traveling together; however, they do not really fit each other. Wanting to get Ash to acknowledge her power, she challenges Pokémon minstrel Nando to a battle!
Dawn is going to try and catch a Buneary. She is really excited but she forgets to enlarge the Poké Ball. When she eventually does, she slips and throws the ball at Ash's face. Ash gets annoyed and they start arguing. After the argument, Piplup points out that the Buneary has run off. This influences more arguing. Then suddenly there is a blast of sunshine. Brock implies that this is the move Sunny Day. Ash and Dawn stop arguing and Dawn notices a Budew in front of them. Ash scans it on his Pokédex. Then suddenly a Pokémon Trainer, Nando, appears. Ash and his friends introduce themselves. Dawn requests a battle with Nando and he happily accepts. Nando asks her what her quest is, then the battle begins. Team Rocket are hiding in a nearby bush. Jessie claims she could easily beat the "twerp" in a Pokémon Contest. Dawn releases her Piplup and Nando his Budew. Dawn has the first attack: Peck. Piplup charges at Budew but it dodges. Then in mid-air Budew uses Bullet Seed. Piplup dodges this attack and uses BubbleBeam which does little damage on Budew. Nando commands Budew to use SolarBeam and Piplup uses Peck but isn't quick enough and gets hit full on by SolarBeam. Piplup faints and the battle is over. Nando then congratulates Dawn on a good battle. Nando wishes them good luck and then leaves. Back in the bush Jessie claims she could beat Dawn again.
- At the time the title was revealed, Budew was not yet known to the public.
- Music from Lucario and the Mystery of Mew was used as background music.
- The eyecatches feature Ash (wearing his Diamond and Pearl outfit), Dawn and Brock. The first shot shown just before the commercial is a close up of them, while the second shot shown right after the commercials shows their whole bodies. Also, the logo got moved from bottom right to bottom left. These would be the same shots for the rest of the series.
- Professor Oak's lecture: Pokémon Centers
- Pokémon senryū: ジョーイさん あいたくなったら ポケモンセンター Jōi-san aitaku nattara, Pokémon sentā. "When I want to meet Nurse Joy, Pokémon Center."
- Nando's harp is shaped like Mew.
- Before the end of the episode, the semi Poké Ball on Dawn's hat is missing the filled in pink circle, leaving only the outer circle icon on the hat.
In other languages
- French: Ca barde pour le barde
- Czech: Žádný učený z nebe nespadl(a czech proverb, vaguely meaning meaning knowledge doesn't come easily)
- Dutch: De nieuwe wereld van Dawn
- Italian: Il nuovo mondo di Lucinda & L'alba di una nuova era
- Iberian Spanish: Maya y una nueva era
- Latin America Spanish: ¡El amanecer de una nueva era!
- Portuguese: O Amanhecer de Uma Nova Era!